Whats for all this sockets and cables under the seats!?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

RayneR
3.0 24v

Whats for all this sockets and cables under the seats!?

Post by RayneR »

Well i'll just post the pics and describe them and do a personal opinion on them, then you can enlighten me if I'm wrong. Thank you in advance.

By the way my leon is the 406 Estate/van/whatever you call it ( i'm not english i'm from portugal ! :supafrisk: ) which is from 2000 MAY and has sunroof

This is my seat ( driver one ) , and here we go ... there is a lot of sockets there ..the most right one is for the belt pre tensor, this is obvious but what's the other ones ? even the one that is stuck with the cable loom with black tape ?? more pics to come ...

BTW: my seats doesn't have the side air-bags and the armrest, i suppose on of those sockets is to connect the air-bag, as an option the first buyer of this van didn't want the side air-bags to come along when he purchased it ..

This pic is to give more info for you guys that knows more about this beautiful machine.. and to think to myself ...Where the heck is that single green cable goes to and what's for? what's with the D80 in the label ? isn't it supose to be a D9 model at least in the ECU is..Bosch EDC15C2 :?

This is the passenger seat which as the same sockets as the driver one .. but it's a bit different in a aspect .. the single green cable as a socket ( so i suppose the driver seat as one too, so where it connects? I got the feeling that this cable is to display in the dashboard if the seat belt is locked on, but i car doesn't have this...well my car didn't had trip computer i still managed to add it lol) .. the pic is just next ->

Here it is ! Now i'll add another pics for you to see my Pug , in order to give more details about my car ..

All of this to know what can be done and what's not in my van because i'm getting in my head the idea of adding heated leather seats to it, i'll try to pass by at the garage , they have the Peugeot planet 2000 and the DIAG200/Lexia interface , it was there were i and the mechanic could enable my trip computer, i'll try to go there to see what's in the list in the service-box options because i didn't saw them very carefully.

Thank you for everything.
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Re: Whats for all this sockets and cables under the seats!?

Post by Gary406 »

the yellow one is pos and neg :mrgreen:
the brown one on my leathers is for heated seats :mrgreen:

not sure about the blue one :?
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there :cheesy:
Well, I've already found out the yellow connector is for the electric seat motors, the light brown is for the seat heating pad (yes, you already have all the wiring - add fuses and switches and it will all work). I know the other two are for the seatbelt pretensioner and airbag but I'm not sure which is which yet, if you say the one on the right is for the pretensioner then I will take your word for it. Peugeot do not use colour codes for their wiring, they use numbers but I cannot read them in your pictures. If the rest of the wiring is the same as the diagrams that I have for the later fully-multiplexed car then the airbag wires are labelled 6708 & 6507 and the pretensioner wires are labelled 650 & 650. The green wire is an earth (-) for the airbag. I am surprised to see wires going off into the seats for the airbag, if you have no airbag I would expect Peugeot to keep the wires too.

D80 is just a number for the cable, Peugeot themselves do not use D8 or D9 designations: if you mention these at Peugeot they might not know what you are saying. Owners use these because they are the designations on the parts diagrams and they sound better than 406 and 406 restyle.

I have not had a chance to play with Peugeot Planet yet so I don't know exactly what can be done with it, however there are many on here that have so I hope you will hear from them. All I know is you must be careful what you change in Peugeot Planet, you might get some undesired results so change things one at a time and be prepared to put it back how it was.

I hope that is understandable & covers everything, the seat controls are nothing to do with the BSI so you will not need to use Peugeot Planet to turn them on. Just remember to get the heated seat switches with your seats, the wiring all appears to be there already so it will be an easy job. If you buy seats with the memory function be prepared to do some wiring on them, I read the memory computer will not work so there is no point in having it, although you may want the connectors to make the job easier - I am doing this same thing myself but at the moment my car is here in Croatia but the seats are in England :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

steve_earwig wrote:Hi there :cheesy:
Well, I've already found out the yellow connector is for the electric seat motors, the light brown is for the seat heating pad (yes, you already have all the wiring - add fuses and switches and it will all work). I know the other two are for the seatbelt pretensioner and airbag but I'm not sure which is which yet, if you say the one on the right is for the pretensioner then I will take your word for it. Peugeot do not use colour codes for their wiring, they use numbers but I cannot read them in your pictures. If the rest of the wiring is the same as the diagrams that I have for the later fully-multiplexed car then the airbag wires are labelled 6708 & 6507 and the pretensioner wires are labelled 650 & 650. The green wire is an earth (-) for the airbag. I am surprised to see wires going off into the seats for the airbag, if you have no airbag I would expect Peugeot to keep the wires too.

D80 is just a number for the cable, Peugeot themselves do not use D8 or D9 designations: if you mention these at Peugeot they might not know what you are saying. Owners use these because they are the designations on the parts diagrams and they sound better than 406 and 406 restyle.

I have not had a chance to play with Peugeot Planet yet so I don't know exactly what can be done with it, however there are many on here that have so I hope you will hear from them. All I know is you must be careful what you change in Peugeot Planet, you might get some undesired results so change things one at a time and be prepared to put it back how it was.

I hope that is understandable & covers everything, the seat controls are nothing to do with the BSI so you will not need to use Peugeot Planet to turn them on. Just remember to get the heated seat switches with your seats, the wiring all appears to be there already so it will be an easy job. If you buy seats with the memory function be prepared to do some wiring on them, I read the memory computer will not work so there is no point in having it, although you may want the connectors to make the job easier - I am doing this same thing myself but at the moment my car is here in Croatia but the seats are in England :roll:
Thank you for your really good awnser but i'm a bit confused anyway, did you read the part that i speak that the single cable is the one ( probably? even if i don't have that on my dashboard) informing the BSI that the seatbelt is not locked on and then lightning the icon on the dashboard ? And whats the green socket on the driver side ? And what's the red socket on the passenger side ? You mention that i need to buy the seats with all the switch's and stuff .. but then again .. o saw some car's with switch's on the centre console next to the " ON/OFF passanger airbag " ...doesn't this switch's have to do with the motorized seats ?

edit: i have a friend with the same van but his had trip computer ashwood trim on door cards and side airbags and armrest on the seats from factory, his dashboard has the seatbelt warning and in the motor temperature he as a slight blue on the minimum level ( well maybe this new dashboard was intrudoced in that time his van is from the same year but his is just 3 months older ..) his MFD have slight interface change like the volume and menus ( maybe the BSI was updated in that time ? )

Thank you again for everything
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Mine has a red connector that is placed apart from the others, it is an earth for the airbag. It knows nothing about the seatbelts, this is perhaps a requirement for selling the car in Portugal. There is no green connectors, I presume yours will have extra wiring on the passenger side to tell the BSI there is someone sitting there and wiring to both seatbelt catches to tell the BSI when they are in use.

Presumably you will need to find these things on your new seats...

The two switches in the centre console next to the airbag switch are for the seat heaters.

The MFDs seem to vary a lot, independent of age. Yours should show the display for the radio (has this been changed?) but not necessarily the trip computers - as yours has no wood it maybe a lower specification than your friend's,

RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

steve_earwig wrote:Mine has a red connector that is placed apart from the others, it is an earth for the airbag. It knows nothing about the seatbelts, this is perhaps a requirement for selling the car in Portugal. There is no green connectors, I presume yours will have extra wiring on the passenger side to tell the BSI there is someone sitting there and wiring to both seatbelt catches to tell the BSI when they are in use.

Presumably you will need to find these things on your new seats...

The two switches in the centre console next to the airbag switch are for the seat heaters.

The MFDs seem to vary a lot, independent of age. Yours should show the display for the radio (has this been changed?) but not necessarily the trip computers - as yours has no wood it maybe a lower specification than your friend's,
My car have wood along the dashboard ( glove box, and on the other side, up the OBD2 socket and optic adjustment), you can see in the pictures on my first post that the MFD shows the radio and all the good bits that is trip computer hehe )

About the heat switchs doens't this need to be plugged in into some kind of socket right ? well on mine there is only 2 bold squares and nothing on it ..i guess i have to try to remove them and see if there is the cables on that right ?

Another thing , what's the diference if the seats are memorized ones and the others that aren't ? What can i do to find out if the seats are memorized ones and not ?

Thank you :oops:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

RayneR wrote:My car have wood along the dashboard ( glove box, and on the other side, up the OBD2 socket and optic adjustment), you can see in the pictures on my first post that the MFD shows the radio and all the good bits that is trip computer hehe )
Sorry, I thought you were saying your friend's car had this but yours didn't :shock:
About the heat switchs doens't this need to be plugged in into some kind of socket right ? well on mine there is only 2 bold squares and nothing on it ..i guess i have to try to remove them and see if there is the cables on that right ?
Do you mean in the centre console? The switch plugs into this. If the wiring is there on the seats I'd think the wiring is also under the sockets. Hold on... This is from my D8:
Obviously you won't need to cut the wires if you have the real switches.
Another thing , what's the diference if the seats are memorized ones and the others that aren't ? What can i do to find out if the seats are memorized ones and not ?
The driver's seat has 3 large connectors on it like this:
and also a switch for the 2 memories on the side of the seat on the other side to where the seat belt goes.

RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

[/quote]Do you mean in the centre console? The switch plugs into this. If the wiring is there on the seats I'd think the wiring is also under the sockets. Hold on... This is from my D8:
Obviously you won't need to cut the wires if you have the real switches.
The driver's seat has 3 large connectors on it like this:
and also a switch for the 2 memories on the side of the seat on the other side to where the seat belt goes.[/quote]

Well, thank you for your straight answers, but this image is showing a seat with the memorie .. but what the heck is a " memorized seat " ? i can't really understand what's for ..or what it means ... the other seats that are eletrical won't " save " the position that we set ? Well those large 3 cables surely i don't have on my seats ...those is for the " memorized seats " ? what can i do if i bought those seats ?

Thank you.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

The memory actually controls the driver's seat and the door mirrors - it saves two positions so all you do to change from one to the other is press a button. That's what I've got waiting for me in England, my father has managed to wire it so the switches are connected directly to the motors and it all works without the memory ecu. I think he also needed to connect an earth wire to the back of the seat switches but I won't actually know what he has done until I have seen it. My car turned out to be like yours, with the wiring in place for electric seats without the memory. I actually have the ecu but I couldn't see any point in all the extra wiring, partly because the seats came from a right-hand drive car and mine's left-hand drive so it would have been on the wrong seat, but mostly because everyone said it wouldn't work anyway.

RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

steve_earwig wrote:The memory actually controls the driver's seat and the door mirrors - it saves two positions so all you do to change from one to the other is press a button. That's what I've got waiting for me in England, my father has managed to wire it so the switches are connected directly to the motors and it all works without the memory ecu. I think he also needed to connect an earth wire to the back of the seat switches but I won't actually know what he has done until I have seen it. My car turned out to be like yours, with the wiring in place for electric seats without the memory. I actually have the ecu but I couldn't see any point in all the extra wiring, partly because the seats came from a right-hand drive car and mine's left-hand drive so it would have been on the wrong seat, but mostly because everyone said it wouldn't work anyway.
Controls the door mirrors in what aspect? ( my mirrors aren't the heated ones :| :cry: ) , anyway if i bought a memorized-heated seats i can still place it in my car ? ( apart from the ecu working, all the other electric part will work ? meaning, the heat, eletrically move the seat, air-bag?(this one is another thing that is bugging me, my car is not fit with these, but i can still connect them and then program the BSI ? or is this just impossible because probably there is no impact sensors ? ) .

btw: D8 seats won't fit on D9's ? Does saloon seats fit into Estate ? My car is from 2000, the new D9's ( 2003 for instance ) will have the same connectors and sockets/cables ?

Will a automobile electrician be able to do the job of putting the things working fine ? :?

Thank you again and again :oops:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

It puts the mirrors to where they were pointing when the memory was set. Obviously these are mirrors which can be controlled by the memory ecu, normal mirrors will not do this.

Yes, you can put a memory seat in your car, you can either use the ecu (which won't work apparently) or connect the switches directly to the motors like this http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB3/v ... conversion

The D9 seats do not appear to have changed throughout production.

Everything *should* work, you're are pushing the limits of my knowledge here regarding D8 & D9 seats but I know it has been done, you may have to swap the pretensioners over for the connections. I'm not sure about the airbags, if you had them you would need to get seats with them or put up with the airbag light flashing, but as you don't have them it won't be a problem. I do not know if you can turn them on, I think you would need an airbag ecu from a car that has them but I feel you would be better off without them.

Ok, all the front seats (D8, D9, saloon and estate) are the same fitting, all the estate rear seats are the same (D8 & D9) but the saloon rear seats are not - the shape is changed between D8 & D9, they can be modified to fit but it appears not to be good entertainment. It would be impossible to fit saloon rear seats to an estate and visa-versa.

RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

So, that eletric thingy isn't for me.. the tutorial is not even very explicit ( well my technical english is not very good :x :cry: ), i should look for normal eletric and heated seats without memory on Estate model independent of the year ...because as far as i understood the saloon only have the from seats the same , rear ones won't fit , and not to mention the door cards .. i'll take them too.. obviously if i didn't the look in the interior would be somehow awkward ...

Another task will be finding these seats here in the scrapyards , these cars are hard to find ...
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Oddly enough the door cards will fit, although you'll need to change the switches and brackets going between D8 & D9.

Do you do French? http://www.passion406.com/t2064p20-inst ... +m%E9moire

RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

Too bad for me i really don't know french , my passion is english really :).

I got another 2 pics of my car, the centre console:

This 2 cables were attached to one of the coins holder , is this the 2 cables for the heat buttons ? 1 for driver and 1 for passanger ?

There is an ECU at the bottom :shock: , whats for ? i read in it something about airbags and pretensioners ... isn't this the suposed ecu for the side airbags ? guess it controls the 2 things no? :evil:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Yes, the connectors in the first picture are for the seat heater switches - one for each seat, the second is the airbag ecu.

I have forgotten nearly all the French I learnt at school - it does not help me where I live now so I have no occasion to use it. I have to put it through Babelfish but it does not help with the slang they use. There are pictures though...