can anyone help with diagnostic on old 406?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

duke
1.8 8v

Re: can anyone help with diagnostic on old 406?

Post by duke »

jonsowman wrote:Sorry to hear of the headlight woes, but yes do message me when you're ready and we'll sort out a suitable time.
hi i just needed to vent there before i exploded!after all that the 2nd lamp turned up,broken!obviously broken before it was packed as the entire bottom plastic mounting point is broken of and not in the box so back to square 1 looking for right headlamp for n/s,i guess its the price we pay for doing it ourselves and not paying the robbers to do it,nearly there though a small miracle in itself as she passed the emmissions test no problem this time just showing that the previous mot station failed to run it up to temperature before doing the test which they get away with by bypassing the oil temp probe on the analyser a right con imo and allmost all older cars are sure to fail unless there at running temp and i wonder how many folks get sold a new cat or ecu lambda etc which they didnt really need?
its funny because im an old hairy hippy type and they take one look at me and think i dont know about cars anyway im getting there a bit at a time and will be jolly glad when im done,thanks and pm will be along shortly.mark
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

well in the continuing adventures of duke mends headlamps it turns out the seller has no other lamp in stock to replace the broken one and has refunded my money leaving me without a lamp for the n/s so i decided in my wisdom (or not) to take the new but broken lamp and the old but unbroken lamp and build 1 good working lamp from the 2,cant be that hard i thought so i have spent this morning with a combo of tensol acrylic adhesive and a hot melt glue gun using the bracket from the old worn out lamp which was easy removed using a red hot stanley knife and a blowtorch i then carefully cleaned and scored the plastic on both pieces and used tensol and masking tape to hold in correct position till tensol drys about 6 hours and then had the problem of fitting headlamp adjuster correctly as this lamp unit came without the springs that are meant to hold the reflector steady till you fit the adjuster making fitting a bit harder but with a combo of very skinny fingers through the bulb hole and the spring from the o/s lamp i managed to fit it and it seems to be holding ok.
i know most folk probably think im a bit mad bothering and tbh there right but it took me ages to find the lamps at a price my minute budget allows and have learned to be resourceful when needed which atm is all the time but i now,touchwood should have 2 headlamps that fit the car and only cost me £50 and a few hours of my time,back later with some pics maybe,peace
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Well done. When my old 2.1TD was reversed into I managed to get a pair of headlight units from a breakers for £10 :cheesy:
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

jonsowman wrote:Well done. When my old 2.1TD was reversed into I managed to get a pair of headlight units from a breakers for £10 :cheesy:
hi jon the breakers only had lamps nearly as worn out as the old ones and as the old girl passed the emissions test and the money i not had to spend on bits for the engine have been spent on new lamps i got a small budget but i think sometimes its easier to change than mend,but only once i have attempted to mend it first!but its booked for retest wed so should be legal again soon,take care
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

woo whoo!car finished 2 new headlights fitted and working ready for retest only bugbear is the new lamps came without bulb holders for the indicators and 1 of my 2 is a bit iffy and only seems to want to work in the not quite right position but i shall sort that later as long as it stays working for retest!! :P im aiming to get her round to 2000000 miles,only 40000 to go,peace
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

well just got back from the retest,passed but despite 2 new headlamps and bulbs the headlamp leveler on the n/s doesnt work but i think its the motor bit and as they passed now i just wont use the switch i didnt even know was there until the mot tester showed me!i learned where the fog light switch was on the last mot as well!they did charge me £15 to do the headlamp aiming but i degrudge spending a penny on a job i can do myself but since ive no beam setter i had no choice but it did make me feel better hearing other customers bills for mot work in hundreds of pounds all in less than £130 not to bad for a 20 year old pug,of the southend in it to pick my grandkids up tomorrow i do hope that dartford crossing behaves!peace
deMarcel
1.6 8v

Post by deMarcel »

congrats on the pass buddy, I hope it'll serve you well in the future 8)
Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Prins VSI LPG, galileo green

Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Vialle LPG, polaris blue

Coupe 3.0 ES9J4S automatic, settant anni no. 0076, hades grey
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi all well after reading most of this and other forums on these petrol 406s i changed the 2 water temp senders imo a strange arrangment but for once both came and fitted and today she started a bit smoother and seems happier but until the lead comes and i can get her on a diagnostic the tickover is to low unless i put the lights on then it sits at 1000rpm without drops down esp when cold to 750rpm and then stalls so im hoping this just means the new stepper motor now needs setting to correct number of steps for the car so,a new ecu,new coil pack,every sensor on the engine other than tps new exhaust,cat,clutch,clutch cable,front brakes,rear w/cyls,and full service including the fuel filter and tank filter,anything ive missed? :lol: i will tell how she runs later but the engine is smooth now no longer shaking about on tick over,peace
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Hi Duke,
Don't wish to state the obvious but have you cleaned the throttle body with a tooth brush & some carb cleaner ?
These allways get gummed up, mainly with the oil mist in the air intake due to the engine breather system :roll:
In my 28 years experience of working on petrol engined car's, if they've got a low tick over this has been the cause :wink:
Got to be worth a try, a few minutes & a five pound tin of carb cleaner :D
Hope this helps DDD :cheesy:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote:Hi Duke,
Don't wish to state the obvious but have you cleaned the throttle body with a tooth brush & some carb cleaner ?
These allways get gummed up, mainly with the oil mist in the air intake due to the engine breather system :roll:
In my 28 years experience of working on petrol engined car's, if they've got a low tick over this has been the cause :wink:
Got to be worth a try, a few minutes & a five pound tin of carb cleaner :D
Hope this helps DDD :cheesy:
hi yes i have given the entire throttle housing a good clean out and its all spotless even all the breather pipes are clean and good nick i also fitted a set of injectors i was very lucky to get cheap from a peugeot dealers going out of bussiness complete set with all new seals and all carefully fitted myself and i have checked also for induction leaks of which there are none but tbh other than stalling when shes cold she drives super now and i believe the fault all along may well have been the water temp sensor for the ecu as she seems far happier since i changed that,just awaiting arrival of the com lead and hope setting stepper motor will cure the cold stalling,thanks for your input.
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi all well today my now 20 year old 406 passed another mot now 175000 miles on the clock and no advisories for the first time ever in now 6 years it seems i finally gone full circle playing catch up! :) :lol: now i just got to make a new window for our caravan and we can go away again to the forest,i miss the forest trips,peace
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi all well i still have the ancient 406 its still going at some 1800000 miles has been trouble free all bar getting hit by an idiot taxi doing an illegal uturn which did a little cosmetic damage and most annoyingly broke the exhaust and due to the age of the car and the ridiculous £146 insurance valuation would mean the car being written of if i claimed on his insurance so he paid me for the damage and i replaced the exhaust so saving the car again,but since then i have had the old problems reoccur with the damn thing eating stepper motors at the rate of atleast 1 or 2 a year and being as the last was an oe fitting im lead to think something on the car is damaging them somehow overvolting or something,the car has had new ecu new coilpack all new sensors all bar tps ,the other day it frightened the fecking life out of me as i went to pull away the revs shot up to over 3000rpm and would not drop down i switched ignition of and on again still revving like crazy so at side of road in the dark i fitted the spare stepper motor and it ran as normal again!
my question is does anyone have knowledge of the system and any ideas that dont involve having to have a scanner tool as i still to poor to buy one i do have the hook up cable so if any one kind enough to do a reading id be willing to pay a little and hopefully find a cure as im fed up changing the damn stepper motor!maybe some sort of protection diode or fuse might help idk enough and as said not the funds for a scanner,thanks for reading,peace :D
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi all well monday the old 406 is going for the mot i have done all the bits i could see and just hope and pray she passes on the emissions :lol: she has had full service even changed out the brake fluid after fitting the new rear drums shoes and cylinders i also done away entirely with the original pile of crap so called auto brake adjusters and made my own manual adjuster with an access hole via the face of the drum simple and stays adjusted now also handbrake is perfect now!
still not located an affordable scanner though but was lucky it seems the replacement ecu learns and has adjusted stepper motor settings as tickover is perfect now even when cold she steams a bit but no visible gases from exhaust once up to temp,cant find a petrol tank cradle either so hope it not gotten to much worse since last mot!anyhow if anyone cares i shall post how it does,peace :oops:
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi all well the old girl passed the mot again today and only 1 advisory not bad for a 21 year old 406,now i just need to replace the power steering pump and serpentine belt tensioner! :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Congratulations! 8) I didn't see your post Sunday (the board does that sometimes :roll: ). Can't believe you can't find a D8 in a breaker's somewhere to pinch the cradle out of. Is there enough left to have it patched?

I've no experience of 406 drum brake adjusters (drums in disks have a manual jobbie) but my experience of them on other cars is either they work perfectly or they're junk. And you can stop them working by greasing them :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.