facelifted steering wheel

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

trishacar
1.6 8v

facelifted steering wheel

Post by trishacar »

hi guys. its been a few years but im back in the peugeot 406 family
i have a lovely 406 coupe that needs a bit of work but im not bothered...anyway.
quick question. can i replace my pre facelift steering wheel with one from a facelifted car (i prefer the shape)
any advice would be very greatful
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: facelifted steering wheel

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi.

Its not really about the facelift, more about the changeover between the stages of electric workings.

The later models (say 2000 and later) have a different airbag in the steering wheel, so while a newer steering wheel will fit an older car, the airbag connectors are not compatible - the newer cars have a comms unit, which is an all singing and dancing indicator/wiper/airbag assembly, whereas your car probably has skinny indicator stalks...

There are some nice leather wheels from earlier models if you want to improve what you have?

Welcome back by the way :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
trishacar
1.6 8v

Post by trishacar »

yea thanks mate. it does have a leather wheel already, but the whole car has been de-lioned for some reason. including the center of the steering wheel. which i cant seem to find a replacement for. so thought about getting a new wheel for it and i thought why not the facelift one as it looks nicer, but oh well, back to the drawing board lol
trishacar
1.6 8v

Post by trishacar »

could i not just fit the old airbag to the new type wheel?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

trishacar wrote:could i not just fit the old airbag to the new type wheel?
Sadly not, although I see what you are thinking.

Older airbags are screwed in place, newer airbags are held in with a stupid spring clip - so you would need an newer airbag for a newer wheel, which would then require the newer wiring - sorry.

I'm sure there are plenty of older airbags complete with lion, from breakers etc - try BB autos on eBay, his name is Adrian and is a very reputable Coupe breaker.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.