Can anyone help??

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

JasonBoi88

Can anyone help??

Post by JasonBoi88 »

Hello all,

I was looking to upgrade from my hdi 90 to a shiny 2.2 exec and got one cheap (enough) as the dpf was blocked. Had it booked in to "unblock" and to save it going dead, I disconnected the battery :shock: bad idea as now the immobiliser has activated and at worst it's forgot it's transponder chip. I've since bought a dodgy copy of pp2000 but can't get it to activate on the laptop, and with limited funding, I'm at a loose end. Peugeot reckon it "should be around £80" to fix but I know what they're like and as they need the sorn'd car taking to them I think I'll need to explore cheaper options. Also I snapped a spring on the 90 which has had to go as I couldn't warrant fixing the old girl so now I'm working out of the mrs' corsa which has a (suicidal) tendency to fire on 3 cylinders from time to time, probably coil pack packing up.. So back to the point, do any of you helpful and knowledgable gentlmen know of any kindred spirits in the Leicester area who would be able to help a brother out?? For a price o'course!
Cheers
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Can anyone help??

Post by GingerMagic »

Are you near Coalville..?

You also need the 4 digit pin number that should come with the car, maybe in the handbook somewhere - this and PP2000 will sort your car out.

To set up the PP2000 can be a pain, but there are walk-throughs on YouTube. Once installed, the most common mistake is to enter the version in 4 digits, it needs to be just the first 2 IE 23, not 23.25.

As for the 2.2hdi, I've had two of them and both have been ultra reliable despite popular belief. Of course mine was a little bit 'improved' by simplifying the vacuum, losing the DPF etc - all of which is documented here using the knowledge base on the home page.

Good luck with it :cheesy:

Welcome, by the way....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi & Welcome aboard. 8)

Whereabouts in Leics? (I'm not that far away). There may be others nearer.....

Are you saying your car now won't start or is it just the remote central locking you've 'lost'?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
JasonBoi88

Post by JasonBoi88 »

Hi GingerMagic and Doggy, cheers for the replies. Apologies for my late reply, bank holiday has been busy.. I'm in Braunstone Town on the western edge of the city by the A47. Interesting about the digits on pp2000, it was they key generation part I was struggling with as it wouldn't generate one! My computer I.D. number (or summink) was reading zero too so not sure if that was also a factor as on the YouTube guide the pc had a number and not just a single zero like mine. I signed up to here a while ago before I had the 2.2 and there was a guy -paddy something, who said he could get the security pin for a fiver if I remember rightly, don't suppose you know who i mean? If not I'll have to go round the houses at Peugeot but it's do-able. Doggy, the car will turnover but won't start and just displays engine immobilised and they yellow key and lock light comes on. I should probably get a diagnostics guy out and see if he can get it sorted by wiping codes and see where that gets me. As for reliability, I had a 306 tdi on an R reg that went to 192k before I decided I needed a bigger car, great reliable car -with simple electrics!! Then I got a 406 hdi 90 which was also extremely reliable. Paid 450 for it and it lasted over 2 years before a spring snapped and it saw some good, hard action too.. :wink:
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

You'll be needing the four digit pin code that comes with the car on a credit card type card,
There's are ways around this but I can't remember, on a plus side I have pp2k & live in Thringstone
Nr Coalville, leics not far from you, if you need a hand give me a shout & I'll try & help :) DDD
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Sounds like it's not 'seeing' the immobiliser chip in the key. That can't be re-programmed simply using the PIN code as you can for the r/c central locking.

Do you get a chime from the dash if you leave the key in, ignition off & open the driver's door? If not, that confirms it can't read the chip in the key.
The RFID chip is read by a coil assembly that fits round the ignition lock - check if this has worked loose or moved.
Have you more that one key - is it the same with both?

If none of the above work, your best bet to resolve it is probably going to be buying a matched set of engine ecu / BSI / ignition key body c/w immobilser chip - then your car will 'become' the donor vehicle as far as the electronics are concerned. These bits ideally need to come from a very similar age / body style 2.2 diesel, with the same engine ecu plug configuration, (1 or 3 plugs), and hardware / software codes. You might get away with a set from a 2.0 110 HDi. but I can't be certain. Typically you can get a set from a breaker for £80 - £100, or maybe you can happen on a car someone's scrapping.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
JasonBoi88

Post by JasonBoi88 »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the reply's and offers of help. After talking to a few diagnostics guys and having no luck finding a complete bsi/ecu/key/infra red barrel surround thingy, I've decided to reluctantly sell the old girl and thought I'd give the people who offered help first dibs! You lucky lads, you! :lol: if none of you want it I'll stick a brand new thread up.
So here's the details:
It's a 406 executive 2.2 hdi estate
52 plate
Around 130k
Black paint
Window tints
Tinted sunroof
Alloys all round
Full leather seats
Heated front seats
Dog guard
Plastic boot tray
Cruise control
Electric mirrors/windows/sunroof
Spare wheel
Log book in my name
Air con

Bad points:
Around 15 different paint chips/rust bubbling all between 1/4 and 2 inches dia.
Some bubbling under a couple of the sill rubbers
A square inch tear in one of the rear quarter window tints
Dpf light comes on
Airbag light comes on
Engine immobiliser is activated -see thread for details!
Car won't start because of immobiliser so would need towing or trailering away.
Haven't driven it since October (I think) when I bought it and drove it home (to leicester) from Thirsk (near sunderland). Car drove fine apart from dpf light but that didn't affect it as far as I could tell (having not driven it without the light coming on!)

Think that's it but any questions, let me know.
If you want pics let me know and I'll try to put some up unless you have whatsapp which is easier for me as I'm a massive technophobe! In which case, pm me your number and I'll do my best to get back to you asap.

Cheers, Jay
JasonBoi88

Post by JasonBoi88 »

Oh yeah and it's up for £300 ono