Live data unavailable: connection issue?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

supamonkey4x
1.6 8v

Live data unavailable: connection issue?

Post by supamonkey4x »

My 1.8 EW7J4 is not giving any live data (a.k.a. parameters) on PP2000 or another generic tool I use. Both work fine on another car with identical specs. I'd need to see live sensor data because the exhaust is smelling excessively of unburnt petrol and smoking a lot even though the exhaust get thoroughly heated almost every day.

When I do a general check, PP2000 confirms that it's able to communicate with all ECUs including the engine ECU. I'm also able to read and clear error codes from the engine ECU (it had a random P0340 logged which was due to oil seeping on the camshaft position connector).

I will now get down to testing the wires leading to the 16-pin diagnostic connector with the multimeter, but I can't make sense of the combination of being able to read and clear codes but not being able to see live sensor data. Maybe someone here could?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Live data unavailable: connection issue?

Post by GingerMagic »

It's not unusual for PP2K to get dry solder joints inside the connector, but seeing as it works on other cars would eliminate this as your issue...

I don't mean to sound patronising, but are you choosing the correct car details ( 406 or 406R )

What year is your car?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I've just seen it's a 2003 - I should have replied to your other thread first.... :roll: :cheesy:

406R is what you need to select, and you should have the menu in the engine ECU for Parameters 1 and Parameters 2.

If you still have no joy, try the Test by ECU part of PP2K to get to the engine ECU.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
supamonkey4x
1.6 8v

Post by supamonkey4x »

Thanks for the reply. I do select 406 restyle and insert the right DAM. Now that you mention soldering joints, I'll do some visual inspection of the connector and wiring between bsi, ecu and diagnostic port and report back what I found. Car was brought over from a country where summers are very hot, which might have an impact on wear and tear of soldering joints etc.

What I'm mainly concerned about is the engine computer's health. Maybe the rich running and the inability to read live data are all due to the computer being faulty. We'll see, I have no idea though how to diagnose an engine module other than PP2000.

Happy NY!
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Sometimes you find a car that will not communicate consistently, but you may be able to get round it by a different approach. From your earlier posts, I understand that when you do a global test all the ecu's respond but I guess when you select the individual (engine) ecu, you are unable to read the parameters?

Try repeating the global test, then selecting the engine ecu from ecu list displayed at the end of the process, it can make a difference. Another possibility is to search by function, rather than by ecu - it may be possible to get to the parameter pages in this way. If you can't get in via power unit or engine control/fuel injection etc. it may still be possible via electrical parameters or emission control. (The actual terms you find on your system may be different but the meanings should be similar).

I've had a few cases where you can't access things the usual way, but something else will work. It's worth a try.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
supamonkey4x
1.6 8v

Post by supamonkey4x »

SOLVED: using PP2000 and reading the engine ECU individually, without doing global scan first, gave me live data.

It doesn't have fuel trims though?!
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

You should be able to find correction factors for each injector.
It's a long time since I looked at one, so can't remember the exact terms.
...back in the day, we used to discuss these values as a pointer to worn injectors
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
supamonkey4x
1.6 8v

Post by supamonkey4x »

I still haven't found fuel trims in any of the modules :?: