crazy electrics!!!!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

barlos1973

crazy electrics!!!!

Post by barlos1973 »

hi

a week ago me i went to my local tesco, like you do, but unlike you do when i came back and tried starting my 406 hdi 110 ( 2001 with 135k) the damn thing wouldnt!!! the computer was saying engine immobliser fault:(........ so basicaly the thing was churning but not firing up.

Now the wierd thing is the electric remote fob stopped working. Also the week or so before the automatic light switch feature stopped working ( i was having to switch on the lights with my own hands....torture!). also everytime i tried to start her the wipers would come on enad i couldnt switch them off. So for FEW HOURS I SAT THERE IN A TESCO CARPARK like i dipstick with wipers and lights going on everytime i tried starting her, until the nice man from the AA came. The guy spent 3 hours on her but just couldnt cure it....took of the battery, plugs, fuses etc in hope of rebooting her, but sadly to no avail. Anyway he kindly towed my car back home, until i decided what to do ( his recomendation was i burn the damn thing....!).

anyway for the next 2 days i'd go outside and try starting her up , but the same thing ( wipers on etc etc.) However on the 3rd day she fired up!! and has been running perfect. even the automatic lights work again etc etc . Only thing still not working is remote key fob, so i'm having to lock her with the key.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated as i'm dead broke right now , so dont wanna go to the dealers who would charge me and arm and a leg just to have a look.....
thanks
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

The joys of auto electrics :cheesy:

the trouble is it could be a million and one different things. Check the usual first, fuses, earth connections, all the different plugs and connectors under the bonnet ( there are a few that can get water logged and corrode quite badly). Hopefully this will through something up. I find dealers are all too quick to blame the ECU, and that is definatley wallet emptying territory.

Fog
miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

My car indicates left if you turn far to the right. This is a feature for going round roundabouts etc. I dont like it though, as it can also indicate left when I just turn into a side street. :evil:
2002 Black 406 Executive 2.0HDi
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

miniman wrote:My car indicates left if you turn far to the right. This is a feature for going round roundabouts etc.
Please confirm that is a joke :shock:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

nah fear, it works every time you indicate, and turn right by a set amount. I thought it was a standard feature of the exec :?:
Anybody elses do this?
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

But, but, who (other than Peugeot) would make a car that indicates left when you turn right in a sort of 'he must be on a roundabout, this will help' sort of way.

Sounds like a knackered stalk to me??????
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Does your executive have the keypad immobiliser ?
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

No keypad immobiliser here Niz im afraid.
I will have to find out about this indication thing. Does anybody elses do that, or is it just me and Supa's?
barlos1973

Post by barlos1973 »

ok thought i'll give u an update. cars working perfect! apart from the remote key.

p.s yep mine does the silly thing with the indicator since i got her a year ago. Evrytime i indicate right as soon as i straighten the steering the the damn left indicator comes on. so i'm constantly having to push the stalk back to the middle.

p.s bet i've had quite a few non pug drivers behind me thinking, 'what the heck is he upto' !!!
barlos1973

Post by barlos1973 »

ok thought i'll give u an update. cars working perfect! apart from the remote key.

p.s yep mine does the silly thing with the indicator since i got her a year ago. Evrytime i indicate right as soon as i straighten the steering the the damn left indicator comes on. so i'm constantly having to push the stalk back to the middle.

p.s bet i've had quite a few non pug drivers behind me thinking, 'what the heck is he upto' !!!