406 - inside light problem.

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

moh85

406 - inside light problem.

Post by moh85 »

Hi guys,

New owner of 406 2.0 1999 peugeot. First of all - I love driving with it. So smooth. I dont always believe its from year of 1999.

The problem. Inside lights. I cannot get them working when opening the doors, unlocking the doors or locking (there should dim when locking, light up when opening?)

Inside lights works only when the power is turned on from the key. And then lights works only manually (so even if the power is on and I open the door nothing will happend). All the doors are same. Opening frot doors, back or tailgate lights do not turn on. Yeah, its automatic/manual/off/on position. Nothing. I cannot figured out whats going on. Any ideas where I should first look? I hate electric jobs so Im not expert :D
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: 406 - inside light problem.

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there, welcome :cheesy:
moh85 wrote:406 2.0 1999
Ah. I think we're going to need slightly more information than that - is your chassis number lower or higher than 8080000?

Possibly a daft question (but I have to ask) have you looked at the fuses?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
moh85

Post by moh85 »

Hi,

Well, In my plate, if you mean vin/chasses plate (on the slam planel), I can see number 80619XXX. So its under 808..

Yes, I checked all the fuses, inside and outside :cheesy:

Oh and then, Also another problem I have! And its more important. My rear fog light do not work :idea: (I know there is only one fog light, not both sides)

I have also checked out all the fuses (inside/outside). Also I think my relay is working too (if there is a relay for it?) My front fog lights are working perfectly. I can see the sign (back fog light light) in my dashboard tho. Is there any common place I should check what is going on? I need to get this car to check out during this week and fog light needs to work. Its finnish regulation ... Damn :D

Just let me know what the .. I can do. Good advices are always welcomed and ask if you need anymore information. I will let you know guys!

And thank you!
moh85

Post by moh85 »

removed :supafrisk: (same than my last post)
Last edited by moh85 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi and welcome aboard. 8)

Your post was waiting for approval - there's not always one of us around when you need us. Anyway, you have >2 approved posts, so won't have to wait in future.

Good luck with the light issues.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

With regard to the fog light, use a multimeter to check if you are getting power to the bulb. If no power check backwards to the switch. Check switch is receiving power from the light switch.
As to the interior light problem, remove one of the door switches and earth it. If the light still does not come on, check power to the light.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
moh85

Post by moh85 »

Rolebama wrote:With regard to the fog light, use a multimeter to check if you are getting power to the bulb. If no power check backwards to the switch. Check switch is receiving power from the light switch.
As to the interior light problem, remove one of the door switches and earth it. If the light still does not come on, check power to the light.
First, sorry for being inpatient.. Now I know to waite. And totally understand why.. Thanks.. 8)

About this fog light switch, What do you mean about it? I believe light switch is working because in my dashboar I can see the rear fog light sign. (Also the fuses are still fine) I was just trying and listening.. is there anykind of relay for this? I mean I can hear my front fog light relay klicking (they are working perfectly). But when turning light switch to rear fog light nothing. I was looking for relays and there is four same kind of relays (under the fuse box). Black ones. Do you know which one is for my rear fog light? Can it be the problem. Also - There has been a lot of talking about a tow hitch (or tow bar) and its electricity. I have no idea is my tow hitch that caterogy I should check out the wires. Its so rusted I think I cannot open it :cry: Oh, Can I test it with multimeter if the "trailer mode" is on so the switch is still down and thinking I have a trailer behind of me without breaking it down to pieces?

But yeah, when I have multimeter I let you guys know more about results. Also about interior light situation!

Sorry guys, I try to find the solution a bit slowly. I totally appreciate all the help you are giving! :)
markw
2.0 Turbo

Post by markw »

Re your internal courtesy lights.....
Make sure that the original bulbs haven't been replaced with LEDs by a previous owner. On older cars such as your one (no offence) the courtesy light switch operates in such a way that current goes through the lamp in opposite directions, depending on whether it's set to 'auto' or 'manual' and as an LED can only work with the correct polarity, this might be why you can only get illumination on manual.
2001 ES9J4S Coupe Manual Diablo
moh85

Post by moh85 »

:lol: I know its old. I understand. And I understand all the problems which are coming up.. Its old and been driving almost 300K kilometers. So Im so happy things are as good as they are.

Well, inside lighting problem getting better. I saw those wires and I gave some hit on them (shaked).. Now if I open back/passanger door they works. So I believe in driver door its all about this switch (dont work with driver door).. But shoud the light stay on a while when closing door? And also should the light get on when opening doors with key? Dim when closing doors with the key button?
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

moh85 wrote: Well, In my plate, if you mean vin/chasses plate (on the slam planel), I can see number 80619XXX. So its under 808..
Ah splendid, it's a D8 (pre-facelift). Actually, that puts it's date of manufacture around July 1998. That should make things a little easier as there's no BSI (central computer) to worry about.
moh85 wrote:Well, inside lighting problem getting better. I saw those wires and I gave some hit on them (shaked).. Now if I open back/passanger door they works. So I believe in driver door its all about this switch (dont work with driver door).. But shoud the light stay on a while when closing door? And also should the light get on when opening doors with key? Dim when closing doors with the key button?
I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty on the function of the interior lights on a D8 as it's a long time since I owned one, perhaps someone with a D8 can confirm? It is starting to look like it's bad connections though. Same with the fog light too I suspect.

moh85

Post by moh85 »

hahaha, Im a bit rusty too :) But overall good to see something positive is happening and I almost can see the light end of the tunnel. Almost 8)

I think first I will take the driver door switch off and clean it. Lets see if things get better. Its enough for now to get some light when opening doors. Im doing night job so finding a keyhole in a dark car can be annoying sometimes. (Also Im always mad with every - even small ones - problems and fixes I can find. I know, old car has it character but still..

If anyone can confirm me about this fog light situation: Is there anykind of relay? I think it isnt working, could be simple as that. And also if any idea where it is located. I know its (I think) one of those black relays under the fuse box. I did find the relay of the front f-lights.. Also I could see if the power goes as far as this.. I know I could go and go through all the relays but I am more comfortable front off the laptop in a warm house :) And see if anyone knows.. If not, then I need to go and be hero :D
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I can't actually find a relay for the rears, I can for the front but I guess they're a lot more powerful.

I also came across
6555 30 NFP INTERIOR LIGHT TIMER - UNTIL RPO 07875 INTERIOR LIGHT , GOES OUT IMMEDIATELY
6556 E2 NFP - SINCE RPO 07876 COURTESY LAMP, GRADUAL SWITCHING OFF

Your car is somewhere near this change...

moh85

Post by moh85 »

Well then, its possible that light works like that it is now operating. I do not mind that, just hopinh that cleaning driver side switch makes all doors working as they should.. Lets see where my interior light will land.

I need to get this car check out tomorrow. Crossing fingers they only give an oral "warning" about the non-operating rear fog light. Time is not on my side..

Got also a bit annoyed when changing licence plate light (huh, lucky only one was broken). There wasnt any plastic covers so the lights are now without any protection. Lol, wasnt easy to replace the non-working one. Damn! Lucky its now working and need to find those covers somewhere.. (if anyone has and is willing to ship to Finland give a privat msg :) )
pugobsession
1.6 8v

Post by pugobsession »

I may sound daft or old school, but how about simply bypassing the computer box so you have all manual switches? I own a 1988 Peugeot 505 sedan. Everything is manual except for the power windows, the front ones do work but not the back windows. Simply go manual. That way you know you are in control, the on/off lights are just a finger length away, and will give you decades of trouble free service. Believe me, I hope to own a 406 sedan myself. Its a good car. In my book, the best car ever made by a European manufacturer. How I wish my car had manual windows!
pugobsession
1.6 8v

Post by pugobsession »

Image this is the car that I fell in love with, except for the power windows!