Starting problem..

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Malc
2.0 16v

Starting problem..

Post by Malc »

My ignition barrel/switch is a bit iffy but with a bit of waggling the old gel starts on the button.
Yesterday the engine turned no probs with a very good battery but no start achieved.
With still enough juice in the battery decided to push start/ignition on and on first clutch kick in had an immediate start..
Now leave the old gel on an incline just in case and when I have the same fault the engine (HD) starts as per above..
Any ideas?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Starting problem..

Post by GingerMagic »

Replace the barrel.....

I replaced the barrel and leads on t'wifes Picasso as her blower wasn't working - it fixed the blower but she couldn't start the car - but I could...
It was just like a scene from some hidden camera show, she was trying and trying but it wouldn't start, I would try and it started very time, she tried holding the key differently, squeezing the key and everything but nothing worked for her, I could just reach in and turn the key and it started - I wasn't popular..
It's fine now, I think it must have been static or something, the missus would be dreading starting it so perhaps it was her negative aura....but it starts for both of us every time now.

If you don't get any warning on the dash for immobiliser fault, then maybe it's a similar case to our Picasso??
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Malc
2.0 16v

Post by Malc »

Many thanks GingerMagic an interesting theory. I've swapped keys and still no difference.
The car is 2001 HD and the barrel needs a wiggle to bring on the facia dials before turning the engine but it has always started first time after that.
My hope is someone might have a clue as to why I got an immediate engine fire with a push start (which I know is not recommended for 406 HD's) but nothing on an engine turnover with a good battery.
I'm going to go over all the relevant cables and connections today to see if the problem may lie there.
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

On the barrel, there are two lugs which loosen up, resulting in the need to wiggle to before turning. I would check that first as it's a very simple (and cheap!) fix.
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
Malc
2.0 16v

Post by Malc »

Thanks your reply Captain Jack.. Cleared the starting problem by going through Pp2000 and clearing all the faults. Still have to waggle the key but when contact made she starts first time..
Malc
2.0 16v

Post by Malc »

The motor now only turns by bridging the starter solenoid to B+ so I'm now down to a complete ignition switch failure and have decided to renew it.
Waiting for the new switch and cable(s) to arrive I gave the job a trial run using Haynes as a guide.
Not as easy as explained. In my case the transducer appears to be glued permanently to the switch barrel and not removable by (as Haynes put it) just pulling it off.
The simplest solution would be to remove the small transducer wiring plug at the back but it just won't budge.
Grateful for any help.
Malc
2.0 16v

Post by Malc »

Just found this Youtube video entitled Key Barrel, Ignition Switch, Stalks, Steering Wheel, Clock Spring and to which I'll add for search purposes Immobiliser, Dashboard and Instrument Panel removal which others may find useful.
It says the key transducer/immobiliser is clicked into place. Fingers crossed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmopRvK_FMo

Grateful to hear if anyone has done the ignition switch change.
Last edited by Malc on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malc
2.0 16v

Post by Malc »

As the old gel is almost ready for the knackers when the MOT runs out (unless I can get a trade in) have decided in the interim to abandon the idea of a new ignition switch plus cable(s) change and go for a mod ie bridging the starter solenoid to B+ via a self return switch..
Reason being have the old switch and cabling out of the car and can see the idiot (Peugeot maybe?) that glued the immobilser bracket to the barrel has blocked access to one of the locking pegs making it impossible for any new switch change.
Once again Haynes was not much cope in telling me which wire colour was which so with multimeter and home-made probes from safety pins pierced the wires and found the blue wire from the ignition was to the solenoid and yellow +12V.
Advancing the ignition key to "display on" then a flick of the new switch and the car starts right away.
Malc
2.0 16v

Post by Malc »

Posting above refers.
Was just about to go down the road of the solenoid by-pass switch and was doing a bit of ohmic metering on the faulty ignition switch plugs and cables etc when I noticed on turning the ignition key to full on/off/on/off a very a small flicker on my Avo8 multi-meter.
Gave the ignition switch a good doze of WD40 down through the cable apertures to lubricate and clean the switch contacts and it appears to have done the trick!
What a bit of luck. Let's hope the remedy lasts..
Good old WD40
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Nicely done sir! Crap in the ignition switches, who'd have thought? One for the books I reckon.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Malc
2.0 16v

Post by Malc »

Thanks Steve..
Looking at the flimsy plastic encapsulated starter switch and assuming the starter solenoid drawing up to 8 amps plus at switch on?
A lot of spark and subsequent carbon deposit on the switch contacts over the years..
It won't deter me from buying another of the most beautiful not to say comfortable cars presently on this planet.