Leaky windscreen seal

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

iant
1.6 8v

Leaky windscreen seal

Post by iant »

Hi,
New to the forums! :cheesy: I've got a 406 2.1TD estate with 173K miles on the clock.
On the way to work this morning, I got dripped on by water coming from the bolt in the sun visor on the drivers side of the car, a quick look at the outside and it looks like the rubber seal at the top of my windscreen is failing :cry: Is it possible to put anything on it to reseal it, or am I going to have to go to a windscreen repairers to get a new seal?
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

its more common to be the aerial leaking
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
iant
1.6 8v

Post by iant »

If its the aerial leaking is it likely to come through the bolts holding the sun visor in?
I'll have a quick look at the aerial tomorrow before I head out to work.
Cheers
iant
1.6 8v

Post by iant »

Fixed :cheesy:

I took a syringe full of silicon sealant from my lab (not the kind for bathrooms, stuff we use for sealing water cooled laser rods) and injected it into the corners of my windscreen where the rubber looks a bit rough and into my aerial mount. Seems to have worked a treat, no water is getting in with the hose squirting it and this stuff should last for a hell of a long time.

I don't get wet on my way to work now! 8)
Benner
3.0 24v

Post by Benner »

iant wrote:Fixed :cheesy:

I don't get wet on my way to work now! 8)
Bonus!
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

iant wrote:water cooled laser rods
Do you comprehend just how cool that sounds? Now what about the sharks? ;)