central locking only works on passenger door 1 in 3 times

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hamlet101

central locking only works on passenger door 1 in 3 times

Post by hamlet101 »

Hi,

I've been having problems with my central locking, specifically the front passenger door fails to unlock, and I have to lock/unlock about 3 times to get it to unlock eventually. The two rear doors are fine. I also have problems locking the car, where it fails to lock ALL the doors (makes noise though), and I have to try several times.

I'm wondering if the passenger door mechanism is just a bit sticky, and if it jams on locking all the doors remain unlocked, but on unlocking does not 'block' the other doors.

Is this likely something I can fix myself - or a garage job?
406Olly

Re: central locking only works on passenger door 1 in 3 times

Post by 406Olly »

I just replaced the rear passenger side lock on mine and it was actually a fairly easy job, took around an hour.

Just bought a used unit off ebay for about £10. There's a good video on youtube shows you how to do it.

The faulty one usually makes a different noise to the others if you put your ear to the door and listen whilst locking.

Just gotta get the engine running right now :lol:
pugnut
1.8 16v

Post by pugnut »

Very straightforward job to swap out, used ones are plentiful and cheap on ebay, the only thing I couldn't work out was how to disconnect the long steel lever going to the interior door handle mechanism. I just cut it and re connected both ends with an electrical connecting block.

I drilled out the rivets and destructed my old one to see what was going on inside. If you fancy taking one apart and intend re using it, good luck. Anyway, what's inside is a surprisingly small 12V motor, the lock mechanism itself, a microswitch which is actuated as the motor engages or disengages the catch. The microswitch I believe is the weak point. If it doesn't engage the central locking mechanism thinks it's unlocked. It's a bummer you cant replace this 50p part but like I said, used ones are cheap and plentiful. Hope this helped.
406 Exec 2.0 HDi 110
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

My passenger rear door didn't unlock sometimes but i should have tackled the job while it was playing up because now it is deadlocked and won't unlock at all so i now have the hassle of trying to change it with the door stuck shut. :(
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750