How to retrieve PIN?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Killerko
1.8 16v

How to retrieve PIN?

Post by Killerko »

Have anybody successfully retrieved the PIN for the car?
The one I bought have central locking working but remote is not.
I have tried to sync the key without success.
Attempted to 'program' it via pp2000 but got stuck on PIN.

I did a bit of research and there seems to be or at least used to be a way to calculate this from VIN..
there also seems to be a way if you can read your BSI and get a dump from it people on digital-kaos.co.uk can retrieve your pin from it.
Another way I found was a device like this: OBDSTAR H108 https://shoppingcart.aliexpress.com/ord ... detail.0.0
But this cost about £100 and not even sure if it will works.. there are videos with mixed results for it. Have anybody tried something like this?

Have anybody actually managed and succeffully retrieved their PIN?
I would not even mind paying somebody a few quid if they could get me my PIN.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: How to retrieve PIN?

Post by Doggy »

I got mine years ago from someone on digital kaos, at that time some people did it for free. No idea how they were doing it, I only gave them the VIN code.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

So, after reading about the pin in another post in here that somebody just asked their Peugeot dealer and they gave him the pin for £20, I was like yes, that's perfect.. I can pay £20 happily to get my PIN.. so I called to one of the peugeot delears on Friday just before close and they told me they will not be able to do it over the phone as I will need to bring log book, ID, and a recent bill in person to them... so on Saturday, I got everything and went in person to my nearest dealer in Sale, Manchester and been told that the guy who is doing this is not here at the moment and they will give me a call on Monday... they did not even ask for any paperwork, but I showed them anyway and they took a copy of it as I had the feeling they might need it.

I've just received the call from them a few minutes ago and the guy just told me my 4 digit PIN over the phone... no charge.. :lol: just like that.
I've never dealt with Peugeot dealers ever, but I must say if this is their standard service they provide, I'm impressed 8)

Also, sometimes the most simple solution to a problem is often overlooked.. as I've looked to almost every hacking way possible to get the pin except the official one haha.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Well done. I guess they're not really interested and it would probably take some effort to charge you for it.
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

I have an interesting update.. I've managed to program and sync the key and it is now fully working as you would expect, but this was of course not without problems.
The programming procedure went smoothly on first try, entered PIN, followed the simple instructions until the syncing instructions where I got stuck as I was unable to sync the key. This turned out to be just me forgot to remove the sticker from the new battery so there was basicaly no current going to the key :lol: and this 2 button key does not have any led light to indicate button presses so it took me some time to realize this :roll: but even after I corrected this I had problems with syncing the key. I just kept trying until it just locked the car once.. and then it seems to be not working again...

Well, so after some time trying to figure out why it's only working once every 20 tries I have removed the transponder chip and when I put it on top of the key it suddenly started to work 100% of the time :shock: ...so the issue seems to be the corner under the board where the transponder live is somehow the blind spot in my case... how? I have no idea, but the solution for me was simply to move the transponder chip to another location.. as you can see on the picture bellow I have managed to relocate it to another corner and luckily, the plastic shell had enough space in there to accomodate this... button presses now works 100% of the time instead of only once in a while. I found that interesting as one would think that the spot for transponder chip would be chosen that it would not be in the blind spot :lol: or maybe it's just my luck and my key might be some kind of faulty?

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Because Peugeot? No idea, that's a new one on me but if it's working then it's probably best not to question it :supafrisk:

I see you have a real Valeo key, may I ask how much it was? :cheesy:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Puzzling. :?

The transponder isn't involved in the remote central locking, it's for the immobiliser and communicates via the receiver ring around the ignition lock.

Well done for persevering and sorting it out.
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

Doggy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:23 am The transponder isn't involved in the remote central locking, it's for the immobiliser and communicates via the receiver ring around the ignition lock.
That's even more puzzling then.. why it's the remote locking/unlocking not working when I put the chip back to it's designated spot :?: I thought the chip is required for remote to work. Maybe the chip is causing some interference to the remote signal.. hmm
steve_earwig wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:11 am I see you have a real Valeo key, may I ask how much it was? :cheesy:
It came with the car that I bought, but remote was not working before.
I have ordered a cheap flip key from ebay.. either to transfer this one there or thinking about making a second key as the car came with only 1 key.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah, I see. Umm, it's probably best to have more than 1 key :shock: But then you'll have to sod about with the transponder chip :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Unless you just stick the chip near the receiver.....
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

Thanks for this post. I too have been trying to re-programme my remote central locking fob but have not been able to do it as I've not (yet!) been able to get into PP2000. I've had the car a few years and it's never worked so have always manually unlocked the car, which now doesn't work due to a part jammed inside the barrell.

I had been trying the key in the steering column barrel and was presented with an 'Engine Immobiliser Fault' message when turning the key. My key fob (which is an after-market replacement) does not have this transponder. I reckon somebody in the past has tried to repair the key with the replacement eBay ones and didn't send the transponder over!

I think I'll abandon trying to get it to work, and go back to replacing the broken part in the driver's ignition barrel lock.
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

Hey cwhaley, if you know your PIN to your car you can program it yourself, but you will need a lexia 3 cable that usually comes with pp2000 when you buy it on ebay.. or if you are in or around Manchester area I could do the programming part for you. If your key is missing the transponder chip, you can also buy one on ebay for a few quid.
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

I've got my second key now, cut the blade, got another transponder chip and remote electronics/board.
I was able to successfully program both keys, but remote is working only one of them (my original one).

The second board I bought from ebay will not sync after the programing is done...
I even ordered another one from different seller, as though the first one might be faulty, but that one will not sync either.
Both keys will unlock and start the car tho.. and yes I put the battery in the baord :lol: