yet another fan problem.

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

trishacar
1.6 8v

yet another fan problem.

Post by trishacar »

hi guys...i have yet another problem with my bloody blowers that i was hoping one of u guys could help with again.
the story goes. after spending 135 quid on my 406 this weekend for breaks , service and a new tyre (sorry kids santa's now broke this year) i decided to take the car for a car wash. i drive a 1998 r reg 2.0 glx with digital climate control, and the blowers up untill that point had been stuck on and i had be unable to switch them off. after the boys were finished with the inside of the car i got in and noticed that everything was switched off and that the blowrs wernt working at all. after hearing about the ignitition barrel problems these cars have i moved the key around a bit and the unit fired into life. but the blowers still didnt work. i can change the temp, and the direction of the non exsistent air flow but still i have no working blowers. does any have any idea what is wrong with them now? after the money i forked out this weekend im raplidly starting to loos patience with this problem.
any help would be much appriciated.

thanks again.

ryan
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: yet another fan problem.

Post by FarmerPug »

the resistor control module ontop of the fan itself.
trishacar
1.6 8v

Post by trishacar »

a very kind chap said that to me when the fans were stuck on. but is it the same now there not on? and would that effect any other part of the system like that?
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

worth a check, theres been so much fan troubles on here recently it may be worth having a read through it, ive never fixed the fan just recalling what ive read on here.
sawkins2005

Post by sawkins2005 »

hi trishacar, i have done two cars with the same problem, intermittent or non or stuck fan blower.

you are correct in reading the ig barrel, but first id check out the fan itself, aka the resistor on it. make sure no signs of ot getting hot or brownyness where its started to burn its self out?...

check the instrument panel, sounds stupid but might be something simple....

if no fuse has blown, or relay???? then i would look at the barrel...

another sign of the ig barrel is that the radio ( if remembering correctly ) has same problems aka, not working or intermittent...

i found when i done both jobs, that there does not seem to be much wear at the accessorie switch, (this is where your problem is) but there must be enough for it no not make contact for it to work.

ok i am a mechanic, but if like minded i can assist you with a long post that i sent other members on this forum that have asked me how to do the job, or asked me for assistance.

hope this helps

sawkins2005