AIR BAG warning light

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

AIR BAG warning light

Post by FarmerPug »

The 406 has electric seats, and when they have been moved about i notice an airbag light comes on in the instrument cluster, along with 'airbag fault' on the MFD and a bleep. If a warning light like this occured in the old 205 i would be of the sort to just take out the bulb from the instrument cluster but i suppose that doesnt solve the problem or the writing coming up on the MFD, i am aware of some wire under the seat needing nipped out of its connector and just soldered into place, but with the electric seats there is too many wires to know, is there any advice on the loose wire causing this and a picture to show it especially from a car with electric seats because there is tonnes of wires under the elecric seats.
DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Re: AIR BAG warning light

Post by DiscoPol »

i find a bloody good wiggle of all the plugs and wires usually does it for me, i unplugged all mine the other day and reseated them all, and i havent had the airbag light since, there doesnt seem to be a science to it, just wiggle away.

I didnt do any damage when i unplugged everything, so just try unplugging one by one, try using the seat adjusters each time and that should narrow it down for you which is power for movement and which are sensor/activation cables for the airbags and seatbelt tensioners.

When you narrow it down a bit you can give it a "bloody good coat of looking at" and maybe you can spot it, none of them seem that sturdy to me, but im happy enough just to wiggle away each time, i have even removed the plastic cover from mine and chucked it in the boot so all i have to do is reach down under the seat front and bash away with my ham fists each time it comes on, but as i said nothing for a few days since i reseated everything, heres hoping i have fixed it enough for a few weeks anyway :lol:
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

but is there not just a wire i can solder, ive finally got the soldering iron going, and am ready to fix it permanently
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I've had this a few times on mine - it's always the passenger seat and usually after its been moved. Normally undoing & re-connecting the plugs sorts it for a month or two.

(I reckon it was closing-down sale time at Plugs-R-Us when they designed this lot, there's so many of them)!

Haven't sorted mine permanently yet - as you say, you can cut the plugs off & solder/heat-shrink sleeve them all, which will defo work. On my last Cistern, I cut them off, put bootlace ferrules on & reconnected with screw terminal blocks so you could disconnect again if you ever needed to. (Easier for blind old barstewards too). :oops:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

From memory it's the red 2-pin plug here with the green wire the orange fat wire with 'Pre Tens' on it I think can play up too but it was definately the red'un for me.

Instead of soldering I carefully bent the pins (with something plastic just in case) so that when re-plugged they would be 'tighter' if you like and that was the last time I ever saw the light after that, for over a year until I sold it.

Here's the weird one-off plug around the back of the seat too :?

Under an exec's seat is very busy with wires and cheapo nasty connectors.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

so its the red plug i have to nip off and solder then, do i have to take the battery out of the car to do this
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Do it carefully without taking the battery off - my r/c won't work since I disconnected mine :x
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

done it there last night, put the two front seats fully back and up then took out the battery, waited 20 minuites wile doing that i cleaned all the windows with windowline, then snipped out the red connector and reconnected the wires with terminal blocks, its a bit too tight for space to a soldering iron i did not want to burn anything. But that green wire that goes into the red connector kills the light when fixed. Thanks for the help
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

I get it on the coupe now and again. Not for a while now since I taped the connector and cables together.

It's worse for the coupe because the seat is back and forth lots every day getting the little 'un in and out.
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
jmkoz
1.6 8v

Post by jmkoz »

After recently buying a D9 406 SV (top spec V6 here in Oz) I tried to establish its service history and contacted the dealer that had done the most recent service. He kindly sent me a copy which included the details that the Air Bag warning light was lit. The remedy was listed as removing connectors and hard-wiring. Codes rechecked and fault rectified. Given that this was a dealer I would assume that this is the Peugeot recommended fix for this issue.

FWIW

John
Mayeux
1.6 8v

Post by Mayeux »

Hello found this tread as we have a air bag light on the dash , we took the car car to the garage and after the chap plugged in and then looked under the seats , said it was a mess and would be a “ big job” we replied we would scrap the car then ... had a look under the seats myself and found there is a plug off it looks white to me but the only spare open socket looks yellow , could this have a link to the air bag light ?
Thanks guy
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi.

The plugs under the seats are ( if I remember correctly.. )
Big brown - heated seats.
Yellow - power
White - empty...
Small brown/orange and small blue - side airbags and seat belt pre-tensioner _ it's normally these at fault..
Red - no idea... :cheesy:

Don't forget the airbag is essentially an explosive device, so before you go plugging and unplugging willy nilly, please make sure the ignition has been off for a good 5 mins....!!

Good luck, if you find it's the small connectors at fault then you can just swap them with a different connector - bullet connectors with some heat shrink should be ok.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Mayeux
1.6 8v

Post by Mayeux »

Thank you but do the colours relate to the male or the female side of the connector
Mayeux
1.6 8v

Post by Mayeux »

A8824DD0-EDBD-431A-8BB8-7F8E1ACFFEEE.jpeg
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

The seat connectors are female, and are held in place by sliding into a slot under the seat - that dangling white one should clip into place next to the yellow one.

The loom that comes from under the carpet are the male connectors...

If you can see the two smaller connectors, these will probably be the ones to check. You can just make out 2 orange wires going up behind the connectors that are in place, these should take you to the airbag connector.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.