Immobiliser key pad + interior fuse box on 1997 estate

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

irrselvam
1.6 8v

Immobiliser key pad + interior fuse box on 1997 estate

Post by irrselvam »

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 1997 estate that came with two keys - one fob (door and boot unlock buttons) and a "plain" key. The fob buttons work to unlock the central locking and both keys do the same. But if I want to start the car I need to press and hold the door unlock button whilst turning the fob key in the ignition. This means the plain key isn't very useful, however I've found a flip out keypad under the steering wheel (see picture). My hunch is that I could use the plain key to unlock the central locking, punch in a code (which I don't know) to disable the immobiliser then start the car with the plain key. Does that sound logical? If so, is the code from the manufacturer (i.e. I could possibly contact a Pug dealer to get it) or set by the user (then I 'd need to find out if it can be reprogrammed).

On a slightly related note, both the front heated seats don't work but the lights come on. The first thing to try is replacing the fuse (15A position 28 I think) but that's conveniently behind the key pad panel and I imagine there's a lot of delicate wires back there - does anyone know how to get the panel off to access the fuse box?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_6903 (1).JPG
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Immobiliser key pad + interior fuse box on 1997 estate

Post by steve_earwig »

Hiya,

Hmm, that doesn't sound normal. Admittedly I have no experience of the keypad, a search ("keypad" not "key pad") just says get it running & unplug it, no mention of pressing buttons on the fob so I wonder if someone's done something "interesting" :?

The release is that black screw above button 2 but yeah, that's 27 year old wiring, I've no idea how brittle the wires will be now :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
irrselvam
1.6 8v

Post by irrselvam »

Hi,

Previous owner said it was like that when he got it, it could be something peculiar to Swedish (or Euro?) 406s from that time? I guess I'll have to start calling dealers!

Thanks
irrselvam
1.6 8v

Post by irrselvam »

For anyone that's interested - the plain key + default code (1111) worked to start the car. Apparently, the code can be changed with the following steps: ignition on, enter old code, press C, new code, press C to confirm.
Daz0130

Post by Daz0130 »

I got fed up with the keypad having to put my code in before it would start so I deleted it unplug the keypad when the engine is running, so now I just unlock the door key in start up the downside is my car is protected by the engine immobiliser
irrselvam
1.6 8v

Post by irrselvam »

I might end up doing that, is it just a simple plug? I've heard of people reprogramming the ECU(?) to bypass the immobiliser but I'm not sure if that's something that involves sending the ECU off to someone.

Turns out 1111 wasn't the code at all but I could start the car because I used the fob key before the plain key...
Daz0130

Post by Daz0130 »

My keyfob packed in a couple of years ago got fed up of putting the code in I think I saw a post on here or it might have been youtube about disconnecting the keypad pad, but the engine has to be running to do it it's as simple as just unplugging the connector on the back of the keypad, I was bit wery about doing it in case it never started again but all was fine I only did because I heard the keypad can pack up and immobilise the car
irrselvam
1.6 8v

Post by irrselvam »

Cheers will give it a try, worst case I plug it back in.