Out of my Volvo.

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!
6speedmanual
1.8 16v

Out of my Volvo.

Post by 6speedmanual »

Just sold my Volvo and gone back to a 405 110HDi.
This is how, from 2011 to now:
406 break 110 -56K in 18mo.
Xantia break 110HDI 28k in 10mo.
Xantia Activa 6k in 4mo.
BMW E39 530i LPG 40k in 18mo.
V70 2.4 170hp. LPG 9k in 3mo.
V70 T5 260hp 6speed 28k in 10mo.
406HDi 110 3k so far in 6weeks.
The Volvos were good. BMW incredibly disappointing massively overrated car. Xantias quirky fun and actually very good especially the Activa.
406s do a great job of being pretty good at everything whilst excelling in chassis ride and agility along with good fuel consumption.
All these cars cost between £425 - 1750, except the newest 406 which I paid a bit more for (too much probably?) as 1 owner 56,000 in amazing condition.
Ares
3.0 24v

Re: Out of my Volvo.

Post by Ares »

This is good comparasion.
So.BMW takes last place,what about others...who takes the 1st place..Xantia or 406?
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I ran XMs for 15 years and they were good, although not as good as the CX, comfortable roomy and solid feeling, I replaced my last one with a C5 and am disappointed, they have the space but not the ride and handling of the XM. I now also have a 406 and much prefer driving it, not quite such a good ride but much better handling and stability and still lots of room.

Peter.
6speedmanual
1.8 16v

Post by 6speedmanual »

Top Trumps 406 HDi / V70 T5
Fuel cons - P
Ride (absorbtion) - P
Ride (body control) - V (P occasionally caught out and bounces)
Agility - P
Parking - P has better turning circle.
Headlights - ....P (just)
Arrow straightness on m/way - V
Acceleration at high revs - V (obviously)
Grunt and mid range pick up - P (surprisingly)
Engine noise m/way - P
Engine sound - V
Gear ratios - V (P could pull a bigger top/6th. Gappy but masked by torque (grunt))
Gearshift - V feels more precise on the lever. Both shift fast and well.
Brakes - V anchors on well but high speed vibration (may be curable) P less solid pedal feel but stop well nevertheless.
Narrowness/compactness/threadability -P
Wind noise - V
"solidity" - V
Interior style - V
Seat comfort - I'm leaning towards P, despite all the V's adjustability.
Electric seat adjustment - V (P has not)
Driving position - 50/50 (Pug's steering wheel seems high but after a week stopped noticing)
Effort to drive - P
Exterior style - ???
Perceived Jo Public cachet -V
Running cost (parts) -P
Ease to work on - 50/50
Load space shape - V (less narrowing at wheel arches
Seat folding and luggage net arrangements etc -V
Loading - P (V's lower roofline not nice for humping stuff in/out.
Accuracy to demand of rain sensing wipers -P (by a long chalk)
NCAP - V 5, P 3.
Audio. V cd multichanger. Sound Q similar. Pug has a FM reception problem when signal weak.
OBC - P (2 trip functions zeroed separately)
Interior light console -V ( P's map reader is only LorR. V has two separate lights.
Any other areas to assess?
Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

The only Volvo's I have driven were the old 240 type, an estate and saloon and the only thing I liked about them were the seats, otherwise they were noisy, had engine vibration and felt generally rough, the XM won hands down, in a different class, but I haven't driven a modern Volvo so presumably they have improved. Did look briefly at a V70 but nothing like as much room as the XM estate.

I certainly agree with your general assessment of the 406. The radio is excellent in mine but its an aftermarket Pioneer, the sound quality is superb, maybe the reception is not as good but I think that's down to the aerial, the speakers in the GLX sound brilliant but only with the Pioneer radio, the standard one is rubbish.

I have found the 406 reasonably easy to work on and the spares are cheap, but again have not tried a Volvo. The visibility on the 406 is much better than the C5 but again no experience of the Volvo.

The things I like best about the 406 are fuel consumption, 60 mpg+ on a run, seat comfort (models with electric seats), lights, visibility and handling, feels much more sure footed than the C5.

Peter
6speedmanual
1.8 16v

Post by 6speedmanual »

406 HDi 110 v Xantia HDi 110
Acceleration: P. Mate and I discussed this a lot and left windering if hydraulucs are constantly using 3-4hp?
Economy: P. Alwsys about 3mpg better (see above)
Top speed: P managed 118, C 116, both on same GPS device.
Agility: P. Sharper turn-in. C not helped by 205tyres on 6" rims. 406 on 195 with upgrade to 6.5" rims normally used for cars witb 205s.
Brakes: Cit very well balanced and good effort on rear. P too front biased, overworking front discs and leaving rears to rot. P has thicker front discs but no real advantage due to poor brake balance.
Ride C mostly but bad bump through on potholed. General absrbency better.
Ride level for towing: C, obviously.
Driving positiin: P. Cit stg wheel a stretch and pedals too close even with seat right back. P drive with seat twnotches forward. Slso has reach adj stg column.
Build quality: similar but P doors feel better engineered.
Boot space: Cit. Very wide and flat.
Styling: Xant estate os true elegance at rear. Let down by very bland and dull nose.
406 facelift has very good front styling, nice pointy nose and bonnet and dramatic h/lamps witbough being overblown as happened on many cars as '00ies progressed. 406 rear and glasshouse very unimaginative. Looks better as saloon. 406 love-handle flanks .... oh dear. Obviously couldn't afford Pinninfarina again after 405 and 406 coupé.
Audio: P better speakers
Interior noise: P
Etc, etc
Overall P is a more rounded car across many functional aspects. Xant more interesting with moments if brilliance but also annoying flaws (driving position, crap headlights)
Any further comments?

Shall we talk Activa?
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

406 best car I have had since hydropnumatics, never had a Xantia, thought about it but decided if I'm, going to have all the hassle of a Citroen I might as well have the bigger one especially as the 2.1 engine in the manual is more fuel efficient than the 1.9 in the Xantia.

Never driven an Activa as my preference is for comfort over speed.

I think that the 406 does pretty well everything well - apart from the handbrake. :?

Peter
6speedmanual
1.8 16v

Post by 6speedmanual »

@ PeterN

Agreed. The 406 is a well honed package. Whilst lacking any prestige it can out trump many "quality" premium brands on many fronts.
Its suspension outperforms Xantia and by your comment previously, the C5 also, despite hydropneumatic being one of Cit's USPs.

Peter