My introduction and any chance of help!!!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: My introduction and any chance of help!!!

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

oilyrag2015 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:54 pm
RayneR wrote: Tue May 17, 2011 6:07 pm sorry that i'm no help in this matter, but in my case, that i don't have the 4 digit card, will peugeot get me the code for some quid ?
Today I went to my local Peugeot dealer for some parts and to ask for the code that wasn't included when I bought the car. I took along my Driving licence and registration document as requested for this purpose. The service bod then printed an estimate for the parts, including the 4-digit transponder code. For free!
Congratulations on the freebie, but might I say

Holly Thread Resurrection Batman :cheesy:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
oilyrag2015
1.6 8v

Post by oilyrag2015 »

I know, I know, but it’s a matter very close to my heart! My recently purchased 406 Rapier needs a transponder key. That and the central locking is bouncing the door locks back every time I try to lock it with the manual key. I don’t have Peugeot Planet and probably too old to get my head round it if I did. The same Peugeot dealer who gave me the codes for free also quoted upwards of £200 to test the locks and supply me with a remote key. Even with that, there’s no guarantee the locks will stop bouncing back out 😫
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

The car thinks that one of the doors is open, therefore not locking the car...
Changing the door locks may fix it - but I'm not sure how to identify which door is playing up.
Maybe removing the central locking fuse will allow you to lock each door manually ( like the old days )
Once the locks are sorted, your current key might work again..?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
oilyrag2015
1.6 8v

Post by oilyrag2015 »

Hi Ginger Magic. You're right about the locks. Thanks for your reply and suggestions. much appreciated.

In the spring this year, just after I got the car, we had some heavy rainfall, and the carpet was soaking wet. At the time, I read someone else on this forum mentioning water ingress in the driver's foot well playing havoc with the central locking, amongst other things. I had managed to dry it out and fix the door seals, but the locks were still playing up. Yesterday I lifted the carpet for the first time to check the wiring. I noticed there was still a film of water between the carpet insulation and the metal floor pan. However, the wiring attached to the sill below the carpet was not noticeably damp, being slightly above where the water was collecting. After wiping the floor plan until it was dry and testing the locks, it hasn't solved the problem.

I am still looking at various options, like a local automotive locksmith. If all else fails, I expect I'll just pay Peugeot the full whack to fix the locks and order a new remote key from them.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Okay.
Those connectors are a pain, and can easily corrode and cause issues once water has got to them.
Doggy had a similar issue with the locks on his car, and by using Peugeot Planet he identified the faulty lock and just replaced it - job done.
I feel that going to a Peugeot dealer will get the same result, but you may have to sell your kidney to cover the cost :shock:
My friend Sonia has a 406 with the same issue, buy removing the fuse was a good way to secure the car in the meantime.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

oilyrag2015 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:13 am I know, I know, but it’s a matter very close to my heart! My recently purchased 406 Rapier needs a transponder key. That and the central locking is bouncing the door locks back every time I try to lock it with the manual key. I don’t have Peugeot Planet and probably too old to get my head round it if I did. The same Peugeot dealer who gave me the codes for free also quoted upwards of £200 to test the locks and supply me with a remote key. Even with that, there’s no guarantee the locks will stop bouncing back out 😫
Post up your location with a shout out for pp2k nearby
Might be someone local that can help.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:

oilyrag2015
1.6 8v

Post by oilyrag2015 »

Thanks for that suggestion DDD.

I am in Newport, South Wales, so if anyone on this forum has Peugeot Planet or knows of someone local who has it, and can help, please let me know? If not in Wales, then Bristol, which is only 30 miles down the M4.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Bit far for me to help you,
Put a shout out asking for pp2k in general chat.

Also are you on the Facebook group?
Might be worth joining that & asking on there.

oilyrag2015
1.6 8v

Post by oilyrag2015 »

Never mind. Thanks again for your suggestions. I have the same car as you, also in Monaco Blue, 2002, except it’s only an HDi 90. I am quite interested to hear how you managed to find a bit more power, I am considering a remapping service from HD Tuning who are not far from me (Bristol). I don’t want to blank the ECU though. I recently cleaned the ECU with an aerosol product. Seems to be a bit smoother, but it would be nice to bump up the bhp a bit.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Think you mean EGR & not ECU , but you might have cleaned it for all I know :cheesy:

More power, right where to start, yours is the Siemens system so HDi tuning are your best bet.

Me I did, Deep breath.
Mocal oil cooler
Large intercooler (made be yours truly)
Flowed head
Bigger maf
Hybrid turbo
New injectors
Re-built high pressure fuel pump R90
Moded high pressure valve
K&N panel filter
3" turbo back exhaust
ECUedit, custom map.

Result around 170ish bhp depending on the dyno
Went like a well mapped 2.2 16v HDi , a lot of work I know but most of it was done because it was in bits & seemed
rude not to :cheesy:

Now back down to around 150 bhp with less extreme mod's to sell her.

oilyrag2015
1.6 8v

Post by oilyrag2015 »

yeah I meant the EGR. My bad...