My introduction and any chance of help!!!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

gaznasty
1.8 8v

My introduction and any chance of help!!!

Post by gaznasty »

Hello all 406 owners please could someone help me!

I have a 1999 Peugeot 406 HDi facelift version (90) and have a technical enquiry.

The car arrived with 2 keys, 1 normal key and the other fob having 2 buttons for central and deadlocking, I would like to get a spare 2 buttoned keyfob and programme it to work with my car.

I also have the confidential code card (with picture of key on card) my enquiry is the 4 digit code on the card is it for the transponder or for the keyfob circuit to lock and deadlock the car? or both?

I also have a mechanical key number too with is a 9 digit alpha-numerical key, along with the Peugeot/Citroen diagnostic tool I use to communicate with my Peugeot/Citroens, I would like to add another 2 buttoned keyfob (i presume it would have to be a new transponder chip id45 and I presume I couldnt reuse a second hand circuit board) how would I go about entering the details of a new blank transponder id45 chip and new keyfob into the car ECU using the Peugeot software, I have managed to find someone who will sell me a new 2 button keyfob and transponder for £75.

I dont wish to take over the world, just update my ECU with another key without killing off the old working keys!! I am just a little uncertain how to proceed and dont wish to end up with an unstartable car.

Thank you in advance and please help me if you can, I would be genuienly grateful

Garry
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: My introduction and any chance of help!!!

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there. Not that I'm going to be able to help much but it keeps your post up the top of the list. When I needed a new key for mine they needed the card with the number on it to get into the system, I don't think you need this code to talk to the BSI so I reckon it's for locking. I presume they moved the transponder chip over to the new key so they won't have needed it for this. There will of course be a chip inside your "dummy" key, you could transfer this over to your new one to save further expense and messing around (or take it out and glue it inside the cowling - only you will know :wink: )
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

Hello and welcome , the card that you refer to is the one that was
missing in the manual wallet to my car , the dealer needed those
numbers to be able to order a new ignition barrel when mine went
tits up . I had to order a complete set of locks and ignition instead
so it seems thats what the numbers are for .
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
gaznasty
1.8 8v

Post by gaznasty »

Hello to Steve_Earwig and Puggy and other members of 406 OC,

I am going to get a replacment keyfob but after ringing the main dealers and being quoted £182 + Vat, I found a place called Hickleys who can supply the "new" 2 button fob and transponder for £75 + Vat, however i didnt think they came with the confidential card as this was a Peugeot thing.

So to clarify my thinking, the confidential keycode card is purely to unlock and relock the BSI unit whilst making these minor...well fairly major alterations!

is it reasonable to say that a second hand central locking/dealocking plip could be used as long as a new transponder chip is used for the BSI to update and use in the car? I have the diagnostic kit to communicate with Peugeot/Citroens and was slightly uncertain on proceedure for updating keys without deleting old keys etc.

I currently have 2 other keys from a scappy car but the inards are of a different circuit board from that of the car I own and one with a sticker saying PRI (primary) and the other SEC (secondary), I have tried the resync proceedure but clearly the car is way more intelligent than being tripped up at this early stage. I am trying to find a 2 button fob off a 1999 406 to match my current 2 buttoned keyfob (but am also curious as to keyfobs from 206's being compatable)

So can anyone help, i'm not wanting to be a pain, its all in the interest of Science or more specifically, my Peugeot 406!!!!!!

Thank you in advance.

Garry
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi & Welcome. 8)

The dealer computer system, (Peugeot Planet 2000 - some of us have 'clones'), needs the 4-character code from the card to get the car to 'learn' a new r/c fob, (or fobs), before it will work the remote central locking. As Steve said, the transponder chip also has to match the original for the immobiliser to function, then there's the physical key blade.....

I'm guessing your existing 2nd key must have these last 2, or it wouldn't work, so they just need matching up with a new fob.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
gaznasty
1.8 8v

Post by gaznasty »

Hello dogslife,

Thank you for all your help, it clearing things up in my head and thank you also to steve_earwig and Puggy for your input too, it really has helped.

I also have said "clone" and software too but never ventured into the field of key fob/transponder updating so I just have to find the details in the releveant menu within Planet Pug.

Could I ask if its fairly straighforward, with minimal properbility of killing the car!

Thanks for the help so far, I am grateful, Garry
Catflem
2.0 16v

Post by Catflem »

Christ, I miss the days of walking into your local car spares shop and handing over a couple of quid for a shiny new FS2889, or any other FS number.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

gaznasty wrote:I also have said "clone" and software too but never ventured into the field of key fob/transponder updating so I just have to find the details in the releveant menu within Planet Pug.

Could I ask if its fairly straighforward, with minimal properbility of killing the car!
I did it with mine, after losing 'synch' when disconnecting the battery. It wasn't difficult, mostly a case of following the on-screen prompts.

Don't remember the precise sequence - think I had to go into 'new car configuration' or something to that effect to find it, but I do know that the available options and information presentation vary a great deal even between D9's of different ages - there are progressively more functions going from 99 to 2000 to 01 to 02. But it stands to reason it must be in there somewhere.
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

Catflem wrote:Christ, I miss the days of walking into your local car spares shop and handing over a couple of quid for a shiny new FS2889, or any other FS number.
ah a old bl fan
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

In those security conscious days, they helpfully stamped the key no. on the ignition lock, so you could read it thru the back window with binos. :oops:
Failing that, knock the quarter light of a mk2 Jag a few times & it pops open, open door, bonnet, fusebox, wedge spare fuse between the only other two, thus turning on the ignition. The Coventry marque even thoughfully supplied a separate starter button, so you don't need the key.....
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

sorry that i'm no help in this matter, but in my case, that i don't have the 4 digit card, will peugeot get me the code for some quid ?
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
gaznasty
1.8 8v

Post by gaznasty »

Hello Gentlefolk of 406OC and RayneR,

Thank you all for the help, i look forward to the help and from my "research" so far I have have found that some Peugeot Garages wish to charge for the pin information and the odd select Peugeot garage doesnt.

I have asked for my pins as i have a Peugeot 406 HDI, 806 SVDT 1.9, Peugeot 106 1.5d and a Citroen Xantia exclusive 1.9 diesel auto (with suprise suprise a "dud" AL4 gearbox and is reluctant to move anywhere in first and reverse once its above 8-10mph its fantasitc, but i digress) and a Citroen Xsara 1.4i and now have pins for all of the care of the internet and they match the vehicles cards 3 out of 5 correctly! i know as the codes have been scratched off and match my "check" pins from online, i dont have the other 2 cards so i dont know yet.

now i look forward to finding the correct 2 button keyfob with new id45 transponder and its time to use the "clone" and learn again.

Thanks again to all who have contributed, once i've had a go trying to get a "virgin" transponder and keyfob I'll send 1 of either 2 posts,

1) either to say thank you for all your help and as a result of teamwork, its all sorted! :D

2) or ask for help on trying to "unbrick" a BSI on a 406 and help get the car going again!!!!! :lol:

Regards Garry
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

RayneR wrote:sorry that i'm no help in this matter, but in my case, that i don't have the 4 digit card, will peugeot get me the code for some quid ?
Search for a post called 'Peugeot VIN to PIN' on http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/
Post your VIN someone will reply with your 4-character PIN.
oilyrag2015
1.6 8v

Post by oilyrag2015 »

RayneR wrote: Tue May 17, 2011 6:07 pm sorry that i'm no help in this matter, but in my case, that i don't have the 4 digit card, will peugeot get me the code for some quid ?
Today I went to my local Peugeot dealer for some parts and to ask for the code that wasn't included when I bought the car. I took along my Driving licence and registration document as requested for this purpose. The service bod then printed an estimate for the parts, including the 4-digit transponder code. For free!
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Cracking result, and for a price that I relate to :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.