retro fit remote central locking

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

PugMan84

retro fit remote central locking

Post by PugMan84 »

hello,my 1999 t reg 406(pre facelift) remote central locking is playing up.ive tried new batteries,lots of different methods to re sync the key,buying a new key etc and it still wont work!ive given up trying to get the factory remote locking to work as its just a bad design and it will be easier to retro fit a new remote locking kit.

ive fitted these DIY remote locking kits of ebay before to cars that have no central locking,central locking of the key and to cars where the remote central locking has faild (like my 406).

does anybody know where the central locking unit is on the 406 and/or which wires actually do the locking and unlocking of the car from the central locking unit?

i assume the 406 is negative pulse?if anyone can also confirm this.

so basically,i just want to retro fit a new remote central locking kit to my 406 as the factory remote central locking is just a joke!

thanks very much,mark.
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: retro fit remote central locking

Post by lozz »

hi mate
have you checked for chaffed wires in the door looms
if they break or chaff it can fubar up the central locking ,

just a thought :roll:
PugMan84

Post by PugMan84 »

thanks for the reply.

yes ive checked everything and it still wont work.i actually think its the fob itself,as the micro chip circuit board in the 2 button fob looks like its been damaged at some point in the past.

any thoughts on the central locking unit location or what wires actually control the locking and unlocking of the car?

thanks again.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

If it's a D8 the control unit is behind the glovebox, I think what people normally do is get that and the key (for the transmitter) off of one in the breakers with similar kit.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
PugMan84

Post by PugMan84 »

sorry im new to Peugeot,but what is a D8? mine is a pre facelift 1999 model.

im trying to find a wiring diagram but cant seem to find anything.

thanks for all the help.
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

You have a D8 then. A D9 is the newer ones.

You should go to a scrappy and get new keys, barrells, ignition and the transponder behind the glovebox and set up a new system in your car. Better solution than an aftermarket job.
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

were are you based pugman ? i fitted an alarm system a few months back to my 406.

this alarm system can add remote locking when you arm and disarm the alarm. and its really cheap ..

if your local to me i could help fit it, took me hours and hours to figure out were all the wires went, :lol:
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
PugMan84

Post by PugMan84 »

hi,im based in rotherham. :)

these after market remote central locking kits are a doddle to fit and really cheap to buy.and yes the alarm with output for remote central locking are also rather easy to fit but take a little bit more time due to the alram/sensors etc.

my factory remote locking is deffo dead as i have honestly tried every possible solution to get it working again and im much more inclined to just fit a after market kit.

so i have a D8,thanks for clearing that up.

the central locking unit is behind the glovebox? what does it look like? and does anybody know what wires from this unit actually control the locking and unlocking of the car?

i helped my mate install a aftermarket remote locking kit to his 106 recently and the unit was also behind glovebox with a mulitplug connector that i spliced into for him using info found on the net and his works great,plus i wired the indicators up to flash for him and his 106 had factory remote locking that had died too and peugoet wanted over £150 for them to fix the factory remote locking.the kit he bought was £12 of ebay and works perfect.
bjranson
1.6 8v

Post by bjranson »

Ended up having to get one of these after-market kits fitted. Since I've had the car the main remote central locking has never worked, and recently both main locks had seized up and no end of WD40 would persuade them otherwise. Local car alarm fitter installed one all in for £120, now works like a charm - flashing lights and all. The fitter said lock seizure is a common problem with older Pugs. Nuff said.
------------------------------------------------
Silver 2002 D9 HDi 110 Estate