Another stalk question!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

blzeebub
1.6 8v

Another stalk question!

Post by blzeebub »

Mornin All,

Its coming to the time to replace the stalks as the indicator is floppy and the lights are sometimes a bit eager to turn themselves to full beam! I grabbed some pictures with them in situ to work out which of the many variants they are to scour ebay and online. I came across peugeotpartsforsale and contacted them to see if they could work out which set i needed as none of the numbers i could find had the peugeot part number on and they have identified which ones. All good so far..... they offered to fit them for a price but also noted that they would calibrate the unit to save me a costly trip to the stealers. Now, did i miss something or do the stalks need to be calibrated? I know the mfd was replaced on the car not long after the previous owner bought it and that did need a trip to the stealers to get it working but i havent read anything about stalks needing it?

Cheers,

Nat
B->
2003 2.2 HDi SE in Samarkand Blue replaced the good ol' 99 2.0 HDi 90 GTX. Now i know what the pedal on the right does!
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Another stalk question!

Post by steve_earwig »

Maybe if the car has ESP (No idea - mine doesn't)
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
blzeebub
1.6 8v

Post by blzeebub »

Well i took a punt at it last weekend and swapped the stalks over. The airbag was a right PITA to get off but the ebay replacement jobbies went on and work fine without any problems so i can say for sure that a 53 plate 2.2HDi SE doesnt need a trip to the stealers if you replace the stalks - well mine didnt.

That lead me on to a fun afternoon as the starter motor packed up when it all went back together. As a note to anyone else, Eurocarparts listed three options for mine and the Lucas one they had was wrong. They did eventually find the right one using the part numbers off the old one though.

Now i can indicate in all temperatures and the lights dont have a mond of their own.

B->
2003 2.2 HDi SE in Samarkand Blue replaced the good ol' 99 2.0 HDi 90 GTX. Now i know what the pedal on the right does!
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Result :D

BTW: there's an article on PeugeotForums about fixing COM200 units. Maybe worth a try now you have a spare :wink:

I notice you traded up from a 2.0 90 to a 2.2. I keep thinking about this myself, so:
(1) just how much of a difference is there?
(2) just how much more expensive is it to tax, insure, and put diesel in?
(3) how much does the absence of a 6th gear bother you?
(4) is a de-fap and remap on the cards?
(5) what prompted you to swap?

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
blzeebub
1.6 8v

Post by blzeebub »

rwb wrote:Result :D

BTW: there's an article on PeugeotForums about fixing COM200 units. Maybe worth a try now you have a spare :wink:

I notice you traded up from a 2.0 90 to a 2.2. I keep thinking about this myself, so:
(1) just how much of a difference is there?
(2) just how much more expensive is it to tax, insure, and put diesel in?
(3) how much does the absence of a 6th gear bother you?
(4) is a de-fap and remap on the cards?
(5) what prompted you to swap?
I was thinking about refurbing the old one but considered sending it to the bloke near Bradford that does it for about £30. I was looking at a set of wheels on fleabay as spares up that way but he cant wait til next week for collection so that out of the question.

Answers to the above:

1/ My old 2.0 was a 90 so the jump to the 2.2 was quite noticeable. Overtaking was a very tricky thing in the old 2.0 so id just potter about.
2/ Tax was actually lower as the 53 plate comes under letter bands and not just classed as a 2.0 for the old T reg. Insurance for the old one was around £350-390 whereas the 2.2 looks to be more like £500-600. The mid way swap cost an extra £50. Ill shop around in October when its due. MPG on the old one stabilised at 47.1mpg for me. The 2.2 initially started at the mid to low 40's.
3/ Had 5 on the old and the new so no difference there. It still catches me out on my bike though!
4/ hmmmm
5/ Id had the old one for 5 years and a mate was looking for something new. After 8 months of nudging he finally gave in.

Cheers

Nat
B->