406 Heater

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Fognozzle

406 Heater

Post by Fognozzle »

Hi Folks,

My 406 is definitely improving, I've:
* Had the coils replaced and the oil leak fixed
* Had the heater core replaced
* fixed the re-circulation flap servo
* Had an engine mount replaced

The car is now a pleasure to drive, although there are only two on-going niggles which I haven't yet solved:

The heater is still insane. While idling ind the driveway, the heater responds to touching the temperature buttons very well. As soon as I go for a drive, the heater cycles through its full range of temperatures all of the time, and that is from 14 degrees to 30 degrees. I am starting to think that there is a voltage regulation issue coming into play here, but I don't know where to look. I connected a meter across the temperature sensor that usually sits at the lower left front of the heater unit, and the voltage varies with temperature exactly as expected. The control system doesn't seem to be taking any notice of this. Where is the control system?

I'd love to hear from anyone whom has any experience of this or similar issues, as I am willing to get in and try a few things. Especially before next summer.

The second issue is the message on the dash and a beep indicating "ESR not operating". My mechanic told me that it is the switch on the dash, and they are hard to get. I proved that wrong, but I don't know where to look next. It isn't a big problem, but it would be nice to fix it.

Thanks

Foggy