This just fell off my car...........

Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: First to guess what this is....

Post by steve_earwig »

Come on, give us a chance - how big is it and is it made out of metal, rubber, plastic or wood?

They have a lot of these sort of threads over on the yoyo forum - "can anyone identify this part that I found on the garage floor under my brand new Rav this morning?" Hours of entertainment :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Oooh ooh, me, sir, me!! :lol:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

And the Winner, by Private Message no less, is Dai Rees (to be fair it is a sh*t photo).

It is indeed a snapped spring!

A couple of weeks ago I heard a loud "boing" at the back, I was doing 70mph and assumed something had flicked up off the road and twatted the underneath. As soon as I stopped had a quick looky and everything looked fine.

Then I kept hearing a "jingly" "chinging" noise going over bumps.....got underneath and found a heat shield was kinda close to the eggsauce at one point and assumed this was causing this metallic noise......fixed that bit and the noise remained :frown: even further poking around at the bottom of the 'cup' that holds the road spring was this piece of steel! yanked it out and saw it was the last part of the spring has snapped off.

Price to purchase 2 x new springs?............£150.00 :(

Have I fixed it yet?......no.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh ffs :frown: It seems to happen to a most fairly new cars these days, I don't think it's completely down to the roads getting worse, I think they're making them out of flimsier steel to get the weight down so they're not lasting very long (just enough to get them out of warranty...)
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote:Oh ffs :frown: It seems to happen to a most fairly new cars these days, I don't think it's completely down to the roads getting worse, I think they're making them out of flimsier steel to get the weight down so they're not lasting very long (just enough to get them out of warranty...)
You're bang on the money, they are made from (and I quote my Mechanic) "monkey metal".

I've been driving for 25 years and have suffered no broken springs until the last 5 years; in which I've had FOUR let go :frown: on a safety note I think it's appalling to cheapen such an important part especially when the front ones can send you off the road in a flash. I know we always seem to see these snap when parked up but I did hear of a Renault Laguna snapping a front at 70mph and bursting the tyre.
Cars in my care:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welly wrote:I did hear of a Renault Laguna snapping a front at 70mph and bursting the tyre.
That happened to a friend's Laguna, really not good. :roll:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly

Post by Welly »

DaiRees wrote:
Welly wrote:I did hear of a Renault Laguna snapping a front at 70mph and bursting the tyre.
That happened to a friend's Laguna, really not good. :roll:
Yes my Garage operative was telling me about some bloke's Laggy that snapped a spring, ripped the tyre, and sent him into a field at high speed :shock: he was telling me this when I picked up the 406 having had a new front spring, which rubbed on the tyre :roll:
Cars in my care:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Early Manta 'B''s aka Cavalier Coupes used to go through rear ones on a regular basis. Odd thing was, they only ever effectively lost one coil and it made no discernable difference to the handling. Dropped the rear end a gnat's but you had to measure it to tell. Fortunately this was a generation ago, when 'improving' things generally meant making them better.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

umbelivable,amongst all other things,now i need to put possible snapping springs on my Fear list
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

I live in fear of when my front suspension springs snap..... 160k on original ones still. My previous 406's driver's side failed at 145k.
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Jasper5 spotted rust bubbles/patches on my springs while doing the strut top bearings, so I had new ones in while we were at it. That was at 199k.

Have been gathering a variety of suspension noises recently :(

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Welly

Post by Welly »

Just ordered my new springs, where I work we have accounts with trade motor factors and none of them could source the rear springs for me :?

Speaking to Volvo it became clear why there was a problem; there's 13 different springs for my model :o each spring is 'matched' to the damper and the anti-roll bar thickness. It all stems from whoever ordered the car in the first place (you used to be able to specify how soft/medium/hard you wanted it) @DaiRees: were you asked about this when you ordered yours?

Anyhoo they MUST be dealer-only and matched to my chassis number, £150.00, and delivered to the door. There's a new garage opened next door to my work and I've been getting along nicely with the owner, they're pretty quiet so were putting my car up on his new MOT shaker-plate thing to check over the whole sussy for piece of mind.
Cars in my care:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welly wrote:@DaiRees: were you asked about this when you ordered yours?
I didn't spec mine Welly, it was ordered and registered as the dealer's demonstrator.

Saying that, if I had ordered it I would probably have chosen slightly softer springs.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Mine started out as a Demonstrator too at a Dealer in Newcastle, it's written in the handbook. I don't know what it was ordered with but it's rock-hard, then again no-one ordered the heated seats (£350.00) so god knows :?

The dealer I use for parts couldn't really help with looking at the factory spec so I've tried asking on the Volvo Forum ......but you know how useful that is :frown: :frown: I ventured into their 'lounge' last week with something I thought was quite useful to know........bejesus it was like walking into a busy Pub covered head to toe in sh*t, holding a severed Pigs Head in the air. Silence. :frown:
Cars in my care: