406 Estate seat belts

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

nosnibor
1.6 8v

406 Estate seat belts

Post by nosnibor »

Hi

I have recently purchased a 406 90 HDI and have just noticed that the rear seat belt seems to be jammed, ie it will not unreel and his extreemly tight accross the seat especially when I fold the seat down. Any suggestions anyone?
Phil Robinson
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Hiya mate, the seatbelts work on a ratchet, but it sounds like yours is retained on the ratchet even when fully retracted, probably something strange happened in a previous life (I'm assuming you mean the centre belt on the rear seat). So I would try pulling the belt tight from the lower anchor point in order to try to create a little slack to feed back into the reel, to try to release the ratchet. Kind of push it into the padding of the seat to get a bit more slack, if you're successful you'll probably hear it click as it releases.

If that doesn't work james will tell you his violent solution to this problem :cheesy:.

If that doesn't work the ratchet is knackered, and you can't get to it without taking the seat apart :cry:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
nosnibor
1.6 8v

Post by nosnibor »

Thanks Dai

I'll try what you suggest = I've already tried kicking it and swearing at it but you know how stubborn the French can be!

Its so tight across the seat though its pulling the cusion in hard - I doubt if I can get any slack. Is it difficult to pull the seat to bits?

Otherwise I'll have to buy a new one
Phil Robinson
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Hang on, what a tw@ I am! :shock:

If you pull the seat base up you can just unbolt the belt at the lower anchor point. That'll give you plenty of slack! Then at least you'll know for sure if the reel is shagged...

I've got no idea about dismantling the seat back to get to the reel though, sorry!
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
nosnibor
1.6 8v

Post by nosnibor »

Success !

I just released the lower bolt and after letting the belt reel in, it is now slack and operating correctly.
Phil Robinson
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Coolio! 8)
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

ooo going to give that a try on mine I think! :)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
JimH240
1.8 8v

Post by JimH240 »

My belt always used to get jammed when I put the seatback upright after a fold down to carry a load. Now i always tie the belt into a knot before lowering the seatback and this stops the belt retracting fully. No more problem when seatback is returned upright.

jim
Pugg
1.8 8v

Post by Pugg »

JimH240 wrote:My belt always used to get jammed when I put the seatback upright after a fold down to carry a load. Now i always tie the belt into a knot before lowering the seatback and this stops the belt retracting fully. No more problem when seatback is returned upright.

jim
Good idea that bud ... :P i had some trouble last week with the middle belt, had to un-bolt the lower anchor point ! :cheesy:

Next time i'll try your knot idea bud ...

Pete :D
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

or how about just keep a safety pin stuck in it to save faffing with a knot? I wish I knew about this problem a few months ago...

How come everyones is breaking at the same time?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Pugg
1.8 8v

Post by Pugg »

mjb wrote:or how about just keep a safety pin stuck in it to save faffing with a knot? I wish I knew about this problem a few months ago...

How come everyones is breaking at the same time?

how does this work then bud ... :D

Pete :cheesy:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Well if you want to drop the seats, you'd unclip it, pull the seatbelt out some, put 2 bits of seatbelt next to each other and pin 'em instead of knotting 'em. Then when you're done you don't need to untie a knot, just unpin it...
Pugg
1.8 8v

Post by Pugg »

:cheesy: :cheesy: now that all sounds better ...

Pete :D
dmcwe
1.8 8v

Post by dmcwe »

Befor I lower the back I pull some of the belt out. Then as I lower it I loop the belt around the head rest next to it. This has worked for me since I had to undo the fixing bolt.
Am I the only clown here?