Remote central locking

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hugh
1.8 16v

Remote central locking

Post by hugh »

Hi everyone,

So I replaced the battery in the remote key (99p - thanks eBay!). The light came on constantly for about five minutes then went off. The big button doesn't do anything. The little one's rubber has partly disappeared into the housing. I tried reversing the polarity just in case. I took the battery out and tried again and the light didn't do anything at all.

Is the key bust? (possibly I put the final nail in the coffin by reversing the polarity?) Or, worse, could the car's system be duff?

Any and all help very gratefully received.

Regards

Hugh
T9 406 1.8 petrol (borrowing my Dad's)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Remote central locking

Post by Welly »

Putting the battery in arse-about-face shouldn't hurt anything, it just won't operate.

Sounds like the remote's button is permanently engaged to me. You should be able to source a new remote?? and change over the circuit board and security chip from your old unit.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
hasler88
1.8 16v

Post by hasler88 »

Im sure you need to resync the key after taking the battery. Cant remember the procedure but someone on here will know
hugh
1.8 16v

Post by hugh »

Thanks very much guys - might be a bit simpler than I thought looks like then. Why do I always assume the worst??
T9 406 1.8 petrol (borrowing my Dad's)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

hugh wrote:Why do I always assume the worst??
Because Peugeot.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

hugh wrote:Hi everyone,

So I replaced the battery in the remote key (99p - thanks eBay!). The light came on constantly for about five minutes then went off. The big button doesn't do anything. The little one's rubber has partly disappeared into the housing. I tried reversing the polarity just in case. I took the battery out and tried again and the light didn't do anything at all.

Is the key bust? (possibly I put the final nail in the coffin by reversing the polarity?) Or, worse, could the car's system be duff?

Any and all help very gratefully received.

Regards

Hugh
(I tried reversing the polarity just in case)

The battery might now be fubard,

'Sometimes Cheap batterys dont have much power in them when you get them they come from china.
Grab a Varta one from asda /tesco or something.,