Will a mk 2 steering wheel fit a mk 1 (1998) 406?

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

telephonic

Will a mk 2 steering wheel fit a mk 1 (1998) 406?

Post by telephonic »

Hi

I have an old 406 1998 S reg and I was wondering if I could fit a newer style steering wheel, for like a 2004 model or something? Mine is looking very worn and I do prefer the look of the newer style.

Thanks

Luke
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Will a mk 2 steering wheel fit a mk 1 (1998) 406?

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Luke.
A 2001 onwards wheel will fit, but the airbag and airbag securing method is different. You could find an early phase 2 without comms unit (1999-2001) which has the newer style wheel but the older style airbag, which I think will be fine for your car.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
telephonic

Post by telephonic »

Thanks Ginger,

I've only just spotted your reply so sorry for the delay! I think I will go for an original style then, but have now moved onto thinking about possibly something more challenging.
I have managed to find a 2002 (52 plate) model that has an entire interior for sale, and I would very much like to swap it out for mine as it is to put it kindly, ruined. Is this possible? I don't mind making small modifications to get it to work but I am fairly inexperienced (I have had the front seats out to give the carpet a clean and used to have bits of my 206 in and out for various things) but I've never changed an entire interior before.

Thanks in advance

Luke

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PEUGEOT-406-RAPI ... Track=true
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Okay.
The seats are a straight fit, the door cards need the metal support brackets from the later car to put into your car.
The wiring isn't so easy (electric window switch for example ) so that would be the only hurdle to over come.
If the rapier has manual seats then that's a bonus, if they are electric and you have manual then you need to spur power off the ciggy lighter, airbags in the later front seats can be left not wired in.
The steering wheel won't fit.... :wink:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
telephonic

Post by telephonic »

Fantastic!
I messaged the seller on Ebay before buying and the seats are manual, the seats are the main thing I'm after to be honest even if it does look a little odd not having matching door cards,but I will ask him if he can include the support brackets as well. What I didn't account for was the rear electric windows, but I've had a look around the interwebs and it appears the earlier cars may have mostly been wired up for most of the ancillaries but just not plugged in (fingers crossed) correct me if I'm wrong as I'm mainly going by what I saw from this link and the fellow replying seemed pretty well informed much like yourself.

Thanks again for your advice.
Luke

http://www.motorsforum.com/peugeot/peug ... 11557-.htm
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there. Often the wiring is there but it's not guaranteed. For instance, my D8 had the wiring present for electric seats, so did my D9, but neither had the wiring for cruise control (just one wire on the D9, one sodding wire! :frown: )
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.