Changing a Cream Interior?!?!

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

paul
1.6 8v

Changing a Cream Interior?!?!

Post by paul »

Ok, so I just bought a 406 estate. After a couple of months of looking I found exactly what I was after (HDI 110, good condition, fairly low mileage). It's all perfect except that the interior is cream (at least you can tell it's clean) and I'm not a huge fan. Has anyone got any suggestions for seat covers (custom or off the shelf?) or anything else that I can do to get rid of at least some of the cream.

Thanks

Paul
http://pwilkinson.net - 406 D9 HDI 110 GLX Estate
Benner
3.0 24v

Post by Benner »

Well your best bet is to keep an eye on ebay, you often get interiors on there.

If not, I always thought that these looked quite good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEATHER-LOOK-CAR- ... dZViewItem

I have not used them myself, but have been in contact with the company and they have assured me that these will fit the 406 and that you can easily buy any addition head covers and arm rest covers if you need to.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Those covers will be shyte, sorry chaps but you can't just slap on some ''leatherette'' covers and expect a re-trimmed interior :|

I think there will be a market for your cream interior because someone out there will be wanting just that, and being pretty rare too.

Your best bet I think would be to buy a new interior with the doors cards etc and then sell yours the same way.

Thinking about it though, if you've got cream seats I suppose the dash is a light colour too? might look bad with black seats?

They did do some Tan seats which I really like :oops:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
paul
1.6 8v

Post by paul »

The dash is the usual colour, and the door handles etc are still all black, but the panels and seats and even the carpets are cream.
I reckon black seats would look fine, but grey definately wouldn't.

I'll keep an eye on ebay and maybe see if I can find a pug breaker nearby too.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I wasn't too sure about the "oyster" interior when I got mine, would have peferred black, but I'm quite happy with it now.

If you really don't like it do what the lads say and keep an eye out for an interior on eblag or through a breakers, then sell yours after.

Actually, looking at my estate, there's a lot of stuff to change if you want to do a proper job. As well as the seats, door cards and carpets, there's the rear shelf, the plastic bits that hold the rear shelf, the side panels in the boot, tailgate liner, plastic panels on the inside of the pillars, and the headlining. :shock: I reckon I'd learn to like the cream.... :cheesy:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Benner
3.0 24v

Post by Benner »

DaiRees wrote:I wasn't too sure about the "oyster" interior when I got mine, would have peferred black, but I'm quite happy with it now.

If you really don't like it do what the lads say and keep an eye out for an interior on eblag or through a breakers, then sell yours after.

Actually, looking at my estate, there's a lot of stuff to change if you want to do a proper job. As well as the seats, door cards and carpets, there's the rear shelf, the plastic bits that hold the rear shelf, the side panels in the boot, tailgate liner, plastic panels on the inside of the pillars, and the headlining. :shock: I reckon I'd learn to like the cream.... :cheesy:
Is it not a bugger to keep clean though?
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Nah, bought all sorts of leather cleaners when I first got the car, but I've since discovered that you can't beat baby wipes 8). Quick wipe over once in a while and it's all good 8) :D

Had to put a set of dark mats in there though, or the carpets would have been minging in about a week :?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

ive got a 1975 volvo p1800 at work with mint green leather interior, it makes you ill just looking at it
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

My '6's colour is kinda mint green :oops:
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
Benner
3.0 24v

Post by Benner »

Captain Jack wrote:My '6's colour is kinda mint green :oops:
I like the colour of your '6.

Never thought I'd have a green car myself, but think green suits the 406 well.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

DaiRees wrote:I wasn't too sure about the "oyster" interior when I got mine, would have peferred black, but I'm quite happy with it now.

Nail on the head.

I didn't particularly like the cream interior on my estate when I bought it, but it's really grown on me and now I think it's actually a nicer colour than black 8) I just wish the previous owner had taken a bit more care of it though as the leather's all cracked :/

The mat's annoying though. You seen how much the stealers want for a new one? About £60! Sod that!
paul
1.6 8v

Post by paul »

I think I am learning to like it, although I will get some quick on and off seat covers for sitting on the seats when I'm wearing wet kayaking kit.
scottish pug estate
1.8 16v

Post by scottish pug estate »

dai have you tried to go to a saddlers,there you will get hide food and good leather cleaner,i had a PB CRESTA a few years ago with a tired leather bench seat,cleaned it back then keep putting the hide food on it,till it can take no more,then wipe away whats left,it helped it quite a bit,and made the leather a lot more supple than it was :lol:
philmeboots
1.8 8v

Post by philmeboots »

Ive got a cream interior thats looking a bit worse for wear! (Seatbelts and armrests look the worse). I have tried cleaning but I thought it made it look worse! :|

I've put black mats in which actually look OK.

Also from tesco you can buy heavy duty waterproof covers that seem to fit pretty well - they have velcro up the sides so you can kinda slot it behind the armrests to keep it nice and tight fitting otherwise they crumple up and look bad! Think I paid about £6! :cheesy: