ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dervpower
2.2 16v

ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT

Post by dervpower »

ran out of diesel yesterday DOH!!!!!!!!! eventually got it going again after someone kindly came to my rescue with a gallon however as the car stopped on a steep hill i had to be towed on to the flat after flettening the battery i got it going by bump starting it and now the engine managment light is ligt continuosly would this be due to insufficient fuel pressure or low cranking voltege after flattening battery and is the only way to extinguish the light by means of a diagnostic reader ANY IDEAS?????
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

It could be that the lack of fuel pressure has triggered a fault, or even the flat battery, the ECU only needs an incorrect voltage back from a sensor and the light will come on.

You could try disconnecting the battery for 30mins ?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Keep your fingers crossed that after you put a fair bit of diesel in, it'll just go away, Peugeot style. Otherwise, I bought a diagnostics code reader for £23 delivered. It can reset the engine light also.
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
dervpower
2.2 16v

Post by dervpower »

was gunna have a go at disconnecting the battery but as per usual there seems to be no sign of the dreaded radio code!!! can i ask where you got your code reader from does it do air bag lights as well?!!!!!
SHD1983
1.6 8v

Post by SHD1983 »

I got a Fault Code Reader for ~£30 from http://www.ukobd.co.uk when the ECU Warning Light kept comming on on my 406 HDI LX. It identified the two problems I had pretty acurately (Throttle Position Sensor and Glow Plugs), though I understand they can be somewhat limited for more complex problems.

Socket for the Fault Code Reader is under the black panel to the right of the steering wheel for OBD Complient Cars. Mines a 2000 year car not sure how many earlier ones are complient. Best of luck
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

dervpower wrote:was gunna have a go at disconnecting the battery but as per usual there seems to be no sign of the dreaded radio code!!! can i ask where you got your code reader from does it do air bag lights as well?!!!!!
Not a problem, I got mine on http://www.talktomycar.co.uk and it was the U380 (23.49 delivered). It's supposed to read and reset the engine management light.
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi