Another Dashboard problem!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

siriuf
1.6 8v

Another Dashboard problem!

Post by siriuf »

A strange sound has started coming for the left side of my car's dash. This started 2 days ago with no sign of stopping. It sounds suspiciously like an electrical relay sound, which starts every time I turn the ignition on & last for 10-15 secs. The frequency of the noise increases if I start the car without waiting for it to stop, again it ceases a few seconds later. It's extremely annoying, obviously! I don't think it's mechanical. The noise is clearly coming from within the car, towards the passenger side of the dash.

I haven't seen anybody list a similar comlaint. Suggestions anybody? I really don't have the time to sort it out myself, but I guess I will have to take the car to the local nationwide if my patience snaps.. :frown:
Smile! You're on speed camera.
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Another Dashboard problem!

Post by mjb »

Sounds like it could well be one of the motors for the vents. I'd take the pollen filter out and see if the recirc flap is moving correctly. It's not an uncommon failure...
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
siriuf
1.6 8v

Post by siriuf »

mjb wrote:Sounds like it could well be one of the motors for the vents. I'd take the pollen filter out and see if the recirc flap is moving correctly. It's not an uncommon failure...
Brilliant! That's nailed it. I swithced on the fresh air switch for a while...no noise. I switched it back to recirculating for running the aircon, still no noise. Touchwood. Cheers for that!
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

You may need a new recirculation motor/gearbox. As mjb said it's not unknown for the gears to strip which causes a clicking noise. Trip to aldershot car spares!!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
siriuf
1.6 8v

Post by siriuf »

teamster1975 wrote:You may need a new recirculation motor/gearbox. As mjb said it's not unknown for the gears to strip which causes a clicking noise. Trip to aldershot car spares!!
Which would mean another half-day off work! Oh, well. I'll let it run as it is until the next time the sound comes back.....
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

siriuf wrote:
teamster1975 wrote:You may need a new recirculation motor/gearbox. As mjb said it's not unknown for the gears to strip which causes a clicking noise. Trip to aldershot car spares!!
Which would mean another half-day off work! Oh, well. I'll let it run as it is until the next time the sound comes back.....
They're open Saturdays until 5! (Unless you work Saturday :( )
You'd want it on fresh air this time of year anyway now the frost has "supposedly" finished :)
1997 Honda CB500V

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

siriuf wrote:I switched it back to recirculating for running the aircon
There's no need to run the recirc for the a/c.

The only time recirc is usefull is in extreme heat when the a/c is trying to cool the cabin but it's pulling in air at something like 30 deg C from outside - then it can help to run recirc but only if the cabin is already cooler than outside and then you should only run it for a short time as the air quality will suffer. Generally, once the cabin is comfortable you should swith to full fresh air. The Climate Control on D9's operates the recirc/fresh air automatically depending on temperature.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Welton wrote:The Climate Control on D9's operates the recirc/fresh air automatically depending on temperature.
Not just D9s... :P
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Well pardon me all over the place. :wink:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
siriuf
1.6 8v

Post by siriuf »

Welton wrote:
The only time recirc is usefull is in extreme heat when the a/c is trying to cool the cabin but it's pulling in air at something like 30 deg C from outside - then it can help to run recirc but only if the cabin is already cooler than outside and then you should only run it for a short time as the air quality will suffer. Generally, once the cabin is comfortable you should swith to full fresh air. The Climate Control on D9's operates the recirc/fresh air automatically depending on temperature.
Interesting comment. To be fair, that's my habit from driving in the Middle East & India where it is hot as hell most of the time! If you need to stay cool, the a/c should stay in recirc. Not very healthy, I know. So yes, your advice does make sense in cooler Blighty.

FYI, my D9 hasn't got the digital climate control, it's the basic manual aircon. I don't know if that makes any difference.....
gRoberts
2.0 Turbo

Post by gRoberts »

I've got a similar issue. Mine ticks 5 times and then goes off for about 15 seconds. I haven't had the chance to actually look at it yet.
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

siriuf wrote:FYI, my D9 hasn't got the digital climate control, it's the basic manual aircon. I don't know if that makes any difference.....
Ah. Is the control for recirculation a push button or a slider?
1997 Honda CB500V

siriuf
1.6 8v

Post by siriuf »

teamster1975 wrote:Ah. Is the control for recirculation a push button or a slider?
It's push button, so I guess the vent would be operated by a motor then. But since it hasn't played up for a few days, I'll leave it till it does. Cheers!
eatmorebeans

Post by eatmorebeans »

Hi All, just joined as I am about to buy a 406hdi estate. This car also has a weird noise coming from a sphere like object above/behind the glove box on startup. Did this problem come back on your car?

Tony
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

If you set the fan to a different setting (or off) does the noise change/stop? If so the car needs a new blower motor. It's a common fault, or has been over the last 6 months for some reason!