windscreen wiper fuse blowing

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dado
1.8 8v

windscreen wiper fuse blowing

Post by dado »

Hi all I have a 2001 y reg 406 glx 2l petrol estate on a trip down to cornwall yesterday the wipers on the car packed up on looking in fuse box saw that the 20 amp fuse had blown replaced it twice more on the trip when switching on wipers fuse blew agin. tried putting in 30 amp after a while turning wipers on again it blew this fuse.!!!! replaced with 20 amp ok at moment. any ideas please before I take it to a main dealer.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Fuses are there for a bloody good reason. If a fuse pops it's because something is doing something bad and the fuse is protecting everything else. Never replace a fuse with one of higher value unless it's necessary for a replacement part.

Back on topic, it sounds like one of your wiper motor's in trouble. Either it's dead or something's stopping it from doing its job properly causing it to draw more current. IIRC (sorry, don't have the haynes to hand) the wiper motor is on a simple circuit with just power, the motor, a fuse, and the relay.

I'd suggest removing/disconnecting said motor and moving the wipers around by hand for a bit to see how easily (or not) they move. Also you can try operating the motor with it disconnected. If it blows the fuse when it's not attached to the wipers, it's almost certainly gone.

(unless of course someone else can think of a possible cause)