Bit of help needed - Aircon pipe from compressor punctured

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

scudriderdude
1.8 8v

Bit of help needed - Aircon pipe from compressor punctured

Post by scudriderdude »

Hi, I need a bit of help, I made a mistake in using the screwdriver through the filter method when trying to remove the oil filter, and went through the filter to the rear aircon pipe coming out of what I think is the compressor. Anyone know where I can get a new one, and how hard they are to fit?
Attachments
aircon.JPG
scudriderdude
1.8 8v

Re: Bit of help needed - Aircon pipe from compressor punctur

Post by scudriderdude »

Any ideas at all - I don't even know what part name to look for!
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

The picture is a bit unclear to me, but...: Those AC-pipes are very, very expensive to get new. Your best bet is a donor car.

On servicebox you can find them under Electric unit -> heating and air condition -> freon pipes (or something similar). There you will also have a nice diagram of how it looks, where it's connected and how it's fixed in place.

They're usually not that hard to get out of the compressor, but the spring fittings can be *very* tricky. Don't try without the proper tool (see images), and even then they can put up a bit of a fight.

When you have the pipe out it can be a good idea to replace the various exposed o-rings with new ones. ONLY NITRILE / AC-APPROVED O-RINGS. You could also consider replacing the dryer-filter-unit, since it's supposed to be replaced whenever the system has been exposed to ambient conditions. But chances are it will still work if you don't.

Spring lock fitting:

Tool:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I couldn't work out what I was looking at there :oops:

I didn't realise you needed a special tool for working on the a/c pipes either, yet here it is in the repair manual:

C5HG4CF1 Uncoupling - Coupling : Click-fit unions
URGENT : Drain the air conditioning circuit :(
N.B. : Refrigerant (R134a).
1. Recommended tools
Figure : c5hkff8d Display the image full screen
[1] ring for uncoupling click-fit connections .
Diameter ( inch) Colour identification (/)
3/8 Red
1/2 Blue
5/8 Black
2. Removing
Figure : c5hkff9d Display the image full screen
Fit the tool [1] to the hose (1).
Figure : c5hkffad Display the image full screen
Press the tool [1] in the direction indicated by the arrow (a) until it stops (Permits the moving aside of the interior locking spring ) .
Support the tool at the limit.
Pull on parts (b) and (c) of the union, in the direction indicated by the arrows (d - e).
Remove the tool [1].
Disconnect the pipes .
URGENT : Immediately blank the connectors by means of plugs , to prevent the entry of impurities.
3. Refitting
Figure : c5hkffbd Display the image full screen
Systematically replace seals (2).
Lubricate the seals with compressor oil.
Figure : c5hkffcd Display the image full screen
Click on the pipes without the tools , pressing on the 2 parts (b - c) of the union until they click on.

Btw I learned about 30 years ago that hammering a screwdriver through an oil filter never ends well :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
scudriderdude
1.8 8v

Post by scudriderdude »

Thanks everyone :)

Anyone got a donor car lol :)
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

steve_earwig wrote:URGENT : Drain the air conditioning circuit :(
Thank you for the official description, Steve, there are some good bits in there. Obviously, if there's a hole mother nature has already dealt with the draining-part...! (verify by gently poking the Schräder-valve on the filter-dryer, if it doesn't come with a pffft of refrigerant it's at ambient pressure).

The oil you will need for the compressor and the seals is called PAG46, and it's very hygroscopic (i.e. it absorbs moisture with time, which essentially spoils it). If it's just for lubricating the seals a different viscosity, like PAG100 should also work without issue. You can get the PAG-oil with UV-dye to make it easier to find any future leaks. You can also ask whoever recharges your system to add some.

Don't try to recharge the system yourself; you'll need to pump vacuum on it for ages to get out moisture that is adsorbed (clinging to the surface) and absorbed (in the dryer-filter), and then leak-check it.
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

scudriderdude wrote:Thanks everyone :)

Anyone got a donor car lol :)
Actually, I do, but I already got the AC pipes off of it for a friend. But luckily there are tons of them on ebay if you search for "406 breaking".