Mirror Controls

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Mirror Controls

Post by highlander »

Hello

I've had a spot of bother with my door mirror controls. The rotary joy-switch thing has been going haywire - in the left position, it does nothing, in the right position or centre position, it controls the right mirror, and occasionally locks / unlocks the doors ... And the mirrors have spontaneously been pointing themselves at the floor without being told to do anything. Even while driving, which is useful.

An auto-electrician diagnosed the fault as being with the switch itself. They disconnected the rotary switch, but left the mirror controls connected. I bought a replacement control unit from Ade1122, and swapped it over - but now the rotary switch does nothing except fold the mirrors in (in the back position) - it doesn't control the mirrors at all. The electric window controls work fine too.

I tried switching back to the original control unit, and it also doesn't tilt the mirrors at all. So I've put the replacement control unit into the car again with all three connector blocks plugged in and come inside, because it's bloody freezing outside.

Is there a fuse or something that protects the mirror tilt function, separate from the mirror fold function? I actually noticed that the seat memory doesn't seem to work either (the buttons do nothing, including when I try to program the drivers' seat memory).
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Mirror Controls

Post by GingerMagic »

Do your mirrors point down if you are in reverse?
I think if you have memory seats then maybe there is an issue with this function too, as they are connected....

Edit, just reread your last paragraph, if the mirrors are not connected then your seats won't work - pointing to some dodgy mirror wiring.....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Must be worth checking the fuses. The diagrams say passenger fuse compartment fuses 22, 16 + 8 all do the memorisation thing :roll:

Sounds kind of like your switch took a bath...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I've had a few electric window or door mirror issues on various cars that seem to be down to not using a particular switch or switches for some time. They seem to recover with use and a good, hard prod or two.

You might also have an issue with your door wiring loom / connectors - could be worth a look.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
paniya88
1.6 8v

Post by paniya88 »

I also have a problem with side mirrors and seats. When I turn on the key sometimes seat move forward and mirrors are readjusting. My mechanic told it's due to the memory seats unit. You might want to check that