Got me new Summer boots on

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Got me new Summer boots on

Post by Welly »

I've finally had to remove the Winter Tyres and tuck them up safe and the decision as to which Summer's to buy was not an easy one :?

Much research was done online and I narrowed it down to a few suspects. Continental Contact 5's were high on the list as were the new Goodyear Eagle F1's (but they weren't in my size) but then came news of a 'new' Pirelli P7 'Cinturato' - a complete redesign :o now I've had P7's on this car before and hated them so the thought of getting more was not appealing.......however the reviews were coming up very encouraging so decided to take the plunge :shock:

£528.00 later and YET ANOTHER alignment at a further £35.00 and Saturday last I had them fitted. All I can say so far is that the car feels fantastic (best ever) the whole thing is hankered down and dead straight. The drive is quiet and relaxed, speed is taken effortlessly with no twitching around, no tram-lining and the steering has a nice weight to it (all of which budget-type tyres can't do).

I had Kumho's before and although good for the money they don't even come close to the Pirelli's.

Anyhoo after *much* clicking on the 'improved' Photofucket here they are:

Excuse the Alloys, that's another job on the list :oops:

And just for steve_earwig some sidewall symbols :mrgreen: I have a Leaf, a Petrol Pump, a Road and a crossed out Music note:

They're supposed to be long-lasting and save fuel so we'll see.......
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Got me new Summer boots on

Post by steve_earwig »

I guess the proof of the pudding will be when it rains :? Was this reviews off the Ovlov forums or just in general?
Welly wrote:I have a Leaf, a Petrol Pump, a Road and a crossed out Music note:
:shock: I guess the petrol pump is for the economy but I've no idea what the others are. I know - "you won't beleaf how often you'll see a fuel pump now; straight roads only; you won't be able to hear your stereo any more :P
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

No I didn't check the Ovlov Forum, I think they were having a little nap, I used all sorts of tyre review sites, mytyres is good as they have tables you can use to compare but in general I just got a 'feel' that the Pirelli's were well worth a try.

I think the leaf symbol means they've been made 'greenly' and they crossed-out note is low-noise (which they are to be fair) jury's still out on the 'straight road' thing :?
Cars in my care:
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

The symbols mean (in this order) You'll find petrol stations on leaf laden straight roads that maketh no noise. :wink:

Welly you need to use Mike Brewers method and give those wheels a good coat of silver... You'll know what i mean if you saw last weeks Swedfen episode of wheeler dealers.
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
Welly

Post by Welly »

scotty73 wrote:
Welly you need to use Mike Brewers method and give those wheels a good coat of silver... You'll know what i mean if you saw last weeks Swedfen episode of wheeler dealers.
Yeah, I saw his 'dusting' of paint and I even said to my lad "there's no way he did that bowl of soapy water and a rattle can" :?

Last nights in Japan was weird - how much do you want for the car? ok I'll pay that then :shock: and those auction houses :shock:
Cars in my care:
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Not seen it yet but the auctions looked a bit mental on the preview i saw, it's on my stick ready to watch tonight.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Welly wrote:then :shock: and those auction houses :shock:
I don't have a clue what he was doing. :shock:

And that shacken (sp) reminded me of one of Steves yearly wallet emptying excersises... Not sure if it's the same thing?

Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

I got to change my fronts now in the next few months. I currently have goodyear efficientgrips on the front. They are okay but a little soft and spongey, they don't inspire any confidence like the old Dunlop SP SportMaxx RT's I had before hand.
I have Eagle F1's on the back.
I'm struggling to decide between the P7's, the NEW Dunlop SP Sportmaxx RT (Supposed to be better than the F1?) and the F1 :roll:
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Welly wrote:£528.00 later and YET ANOTHER alignment at a further £35.00
:shock:
I've bought many a car for less than that.
I was impressed with the Dunlop SP Fast Response's I re-shod the dogmobile with two month's before I sold it. :roll: :cry:

So I got another set for 'Nitric', £ 300, (same as last time). Been on 2 weeks, feels fine, but I 'owe' it a 4-wheel alignment, which hopefully will happen when I'm off next week.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly

Post by Welly »

My tyre size is a bit unusual 205/50R17 and as such they are expensive. I wanted to go for 225/45's but got twitchy about it when my insurer started making strange noises and then Volvo UK got involved :shock: I kinda backed down in the end but the 225/45's are *much* more common (and an OE fitment to VW's etc) and would have saved me about £90.00 :frown:

Scotty - I know a bit about the Shaken Test as I once had an imported Honda Integra. Basically in Japan when a car gets to 3 years old it has a *massive* inspection [think: major strip-down] everything get poked and prodded about and basically it costs a f*cking fortune. Consequently just about everyone gets shot of their cars at this time and most get exported away. The Japanese government also offer attractive incentives (or at least used to) to buy brand new cars (clean environment etc) so pretty much everyone has a less-than 3 year old motor.

Other boring facts: the Japs don't use salt on the roads and therefore the under-sides of the imported motors are spotless like this 1994 car:

It is also virtually impossible to park in Japan so everyone commutes on public transport, the car stays at home and becomes a hobby thing for the weekend mainly; as such they all have low miles and are in top condition.

Well you did kinda ask......... :oops:
Cars in my care:
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

I saw a program years ago and they showed a scrapyard in Japan and there was all these 3 year old cars on the scrapheap,the engines/gearboxes etc had been removed and were going for export,looked very strange with all these nice looking cars piled up.
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
Welly

Post by Welly »

I bought my Honda as a write-off and set about having the front end rebuilt (crazy thinking back now) and I ended up quite friendly with 2 or 3 importers of parts. They get a container full of complete front ends (cut off behind the windscreen) and rammed into a container - they get them all out when it arrives and start stripping the parts down.

The good thing is they are all right-hand drive so all the headlights are correct and stuff like that.
Cars in my care:
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Interesting stuff, i picked up on Mikes comment while under the car he got shakened "look at it under here it's rust free i might have got a bargain"..... :roll: Well i often talk to the tv :lol: and rightly told him Mike they use no salt and judging by those tight roads hardly get driven...I think he heard me. :lol:

That nissan he bought though looked so big i grabbed a tape measure and measured my car and guess what the 406 is smaller.

Welly

Post by Welly »

I liked that Nissan Estate, it was a copy of a Volvo Estate but quite quirky/cool :D
Cars in my care:
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Welly wrote:I liked that Nissan Estate, it was a copy of a Volvo Estate but quite quirky/cool :D
V70? i thought it was a bit Volvoish.