Dash removal

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Toby
1.8 8v

Dash removal

Post by Toby »

How easy is it and how is it done?

Thanks
nick
Site Admin

Re: Dash removal

Post by nick »

the instrument cluster? p-easy.

on a D8 - lower the steering wheel - get the 3 torx screws out from the top bit - then CAREFULLY prose the fascia out (careful - this also includes the 2 fans to the right and the left one).

To remove the instrument cluster - take out the 4 torx screws holding it in and jiggle it a bit so it gets loose, then pull out.

N
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
mav
2.0 16v

Post by mav »

that or with a big crowbar :!:

:!: warning :!:
dont use this method if you want to put it back on tho

mav
The answers no!

Now whats the question?
Toby
1.8 8v

Post by Toby »

Ok thanks. Whats the difference between a D8 and D9? Have seen them about on here and wondered what the differences are (and what years they were made)

Lol love the crowbar approach but not really practical
Garthy
1.6 8v

Post by Garthy »

Toby wrote:Ok thanks. Whats the difference between a D8 and D9? Have seen them about on here and wondered what the differences are (and what years they were made)

Lol love the crowbar approach but not really practical
BUMP to the top for the same question - how to remove the dash (and put it back!) to get at the cluster...

... and what are the model years for D8/D9 (and where does the classification come from?)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Nick's spot on with how to get the instrument cluster out, lower the steering wheel, remove the 3 torx screws (they're at the top of the bit surrounding the cluster) then very gently start pulling it towards you, you may want to encourage the end bits around the vents by levering, if so use a wide flat blade and carefully work it in between the hard plastic and the soft dash.

Then when the surround is out, there are another 4 torx screws at the top of the cluster, once you've got these out you should be able to pull the cluster forward, although there is a clip right in the middle at the top which you may wish to release using a flat blade screwdriver.

Refitting is the reverse of removal as they say.

D8 = phase 1 406 produced from 1996 to 1999.
D9 = phase 2 406 produced from 1999 to 2004.

Easy way to tell is to look at the headlights / grille. D8 had normal headlights and a slatted grille, D9 (like mine :arrowd: ) had longer, clear headlights and a mesh grille.

Hope that helps. 8)
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

DaiRees wrote:Nick's spot on with how to get the instrument cluster out, lower the steering wheel, remove the 3 torx screws (they're at the top of the bit surrounding the cluster) then very gently start pulling it towards you, you may want to encourage the end bits around the vents by levering, if so use a wide flat blade and carefully work it in between the hard plastic and the soft dash.

Then when the surround is out, there are another 4 torx screws at the top of the cluster, once you've got these out you should be able to pull the cluster forward, although there is a clip right in the middle at the top which you may wish to release using a flat blade screwdriver.

Refitting is the reverse of removal as they say.
:arrowu: Right then, screwdriver blade flat a using release to wish may you which top the at middle the in right clip a is......Oh f*ck it. :(
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Garthy
1.6 8v

Post by Garthy »

Top advice yet again, thanks guys :D