Burst Engine Mount - with smelly fluid leaking

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Burst Engine Mount - with smelly fluid leaking

Post by Welly »

In Volvo world this week:

I've been sensing vibrations through the car body this week and assumed it was the wheel balancing or lost a weight from one of the wheels. Anyway I got home last night and as soon as I got out the car there was the 'sweet' smell of what seemed like engine coolant....I popped the bonnet and saw black oil under the engine mount and it was dripping underneath the car at the cambelt end.

Looks like the engine mount's hydraulic fluid has leaked out and my god the stuff STINKS :shock: it nearly made me retch with it's sweet oily 'burnt' smell Image

Now on the lookout for a replacement.

The symptoms are vibrations through the car at around 60/70mph and a slight lurching when coming on/off the throttle (more engine movement).

You can see the blackish fluid leaking at the bolt positions:
And under the car:
And in the wheel arch:

At first I thought it was the Power Steering fluid or Engine Oil but looking at it carefully and looking on line I found other similar cases to confirm the problem.

The fluid leaks out like a black oil and then evaporates/dries leaving brown stains.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Burst Engine Mount - with smelly fluid leaking

Post by steve_earwig »

Damped engine mountings? That seems a bit industrial, do Ovlov/Frod really expect a petrol engine to thrash about that much or is it another example of adding more layers of technology where none was actually needed?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Just order a new mount (the rubbery fluidy part).

It was only* £91.00

Can't help thinking the recent Kangaroo jumps have fractured the poor mount :roll:
Cars in my care:
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Welly wrote:In Volvo world this week:

I've been sensing vibrations through the car body this week and assumed it was the wheel balancing or lost a weight from one of the wheels. Anyway I got home last night and as soon as I got out the car there was the 'sweet' smell of what seemed like engine coolant....I popped the bonnet and saw black oil under the engine mount and it was dripping underneath the car at the cambelt end.

Looks like the engine mount's hydraulic fluid has leaked out and my god the stuff STINKS :shock: it nearly made me retch with it's sweet oily 'burnt' smell Image

Now on the lookout for a replacement.

The symptoms are vibrations through the car at around 60/70mph and a slight lurching when coming on/off the throttle (more engine movement).

You can see the blackish fluid leaking at the bolt positions:
And under the car:
And in the wheel arch:

At first I thought it was the Power Steering fluid or Engine Oil but looking at it carefully and looking on line I found other similar cases to confirm the problem.

The fluid leaks out like a black oil and then evaporates/dries leaving brown stains.
Is it just me welly or is your rear tyre below the legal limit in that photo :cheesy:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Welly

Post by Welly »

No but it does look like it there!

I'm still on Winter tyres :oops: I only use it for work now (about 80 miles per week) so haven't been arsed to change to 'normal' tyres. There's plenty of tread depth but the shoulders have worn a bit on both sides of the tyre. There's only 3 months left before Winter/November so I might just leave them on :lol:
Cars in my care:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Welly wrote:There's only 3 months left before Winter/November so I might just leave them on :lol:
That's the spirit Welton!
(If memory serves we've been completely spared any semblance of winter since you fitted those boots)!
Saved me a fortune in heating bills - keep it up. 8)

Have you had the mount done yet?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly

Post by Welly »

Is it me or has this Summer* been a bit crap weather-wise? sorry for the 'W' reference I personally need to stop the world revolving for a few weeks so I can catch up.

The mount is on "special order" whilst I drive the thing like there's a fresh egg balanced on the bonnet :o
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I've not really been following the weather there, from what I hear it's either too bloody hot or it's been raining for months, no happy medium. Here, low 30's with the odd thunderstorm to make it unbearably humid most of the time.

Most of the wet stuff seems to be avoiding us for some reason: I was watching a thunderstorm last week, it cam East across the Adriatic, across Istria heading our way but it petered out at Karlovac so we got nothing, but kicked off again when it got past us towards Zagreb. Then on the radar images I watched a rainstorm coming from the Adriatic split in half, with one half heading South to Dalmatia while the other headed North to Slovenia, missing this part of Croatia entirely. Was it something I said?

Fill it with urethane foam?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

New mount is on and much improvements. I reckon the old one was getting lazy for a while; the rubber was in a right shonky state all cracked and that. The seal that retained the fluid had parted company with the main aluminium body and embarrassed itself. Didn't get a photo opportunity :(

The car is nice and smooth on/off the throttle and gear changes noticeably more direct (guess the engine's not flapping around now).

Labour £45.00
Cars in my care: