Don't have foglights, what wiring is there?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

FunkyNige
1.6 8v

Don't have foglights, what wiring is there?

Post by FunkyNige »

At the moment by '97 406 does not have front foglights, but I'd be interested in getting some off eBay and wiring them in as driving lights that come on with full beam.
Does anyone know if the wiring from the fusebox is essentially in place at the moment or would I have to wire in everything myself? I remember on my old Civic there was the wiring leading to the fusebox but I had to sort out the relay, earth, etc. myself.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Driving lights? Wow where do you live? Even here in the UK we only get a couple of days a year bad enough to require foglamps!
neilirwin7
1.8 8v

fog lights

Post by neilirwin7 »

I fiited fog lights to a 97 406 1.8LX I had. Loom was all there - just needed lights, relay and new stalk
La beauté echappe aux modes passagéres
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

mjb wrote:Driving lights? Wow where do you live? Even here in the UK we only get a couple of days a year bad enough to require foglamps!
Does't stop twats using them as additional lighting to their dipped beams and blind everyone on the road!
Not saying FunkyNige will do so, of course.

When will people learn that having both sets on in anything but fog or fecking horizontal driving rain is ILLEGAL!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

The ONLY TIME I have ever used my front fogs is to give them a brief flicker AT the idiot coming towards me with his foggies on.

Obviously they think I am a right twat for suggesting they were using additional driving lights in fine weather and they leave them on knowing, as they do, best.

Interestingly, Vehicle Lighting Consultants have document that, in fine weather, using additional lighting immediately in front of a vehicle i.e dipped beam AND foggies increases the foreground lighting and causes your pupils to close down, thus reducing your distance vision :| at speeds of over 30 MPH at night foreground lighting is of secondary importance, distance lighting is the most important at night.

So, not only do people with ''foggies on'' annoy others, they are in danger of causing an accident through there own poor eye sight.

Beware.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

It's the ones who use main beam in fog you need to watch out for... Prats completely oblivious to the fact it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces visibility for the driver and anyone unfortunate enough to be within a 50 yard radius of the prat!

I've used my foglamps twice, both times visibility was down to under 20 yards. First time was on a motorway, I just wanted to give drivers behind (that I couldn't see) some advance warning that I was there and second was on a country lane where I discovered front foglamps can actually improve visibility, albeit in extremely rare circumstances. Actually I tell a lie. 3 times. I was at the back of a traffic queue on an otherwise empty dual carriageway and visibility was down to about 100 yards. Turned it off as soon as someone stopped behind me though.
FunkyNige
1.6 8v

Re: fog lights

Post by FunkyNige »

neilirwin7 wrote:I fiited fog lights to a 97 406 1.8LX I had. Loom was all there - just needed lights, relay and new stalk
Thanks for that, looks like it won't be a major job, thank god.

I think people are misreading what I meant by 'driving lights' - my mistake - I don't intend to use them in the fog, I'm going to have them come on with full (high) beam. So unless I'm being slow in changing from high beam to low beam, no-one else should see them on.
neilirwin7
1.8 8v

Post by neilirwin7 »

If you add the stalk control with front fog with the appropriate relay it makes the job much easier - no mucking away splicing wires - you can then switch them on with full beam as you please (or not) Having them come on might be an MOT failure anyway.
La beauté echappe aux modes passagéres
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

neilirwin7 wrote:If you add the stalk control with front fog with the appropriate relay it makes the job much easier - no mucking away splicing wires - you can then switch them on with full beam as you please (or not) Having them come on might be an MOT failure anyway.
yes this will fail the mot, as it will be a non-obligatory lamp excessively interfering with another obligatory lamp
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems