can i join the volvo crew?

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!
duke
1.8 8v

Re: can i join the volvo crew?

Post by duke »

GingerMagic wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:02 pm How does the Volvo compare to the 406?

I'm only asking as I nearly bought an 850 T5R but it was out of budget, but I have my beady eye on a V70R instead...

:wink:
hi ginger im quite impressed so far and only having done 300 or so miles so far and getting gassed,then steamed i decided to get the major stuff done before too much travel but it drives very smooth on motorway and has a more steady feel on corners than the 406 did also has much nicer power steering though that could just be it has a damper that does something unlike the pug one! very powerful engine still for its age and only real downside tbh is fuel consumption is a bit heavier but then engine is bigger as well as car weighs about half as much again as the 406 did i guess its normal,i would not want or advise anyone to buy a more modern volvo you need a proper built before colaberations with ford/renault etc and the proper old school volvo 850 are few and far between for a good one,theres only 9 850se still on dvla books,i was surprised!cheers :lol:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

duke wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:10 pm i would not want or advise anyone to buy a more modern volvo you need a proper built before colaberations with ford/renault etc
*makes mental note
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

Welly wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:57 am
duke wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:10 pm i would not want or advise anyone to buy a more modern volvo you need a proper built before colaberations with ford/renault etc
*makes mental note
well so far mechanic work on her has gone easy on my old hands and only my neck is hurting still!arthritis sucks when you cant even support the weight of your own head for a minute without great pain so doing the heater matrix was not a job i looked forward to starting but tbh once i got going slow and steady like i have the old unit out and identified part no for sure and new one should be here wednesday and i hope goes back as easy as it comes out!it was def knackered though but the metal pipes all look new still i think there later fitment as there ali not crappy steel.
still got the lovely job of changing the rotten boots on the balljoints to do and get the tracking redone after.
not sure yet if i need to replace the waterpump but shall do timing belt and serpentine tensioner as a matter of course.
then i am going to brave removing all the cover panels from inner wings and arches and spend a few hours with the high speed electric wire brush and then repaint/seal the panels good and proper after a rust treatment,see i dont mess about and being a mechanic with ocd i tend to go above and beyond to make things right and last a long time,even gave the new exhaust a double coat of high temperature paint,cant hurt.
my missus though likes the car and says it like driving miss daisy her chair fits in there lovely and having bigger doors she dont bang her head getting in and out like she did in the pug,that helps!
i be back with some pics if it ever stops bloody raining,peace :roll:
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

just found this mot history seems good and low miles needs some work judging by pics needs front wings looking at and a derust and paint of all coil springs,manual box as well,,,,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-850-GT ... SwsvtfGdjd
if i was still looking id be in there i reckon! :lol:
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I'm currently watching two Volvo's on eBay.

One is the Saffron V70R, which is a little over budget but chatting with the owner, he seems like a good lad.

Alternatively, I'm also watching this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143663150183
I don't know much about these though - it's no looker that's for sure, but the price is acceptable..
Thoughts....?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

A 2.5 pezzer, 4x4 that weighs two tons 'Gas Guzzler' & you think the coupe is bad

I looked at a V70 D5 but the economy was bad vs the performance,
Ask FarmerPug he had one & sold it in short order.
Then there's the crap forum/farcebook group (ask welton :wink: )

I know what most of you think of BMW's but my indicators work just fine 'in fact better than the crappy floppy pug one's'
It handles great for a big bus, much more of a drivers car than the equivalent Merc or Volvo.
+ the forum & farcebook groups are very busy, full of banter & helpful knowledge just like this place four or five years ago :wink:

But each to there own, I've just completed a 900+ mile round trip over two weeks round Cornwall & lands end
Not hanging around down there & a steady 85mph when I could on the motorway. I got a average of 41mpg over the trip
with a best of 45mpg, show me a 300bhp Volvo that can do that & go round corners.

+ I have a loathing of Volvos, I grew up on motorbikes in the late 70's early 80's :wink:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

GingerMagic wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:52 pm I'm currently watching two Volvo's on eBay.

One is the Saffron V70R, which is a little over budget but chatting with the owner, he seems like a good lad.

Alternatively, I'm also watching this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143663150183
I don't know much about these though - it's no looker that's for sure, but the price is acceptable..
Thoughts....?
big and heavy!nice if you have a big fuel budget in mind though,full time 4x4 is most expensive to run ime and better if you can run 2 wheel drive until 4x4 is needed,i used to love my old diahatsu 4 track mk1 2ltr petrol manual 4x4 softop i do miss her still.
anyhow im not best person to judge more modern cars im an old fart and used to 1940-1990 ish cars theres to much tech on most modern vehicles for me if i cant fix it myself i do not want or need it!cheers :lol:
duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:33 am A 2.5 pezzer, 4x4 that weighs two tons 'Gas Guzzler' & you think the coupe is bad

I looked at a V70 D5 but the economy was bad vs the performance,
Ask FarmerPug he had one & sold it in short order.
Then there's the crap forum/farcebook group (ask welton :wink: )

I know what most of you think of BMW's but my indicators work just fine 'in fact better than the crappy floppy pug one's'
It handles great for a big bus, much more of a drivers car than the equivalent Merc or Volvo.
+ the forum & farcebook groups are very busy, full of banter & helpful knowledge just like this place four or five years ago :wink:

But each to there own, I've just completed a 900+ mile round trip over two weeks round Cornwall & lands end
Not hanging around down there & a steady 85mph when I could on the motorway. I got a average of 41mpg over the trip
with a best of 45mpg, show me a 300bhp Volvo that can do that & go round corners.

+ I have a loathing of Volvos, I grew up on motorbikes in the late 70's early 80's :wink:
i used to hate all cars when i rode motorcycles,they was objects to avoid at all cost and it wasnt till a lunatic in a big 4x4 decided he needed a motorcycle implanted in the side of his truck i came out with multiple broken bones and since banned from bikes on pain of death by the missus,so volvo is now my only wheels unless you count 4 electric wheelchairs!of which i can fit 2 in the volvo no trouble and still have room for goods and sundry,suits me fine plus i can fix it which makes it cheaper than buying a more modern beemer or volvo i have to pay to maintain.
well today the new pulley for the serpentine belt came and i had new fitted and working,and much quieter in 40 minutes,10 of which was figuring out how to undo 3 plastic and spring steel fasteners without breaking them!
so next up is cambelt and then the only 2 jobs i have no choice to pay someone is the tracking and aircon service and regas,not told missus about that bit just yet,,,,peace
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

It's cool.
All input is appreciated, and u know DDD will always speak his mind :cheesy:
The only Beemer with 7 seats is the X5 which I'm not keen on, although they are available with the twin turbo...

I like older things ( cars, women and principles mostly ) so a car produced before 1999 is a thumbs up from me although I don't have garage space for a proper classic like a moggy or a TR of some sort, so I'll have to settle for something else.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

GingerMagic wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:23 pm It's cool.
All input is appreciated, and u know DDD will always speak his mind :cheesy:

:wink:

The only Beemer with 7 seats is the X5 which I'm not keen on, although they are available with the twin turbo...

I didn't know you were after a minibus :mrgreen:, I too don't like X5's or any big 4x4 for that matter
I personally don't need one, I don't live anywhere rural enough.

On a serious note the 2.5 five pot Volvo pezzer engine is a great unit BUT thirsty ask any focus ST owner
Stick it in a two ton land yacht with permanent 4x4 :supafrisk:

In the 80's if a car pulled out on you while on your bike it was invariably a myopic Volvo driver
(because there safe in their Swedish tank) :roll:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:

duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi all well im getting on well with the volvo mechanic work is so easy compared to the pug about 10x quicker doing the same jobs :lol:
today i stripped out the cambelt and as expected its been changed previously at 80k but under the covers is wet and very difficult to tell how much is water and how much is oil/water/dirt conglomerate,so im going the hole hog and doing the lot belt all guide rollers and the tensioner will be reused as its an easy part to test off the car and as you need to remove it to reset the hand grenade style release pin arrangement any great wear is obvious as it should take a good 2-5 minutes to fully compress in the clamp if it goes too quick its knackered!and at around 100 pounds cost its an expense too far.
ordered this and should sort the car for a few years,also ordered 2x camshaft front oil seals,belt and braces so as never to have to go there again! :mrgreen:
https://www.winparts.co.uk/engine-parts ... m_content=
i shall get pics now i got some life in me camera battery,peace
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

DDD - you're missing out by not liking Volvo's :mrgreen:

Just for you, here's what I fitted to mine at the weekend, active puddle lighting:

Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Image :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

:arrowu: Steve :lol:

Welters old boy, I do like some Volvos 850 T5R 8)
V 70 R
V 60 R
I just can't afford any of them :frown:

duke
1.8 8v

Post by duke »

hi all took a few pics during the work, :lol:
i have come to a bit of a problem trying to change the balljoint boot on o/s as in the damn pinchbolt is kindly rounded of already and seized beyond belief even after undoing the nut the bolt remains stuck despite copious soaking in penetrating oil.
and i even resorted to a diy tool to try drive the bolt through which only managed to bend the protruding threaded part of the bolt,it appears the head of the bolt has fused with the metal it goes through in a manner most difficult to deal with, as in i dare not use heat as car is liable to go woosh in flames.
and theres not enough room to use the grinder and chop the head of the bolt without damaging driveshaft and boot,is there any such thing as a split balljoint cover like the cv boots you glue on?i do not fancy having to remove the whole damn shebang driveshafts and suspension just for sake of 1 poxy bolt,i replaced other side with nice stainless nuts and bolts so as i never have same trouble again.
i intend this car to be a keeper and being a retired mechanic with ocd this could turn into an epic journal!
as requested i took a few pics!
also on the matter of the pcv system is there a list of needed parts for my old banger here,she is 1994 non turbo and engine code in pic any help would be great,stay safe all and thanks for any help and replies,peace
Attachments
car 012.JPG
(293.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
car 011.JPG
(181.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
car 010.JPG
(221.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
car 009.JPG
(279.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
car 008.JPG
(235.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
car 007.JPG