How to disconnect/connect AC pipes?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Killerko
1.8 16v

How to disconnect/connect AC pipes?

Post by Killerko »

Anybody done any disconnecting/reconnecting any AC pipes?

I just bought a 406 estate executive that have a leak in condenser and when disconnecting the pipes, the high pressure one had the connector seized and it snapped with half of it with the o-ring stayed in the condenser which forces me to replace the pipe as well (#3 on the picture) which brings the question how to disconnect/reconnect the pipe on the other side?

Killerko
1.8 16v

Re: How to disconnect/connect AC pipes?

Post by Killerko »

I think I found what I was looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oii4eKizdb8

I would have never figured that one out lol.. and it looks so simple, you litteraly don't need anything extra.
I had no idea that dangling piece of plastic rings on the pipes I've seen so many times are actually the tools to disconnect the pipes... :shock:

Good that I have NOT attempted to remove the pipe before figuring it out first.. as that would not ended well :lol:
frog
2.0 Turbo

Post by frog »

Thanks, that is really useful to know! I always thought that those pipes were somehow welded or glued together. Knowing this makes life a lot simpler :D
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

Knowing how to disconnect it is still only half of the job.. especially if the pipe is seized solid after 20 years :roll:

This took some serious patience..
First, the spring did not bulge at all. Had to use some picking tools to start cleaning it inside + plenty of WD40 slowly scraping some white/chalky material off there.
Also the provided rings were completely useless. Had to 3d print my own tool.
Once the spring ring finally started to move a little bit and I was able to put something in between I eventually managed to push my tool in and it clicked like in the video, but the pipe would not move at all even with the tool in place and spring expanded.
When I tried and applied force to twist it.. it started to twist the other pipe. This was pretty scary as I almost broke it.. :cry:
Eventually after some time trying to twist it (very gently) and lots of WD40, it started to move a little bit.. back and forth.. eventually I was able to rotate the pipe 360 but still did not move out at all.. this really took more time than I expected as I did not want to break the other pipe but in the end I made it without damaging it! Some pics bellow:

That green stuff is completely shreded o-ring :lol:

Second o-ring snapped as well and 3rd one survived but it was damaged as well.

After I cleaned everything, even scraped all the hard/sealing stuff.

Testing new (generic) o-rings.. the green is the original one. In case I won't be able to get a hold of original ones.

Tools I printed.. first on the left is the original I found online.. the other 2 are my modified versions. The second one cracked the ring but broke in the process.. the black one finished the job ;)
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

New AC pipes (ordered 2 so got 1 spare now) finally arrived.. with new washers I was able to put everything with new condenser back together and all is good, it held vacuum well, put new oil in, regassed and working as expected 8)

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Brilliant. 8)

Wish I'd known about those pipe connections when I had my last 406.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)