faulty speedos

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

johndoe

faulty speedos

Post by johndoe »

i have got a dicky clock it bounces between 20 and 40 mph and drops to o mph also when parked with hand brake on it gives reading of 15 - 20 mph , bleeps and says handbrake on . car is 2001 yreg 406 hdi took to peugeot for computer to check for faults they said every thing was working upto the speedo and probably the cluster at £694.25 supplied and fitted ,which i thought would be the end of it, but no they did the work and guess what it was not the the clock has any one had this problem before and can shed some light on it please also getting done for speeding becos of faulty speedo :idea: :idea:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Hello johndoe, dear oh dear, what a nuisance that is........

The handbrake bleep is easy, it is just a simple switch that sticks a bit on the handbrake lever, mine did it all through the summer and if you give the lever a good 'work out' up and down loads of times it can stop it happening for a while. In fact mine has not done it all through this winter so far.

You can of course remove it and replace, the switch is only a couple of quid and there's a couple of guides on here on how to do it, try a search on here for ''handbrake switch'' etc. if not let me know and I'll have a good look for you as I've seen it before.

I don't know about the speedo, the earlier D8 406's did have a problem (which can be fixed) with the speed 'module' it's like a box of tricks that converts the speedo reading into the dial reading you see on the needle it's located somewhere on the bulkhead under the dash I think.

Someone on here will know a bit more for you I'm sure.

Surely you can get your money back from Peugeot or at least get them to sort it properly at no cost to you?

Usualy if a main dealer quotes you for a specific repair and it turns out to be incorrect then you have course to complain etc, etc.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
johndoe

Post by johndoe »

hi welton thanks for reply , but when i said about handbrake bleep i was parked up the car was not moving and i think it is all connnected to the fault what ever it is, the speedo was giving a false reading the car was ticking over going no where , also speedo reading is 214ooo miles ta johndoe
johndoe

Post by johndoe »

problem sorted turned out to be short in cable behind clock fixed by peugeot at no extra cost so happy days :D :D :D :cheesy: :cheesy: