Real Alarm Troubles....

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

mr-coolcat

Real Alarm Troubles....

Post by mr-coolcat »

Hi All

Looking for some advice please....I've got a Pugeot 406 2.0 Exec Auto Saloon (2000) W Reg and had this problem for a while now
I can lock the doors & set the alarm with the fob buttons and all is fine, then after a while the alarm goes off but there doesn't seem to be a specific time frame to this ie: walk away and leave it 5 mins then it goes off....it seems totally random. is there any way of resetting the alarm or something? at the moment I've resorted tojust using large button on the fob to lock and not set the alarm :frown:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Welcome :cheesy:

I have had this on my exec T reg recently, funnily enough it has happened more with the windy days.

I have resorted to turning off the interior sensors.

(you can still deadlock it BTW)
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Yup, it seems as if the excitable alarm is caused by the ventilation system leaking gusts of wind into the car and triggering the ultrasonic sensors. At the moment I'm hitting the ultrasonic kill button every time I leave the car :(

Someone's suggested leaving the car on recirc before you park up, but it doesn't work for me. YMMV
mr-coolcat

Post by mr-coolcat »

Thanks guys for all your advice

but being relatively new to the car how do you kill the interior sensors? all i've been doing is using the big button on the fob which locks it apparently and the smaller button sets the alarm is this true?
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

The big button locks it AND sets the alarm (I think) the small button dead locks the doors so you can't break a window and just reach - in and open the door.

After you switch off the engine, and remove the key from ignition, press and hold the alarm button down by the handbrake, after a few seconds it will flash. This means the interior sensors are now off.

Leave the car and lock it in the normal way, you will note that the red light on the switch continues to flash, those in the know might see this and know the ultrasonics are off so you might want to cover it with something, like a £20.00 note, yeah that'll do it :P
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

On my D8 the big remote button just locks/unlocks the car and disables the alarm. The small button is the one that activates the alarm and deadlocking. Also my ultrasonic deactivating button is to the right and down of the steering wheel, next to the headlamp adjuster and dashboard light dimmer, so the light is hidden for the most part :) The button is the one with a dot with three brackets coming off it if that helps.

Also, the light flashes rapidly following an alarm activation until you switch the ignition on, so you know you've waken up the neighbours.

Funnily enough I can tell there's someone in the next road along from me who's recently got a Peugeot. I haven't seen it yet, but his alarm goes off when it's windy and I recognise the sound ;)