can i join the volvo crew?

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!
duke
1.8 8v

can i join the volvo crew?

Post by duke »

hi all well after over 10 years faithful service my old pug 406 est has died a very final death a burst bottom rad pipe caused her too get rather bloody hot rather bloody quick halfway back from southend on the m25 and drove rest of the way some 35-40 miles with zero cooling and some horrid noises in the last miles!but made it to my home and siezed solid just as we stopped!
also the brake pedal was rock hard but no brakes!
so she gone for scrap,sad.
now bought used volvo 850s 1994
volvo.jpg
(263.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
she needs work obviously but boy it shifts still! i may need some advice along the way need to sort headlights and a set of rear lamps there nearly white!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: can i join the volvo crew?

Post by Welly »

You certainly can! this is where all the best ex-Peugeot owners go :P

Sign up to Volvo Forums.org and enjoy the friendly* help there!.....actually your model range is much more likely to have a friendly helpful following.

I still look out for late 1990's V70's similar style to yours, always liked them.

The 1990's era cars were 'proper' Volvo's that lasted and lasted so you bought well there! Mine is a hybrid of Volvo/Ford and guess which bits of it have failed first :roll:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Truth be told, I've been hankering for a good condition Olive Green 850 T5R (preferably the TSW version ) for many years, however it seems they have increased in price by wallet-rape% so I've probably missed the boat....

Always had a soft spot for old Volvo's, after seeing a family friend with a mint 244 he had from new - there is something about an old Volvo that I admire..
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Welly

Post by Welly »

GingerMagic wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:28 am Truth be told, I've been hankering for a good condition Olive Green 850 T5R (preferably the TSW version ) for many years, however it seems they have increased in price by wallet-rape% so I've probably missed the boat....

Always had a soft spot for old Volvo's, after seeing a family friend with a mint 244 he had from new - there is something about an old Volvo that I admire..
There, see, I knew you'd come round eventually 8)

Now to work on Doggy...........
Cars in my care:
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Imagine my joy spotting this beauty on the bay of E....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124213566700

Only 15 miles from my humble home, low mileage - I was very tempted to go for a butchers, until I saw the interior pictures.

Perfect for disposing of bodies, not so easy on the eye though - unless you like red, lots of red.

:(
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Welly wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:37 am Now to work on Doggy...........
Luck with that.....
GingerMagic wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:51 am
Perfect for disposing of bodies, not so easy on the eye though - unless you like red, lots of red.
:lol:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly

Post by Welly »

GingerMagic wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:51 am not so easy on the eye though - unless you like red, lots of red.
Thinks: What's he on about? :?

*click*

*click*

*click*

Holy sh*t!! :shock:

From the days of interior/exterior colour matching. I'm sure there's a fetching Blue interior option and Brown even.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Will suit colour blind owner... :supafrisk:
It boasts a wealth of retro features such as wind up windows, manual choke, no power steering, four speed gearbox and retro 70s cloth and vinyl interior
So povvo spec is now "retro"? :roll: :lol:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Welly wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:24 am You certainly can! this is where all the best ex-Peugeot owners go :P

Sign up to Volvo Forums.org and enjoy the friendly* help there!.....actually your model range is much more likely to have a friendly helpful following.

I still look out for late 1990's V70's similar style to yours, always liked them.

The 1990's era cars were 'proper' Volvo's that lasted and lasted so you bought well there! Mine is a hybrid of Volvo/Ford and guess which bits of it have failed first :roll:

Like Doggy said 'luck with that' not this one either, but I did always like the 850 T5r but too juicy for me
My Darkside wagon has more poke & better economy :cheesy:, I get 34 mpg to & from work + 50 mpg on a good run
What's not to like 8)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

My Darkside wagon has more poke & better economy :cheesy:, I get 34 mpg to & from work + 50 mpg on a good run, yet to sort the indicators...
It's bland, but as my hairdresser says, what's not to like 8)
Fixored, you're welcome :lol:

8)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Maybe BMW just need to make the indicators bigger... :supafrisk:

And what just arrived in my email?
ebay wrote:Is "Classic 1975 Volvo 2…" still of interest?
Curse my search history :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi all thanks for the replies they made me giggle!well i think i did ok with the car i been all over it and all looks very good condition and very little rust on her underside and what little there was was swiftly dealt with using my power wirebrush and a good coat of decent underseal i done the numberplates which im amazed were only a note advisory on mot they was so cracked and bits blowing off in the wind it looks tidier allready!
i have to find a set of rear lamps before mot expires in a few months and the only other note was the rubber boots on the balljoints same as the old pug had every other mot so used to that one and been pleased to find parts not quite as expensive as they once where for volvo parts.
i shall post a few more pics when i have finished the spruce up,cheers :)
Welly

Post by Welly »

Can you not just wet sand the rear lights to take the oxidisation off?
Cars in my care:
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

Welly wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:28 am Can you not just wet sand the rear lights to take the oxidisation off?
hi no man they was sooooo screwed i binned them after a couple hours wasted trying to clean them up to a mot standard was not happening,so i been busy since,my volvo 850se journal
hi all i recently bought this very old volvo 850se estate non turbo and a manual gearbox she has 150k on the clock and no service history and when purchased had 6 months or so on mot has only ever done around 3000 miles between mots and appears to have had little more than an annual service and whatever was needed for mot.
so i have been slowly going through from the basics ie engine service and timing belt/serpentine belt and tensioner replacement,
complete new exhaust system and mountings.
complete set of rearlights courtesy of our local breakers sadly there the v70 ones with clear indicator lense but was cheap and good condition unlike most i found on ebay that come prechipped to save you the bother!
the front headlamps had the usual bloom on the plastic lense soon sorted with a mixture of baking soda and vinegar and look good enough now with some good old elbow grease.
i have also found she has the common leaky heater matrix and steams up like a sauna so today i stripped out the old one and ordered new along with the later ali pipes from a v70 i believe im told fit and dont rot.
after reading some of the threads here on what rot to expect (though after 40yrs restoring cars i have a good idea!) i have found as i suspected the start of systemic rust under the plastic sill covers and on one rear wheelarch which needs cutting out and welding along with the other normal old age related/rusty baggy bumper brackets etc all getting restored or replaced slowl but surely.
to add to the complexity the car has to carry my wifes electric wheelchair and the ramps have to go on top on roof crossbars so i have tailor made the fittings myself and the only purchase will be a set of rear bumper brackets which will then be sent for powder coating the way they should have at the start.
also in keeping with my deep hatred of rust and fastenings that decline then refuse to come undone when needed so every single fitting is replaced with stainless steel,all done once and proper.
heres a few pics of how it looked at the start and i shall add pics of progress and maybe pick some brains if/when i bugger it up!
also if anyone should happen to have a spare wheeltrim or 2 for the volvo she would be very pleased she says she dont like the cheapo ebay crap i bought her,ungrateful i call it!,peace
Attached Thumbnails
volvo lights.jpg
(161.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
s-l1600 volvo3.jpg
(193.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
s-l1600 volvo2.jpg
(217.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
this is her at the start and i shall update odd jobs along the way,so far i like the volvo to work on better than the pug!peace
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

How does the Volvo compare to the 406?

I'm only asking as I nearly bought an 850 T5R but it was out of budget, but I have my beady eye on a V70R instead...

:wink: