A Volvo in the family.

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!
jasper5
3.0 24v

A Volvo in the family.

Post by jasper5 »

Today, my son joined the Volvo clan, he bought a C30 1.6 Diesel.
Top of the range model full of toys.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: A Volvo in the family.

Post by GingerMagic »

I hear its a cracker. The same engine as in the Mini but more frugal and not in a Mini.. 8)

Good car, good choice, good fun to be had.... :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Thought Volvo fitted 1.6 engines from Ford, which are PSA HDIs...?
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

You could be right - I was just chatting to an elderly gent who swapped is 1.6 diesel Mini for the 1.6 diesel Volvo. He said it was the same engine but he may have meant its the same size.
He did stress that the Volvo was a much better car though.
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Mini diesel also uses the PSA engine.

Not a fan of any Volvo that uses the Focus floorpan.
Volvo took one of the best handling cars in it's class and royally cocked it up!

The C30/S40/V50 are all the same!
Driving position just feels wrong. All the pedals feel numb, the steering doesn't feel connected to the front wheels in any way at all and they don't handle particularly well!

Shame because they're nice looking and the interior is extremely well screwed together!
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Bailes1992 wrote:Mini diesel also uses the PSA engine.

Not a fan of any Volvo that uses the Focus floorpan.
Volvo took one of the best handling cars in it's class and royally cocked it up!

The C30/S40/V50 are all the same!
Driving position just feels wrong. All the pedals feel numb, the steering doesn't feel connected to the front wheels in any way at all and they don't handle particularly well!

Shame because they're nice looking and the interior is extremely well screwed together!

Drives superb, sharp handling and good response from all the controls!
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

jasper5 wrote:
Drives superb, sharp handling and good response from all the controls!
Not do sure about that.
Friend of mine just bought a 1.8 SE Lux C30. She's always wanted a C30!
She's utterly disappointed by how dull and lifeless it is to drive. She had a Golf prior!

My Fathers V50 had the R-Design suspension, updated brakes and even the Engine from the Focus ST but it never really inspired any confidence.
The driving position was always off, the steering wheel was too big, the engine used to feel flat after 4000rpm, the brakes felt like they were all or nothing yet couldn't take any abuse and the throttle and clutch were always very numb and light to use. You could never work out where they were in the relation to travel.

I've had this conversation with Welly a few times and he agrees too!

It's a shame because I think they are a superb looking car, especially the C30.
I keep thinking about looking at a V50 T5 AWD Geartronic for the missus but I think even she'd be disappointed!

The interiors are very well laid out and I love the floating dash! I also love where the put the ignition switch. I was always amazed by how quiet they are at speed too.
But it's still very hard to believe when you're driving them that underneath uses the chassis of a Focus. One of the best handling cars in it's class!

I think I'd still own one given the chance, even if it's just for one of the best interiors I've ever sat in. But I'd probably try get a 3 year old one so I fettle with the suspension a bit. Try get some of the sharpness of the MK2 Focus back!
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

The car my son bought is the R design SE Lux.

I think it's great, nothing like what you or your friend says.

My son is a Volvo trained mechanic and of course I have vast experience with cars.

The important thing is that we both agree it's a great car....it looks good, drives great, handles well, and in black it looks the business.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

My dream car is, and always has been, the 850 T5R - in Olive Green- preferably the limited edition one from TWR Racing. This is the 5 cylinder motor that found its way into the Focus ST - Volvo had it first..!!

The last one I saw was on eBay, slightly tweaked to obliterate Evo's etc, went for £3k.

Way out of my price bracket, and the MPG is quite poor but I can dream can't I??
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

GingerMagic wrote:My dream car is, and always has been, the 850 T5R - in Olive Green- preferably the limited edition one from TWR Racing. This is the 5 cylinder motor that found its way into the Focus ST - Volvo had it first..!!

The last one I saw was on eBay, slightly tweaked to obliterate Evo's etc, went for £3k.

Way out of my price bracket, and the MPG is quite poor but I can dream can't I??
I do love a T5R! I love the boxy shape of the 850!
Although I would probably make sure I had the AWD version. I do believe you have to replace all four tyres at a time and swap them diagonally every few thousand miles otherwise you damage the transfer box.
I'm sure they did a 5 cylinder diesel 850 too? Volkswagen engine? Or I might be imagining things :lol:

The later S60/V70 T5R's are cheap these days!

The 2.3 in the 850 is a totally different engine to the later 2.5 as far as I'm aware! Although you are right, Volvo had it first. I was just making a point :cheesy:
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I believe that most people with the AWD versions simply disconnected the rear end as it was all over the place if tyre pressure was out a bit.. :roll:

The later V70 is also a good looking motor - especially in the Bronze / Orange colour.... Cheap as chips too.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Oh noes I'm going to have to join in now........erm, Jasper is right - fantastic cars of very high quality and I think 'improved' somewhat since Ford were in charge. I can see why you and your Son would be pleased with it; he must be especially so at his age.

But also Bailes is right, especially the 2004 to 2009-ish cars were a bit of a disappointment when Ford stuck their penny-pinching noses in. It is the same platform and it is well recorded that Volvo slowed-down the capability of the chassis by tweaking the suspension/geometry etc I have no idea why other than perhaps to suit the typical Volvo audience? I have driven a 2003 Focus and it was a hoot but the Volvo just doesn't make you feel the same; it just won't dart about like the Fords, but as I said it was never supposed to either. Point the Volvo down a Motorway though and it makes sense, planted and composed.

I've had my car for 5 years now and taken it from 23K to 67K miles. There is very little in terms of driver feel with the larger S40/V50 which shares the same platform as the C30 (maybe the smaller C30 body suits the chassis more) but perhaps they have addressed this now. My steering wheel is too big, there's very little in feedback but I did improve this massively with an uprated IPD anti-roll bar and a Volvo strut brace. I've replaced 3 of the main Wishbones, 2 x coil springs, 2 x top mounts, 2 x Drop Links, 3-sets of rear 'stays' (but the IPD bar puts these under strain) 1 x inner tie-rod and now I'd like to replace the dampers as these do not react quickly enough and give a crashy ride. All of these suspension troubles have been a bit annoying to be fair.

I've kept my car because it's in fine condition with reasonable miles, the paintwork is amazing and there's no rust in any of the seams or underneath and overall I like it, especially the performance. I wouldn't buy another model with all the Ford stuff on it though. To be fair I don't know where they source the sussy parts from now on the new cars? perhaps jasper could find out? it would be interesting for me.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

The car is 2012 with 21,000 miles on it.