Engine Diagnostics Warning Light Coming On

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Steveo
1.8 16v

Post by Steveo »

Hi Gents

I own a 1998 2.1TD Executive saloon, manual - 186k miles.

During a long 5 hour each way trip this weekend, whilst gunning it quite hard up a hill, on two occasions, the engine cut out, steering went heavy and Engine Diagnostics Warning Light on the dash came on.

After rolling into side road (luckily no accidents occurring), having turned the ignition on again a few seconds later, the car started fine, the warning light went off, and the car drove fine. The engine wasn't showing as being very hot or running low on water or anything.

Possibly clues: I had the main fuel injector replaced a couple of months ago, although has been running perfectly since then. And I spotted I've got too much oil in the engine (based on the dipstick).

Any ideas anyone please?

Many thanks

Steve
Xarlitos
1.6 8v

Re: Engine Diagnostics Warning Light Coming On

Post by Xarlitos »

Hi Steveo,

I'm a newbie around here so you should wait for a reply from one of the experts, but when a simillar thing happened to me it was the campbelt about to "go" (and it did "go" around 1 thousand miles after) and the Engine full of oil was mainly some engine tubes and turbo (although I also fixed the EGR at the time, but probably because of the Turbo, not sure if it was related with the leaking oil...).

Have you ever had your Turbo and Campbelt looked upon?

The tubes I think you can check by yourself if they look good or bad (although you can have a nice looking tube that is leaking).

Hope that someone around here can lead you in the right direction :|
Steveo
1.8 16v

Post by Steveo »

Thanks for this Xarlitos

No I haven't had the turbo or cambelt looked at.

The cambelt was replaced at 118k miles, so it's on my imminent mental to do list, although I probably wouldn't replace it just to see if it cures the problem....Catch 22?!

The only engine oil I'm referring to is where I've overfilled it and so visible on the dipstick.

Thanks

Steve
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Worth checking the fuel filter and the in-tank strainer. (Somebody had a 2.1 with a sludged-up strainer a few years back, IIRC).
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Steveo
1.8 16v

Post by Steveo »

Thanks for your suggestion Doggy...

I've today had the fault diagnosed as the fuel pump...

I understood they said a Delphi pump was used on this model (1998 2.1TD), but not for long as it was too expensive to use and repair.

Specifically, they said it's the fuel adjustment governor within the pump that's gone, but to replace governor would cost £300 alone just to factory calibrated afterwards.

New pump (I think they said Lucas Epic) supply and fitting £1400!!!!

So anyone any idea where I might pick up a second hand pump for my model and what it should cost? Or just try my luck on Ebay?

Many thanks

Steve
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I had a similar problem with my C5, it would just cut out and eventually start again OK, my wife noticed that it would always happen on a hill. One day it happened as I was driving in through the woods which is on quite a steep slope, at the same time the oil pressure light just flashed on. I checked the oil level and found it a little low, not empty by any means but that was the problem. I don't know whether this also applies to the 406 but there is obviously a safety cut out that shuts the engine down in the event of low oil pressure, topped the oil up and it was fine until it happened again. Never had the problem with the 406 as it doesn't use any oil at 240k miles! but the C5 at 200k does.

Peter
Steveo
1.8 16v

Post by Steveo »

Thanks for your replies Peter

I (or accurately my local garage) has found and ordered a second hand one for me from Ebay for £200 - exactly the same as the old one apparently, so I'll see if it's a gamble that pays off. I was thinking about bowing out of the old girl, but this latest round of expenditure means I'll need to stick with her a bit longer! I guess at 186k miles she's a babe compared with your 240k miler!

The only oil level problem I might have is her being over-filled rather than under.

Cheers

Steve