What do you make of this? Dashcam / main stealer test drive

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: What do you make of this? Dashcam / main stealer test dr

Post by Welly »

Speed is my problem, like just now I took my Mum to the Airport.....on the way back on my own I got bored doing 75/80mph the motorway was really quiet so cranked it up a bit* same on dual carriageways I dunno I think I do everything quickly in my life and it must come out in the driving too. One thing I NEVER do is speed through built up areas or country lanes that IS foolish.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

See I have no problem driving slowly, sure I like a little burst of speed when it's safe and appropriate but that's very rare. Generally I dawdle around at or below the speed limit, enjoying the ride in my comfortable car, not just this car either, I used to do the same in the Pug, such a nice relaxing car to drive! Why would I rush to work? I'll just get there a couple of minutes earlier (making the working day longer) and be stressed before I even arrive, sod that, there's enough stress waiting for me when I get there!! If I'm on a long run I like to relax and enjoy the ride, listen to music etc, I give myself plenty of time but if I'm late, so what?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Some employers just aren't that flexible, 30 seconds late and you're in the late book, rack up a few of them and you're on a disciplinary. Still, I don't really understand why I used to rush to be there right on time, it's not like I'd have to stand outside in the cold for waiting for someone to unlock...
DaiRees wrote: If I'm on a long run I like to relax and enjoy the ride, listen to music...
...slip into unconsciousness...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote:
DaiRees wrote: If I'm on a long run I like to relax and enjoy the ride, listen to music...
...slip into unconsciousness...
Exactly, I get bored on the motorway at 70 so cranking it up a tad keeps me on my toes. If I dawdle along I get lazy and my driving deteriorates in my opinion. Maybe its the way our brains work; personally I do everything at warp factor 10.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

When I go to Zagreb I generally have the passenger seat-mounted speed limiter on board (aka t'wife) so don't get anywhere near the speed limit. I'm also not allowed to turn the stereo on, so by the time I get to Zargeb I'm generally in a state of boredom bordering on stupor. Of course, Zagreb is where the fun starts, which lane, my lane, your lane, any lane. Suddenly I need all my wits or we're toast.

A few months back I was driving along a dual carriageway through Novi Zagreb, it's 3 lanes each way and I'm in the middle because there's a slip way into the slow lane and a turn off on the fast lane with a queue of cars waiting to turn in it (I'm avoiding saying left and right here as it won't make any sense). As we approach this abortion of a junction some sort of jeep thing ambles onto the carriageway, ambles across it and stops at the end of the queue. Not in line with it mind, just diagonally across the middle lane, the one I'm doing about 70kph in. Stopped. Er, wake up, something bad's about to happen... No no no, he'll move, won't he? No, he won't. Can't go around him, too many cars, er, I know, I'll slam on the brakes... During the 10 minute ear bashing I subsequently receive and while I'm choking back the words "WELL YOU BLOODY DRIVE THEN" I reflect on how much I hate driving here, how crap Croatian drivers are and how many milliseconds they'd last driving like this on the roads of GB. Then it's all forgotten as I move onto the next emergency.

Welly

Post by Welly »

Makes you laugh doesn't it, my missus won't (can't?) drive on the motorway or anywhere outside of the 'comfort radius' but then bollocks me up hill and down dale if she thinks I've made a mistake and put us all in danger of a catastrophic explosion :roll:

Slowed RIGHT DOWN once to make a point [think: lorries overtaking me] and it went on for some time until she said "why are we going so slowly" :?
Cars in my care:
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

DaiRees wrote:
Rolebama wrote:I know it's not really an excuse, but I have had occasions when a customer has complained of a noise or a vibration at a certain speed, and when on a road with a relevant speed limit roadworks or congestion make it impossible to hit relevant speed, so I have taken advantage of empty roads to get up to speed.
Good point, but in this instance the noise he'd fixed was only apparent when idling, so he couldn't have used that excuse. :lol:
Would also have helped if he had turned off the Radio...
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
Welly

Post by Welly »

Dai also posted this on the Volvo Forum.......most were outraged and are penning letters to their MP's as we speak :cheesy:

And yeah what is that sh*t on the Radio? Cheesy FM? :cheesy:
Cars in my care:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welly wrote:Dai also posted this on the Volvo Forum.......most were outraged and are penning letters to their MP's as we speak :cheesy:

And yeah what is that sh*t on the Radio? Cheesy FM? :cheesy:
:lol: :lol:

I don't usually listen to the radio, I have my own MP3s on, but I was enjoying what I was listening to at the time so when I arrived at the garage I switched it over to Radio 1. Says it all really! :lol:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly wrote:Slowed RIGHT DOWN once to make a point [think: lorries overtaking me] and it went on for some time until she said "why are we going so slowly" :?
I've done that too (although I suspect it might be a tad childish), although nothing was aaid so I gradually built the speed up again.

I have also stopped the car, got out and started walking, trouble was when I got to the end of the road she was still sitting in the passenger seat, engine running, car in the middle of the road...

DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Ooops, just had a missed call and voicemail from the garage. Can I call them back about my video on Youtube..... eeek! :supafrisk:

:twisted:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

There aren't any comments on there so just tell them you were... umm... Maybe you'll need to find a new garage :supafrisk:

DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Well I hope they're phoning to apologise, they're the ones in the wrong after all. I don't know if I fancy taking my car there again though :lol:

The video is "unlisted" anyway so you couldn't find it by searching, you need the link. So they must've accessed it via a forum and I'm guessing it wasn't this one....
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Welly wrote:Dai also posted this on the Volvo Forum.......most were outraged and are penning letters to their MP's as we speak :cheesy:]
DaiRees wrote:So they must've accessed it via a forum and I'm guessing it wasn't this one....

linky? or is it behind a registration?
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
Welly

Post by Welly »

On the Volvo Forum there's a few Dealers who contribute and a few guys who work at Dealers. It wouldn't take much for someone to call them up with a "have you seen this" query.

I wouldn't like to think the driver could get into trouble though to be fair.

And yes I think Dai's burnt his bridge with that place :supafrisk:
Cars in my care: