Air Bag light on, I fixed it within 5 mins but why?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Air Bag light on, I fixed it within 5 mins but why?

Post by Welly »

My Air Bag light started flashing last night, so when I got home I was excited at the prospect of fixing it, excited because I have been paying attention around here and knew where to look for the most obvious cause 8)

I had a good check around all the electrical connections under the drivers seat (and there are a lot on the exec) and without actually finding a 'loose' or 'bad' connection I had fixed the problem and the Air Bag light stopped flashing.

So, I don't really know which connection was at fault, only that I went round them all, pushing them tightly together and it worked :shock:

There was only really one 'iffy' connection thinking about it, and this was right at the back of the seat base where a rear seat passenger could catch it with their feet :roll: I dont know what it does (and both front seats have it but its a really loose connector and separates easily).

Anyone else know?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Davva2004
2.0 16v
Location: Stood beside my 406 with a sledgehammer, cursing everything French

Post by Davva2004 »

I had exactly the same problem with mine after I moved the passenger seat all the way forward to treat my smelly aircon with one of those tins of aircon cleaner. I also thought that the wire to the seatbelt pretensioners had been knocked loose, but fiddling under the seat I couldn't find any stray wires at all, just gave everything a good wiggle and when I reconnected the battery the airbag light stayed off and it's been fine ever since.

Think it's just one of those French things.
[email protected]
Niz406 wrote::arrowu: Winner of the 2007 New Years Competition :cheesy:
Juzza
1.8 16v

Post by Juzza »

Had this. It's the orange wire with the funny connector which goes to the seat belts. It checks and controls the explosive charge which goes off to keep the driver/passenger tight in the seat in a crash situation. I have had to solder mine together as excessive foot movement used to make the air bag light come on. I have a mechanic friend who plugged his box of tricks in to see which one was complaining...it was both of them! If you solder them up you'll be fine but be careful - people keep saying disconnect the battery first as they can go off with hell of a bang if activated! (Don't forget your radio code though if you do disconnect! :cheesy: )
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

if i mpve the position of my seat the airbag light starts to flash, an d after a while it will stop. now all i can put this down to is that the tension straps are stretched causing light to flash then settle down causing light to stop flashing.