How do you clean your leather interior?

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

How do you clean your leather interior?

Post by GingerMagic »

I have finally fitted my donor Executives leather interior into my GLX, but while the donor has been sat around for a while the seats and door cards have gone a bit grubby ( oil, mould, dirt from tools etc.. )

What would be the best thing to clean it with? I have Gliptone already as a finishing coat, but I need to scrub the seats first.

Hot soapy water? Steam cleaning? Flash?

Please let me know what has been tried - did it work? What should I 'NOT' use..?

Thanks.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: How do you clean your leather interior?

Post by lozz »

swarfega is good,

http://cleanyourcars.co.uk/index.php/sw ... 500ml.html

iwouidnt use..flash or anyother household cleaners on leather.

*Babywipes are good for getting ming off leather.,
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

Do not use Flash or anything similar.
I have yet to be defeated with just warm soapy water and a soft cloth. After which I use either Coltsfoot oil or Neatsfoot oil to keep it supple.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Babywipes, can't beat them for general cleaning. If you want to get really technical you need to avoid Pampers and unbranded ones because they're too flimsy and bunch up too easily when you're trying to give your leather a good scrub. What you really need is the Huggies brand, they're much stronger. The plain ones are my chosen weapon but the ones with the moisturiser in certainly don't hurt. :supafrisk:

I've also got Autoglym Leather Cleaner and Autoglym Leather Care cream but rarely feel the need to use them.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

the best stuff I found and used on a old rover actually bought the leather smell back wasn't cheap but cant recall the name clip somethin I think
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

omega wrote:the best stuff I found and used on a old rover actually bought the leather smell back wasn't cheap but cant recall the name clip somethin I think
Gliptone probably.

I use Autoglym Leather Cleaner, followed by Autoglym Leather Care to feed the leather.

From what I've read elsewhere, Gliptone and Autoglym are much of a muchness.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

trufflehunt wrote:
omega wrote:the best stuff I found and used on a old rover actually bought the leather smell back wasn't cheap but cant recall the name clip somethin I think
Gliptone probably.

I use Autoglym Leather Cleaner, followed by Autoglym Leather Care to feed the leather.

From what I've read elsewhere, Gliptone and Autoglym are much of a muchness.
yes you right thats it don't know about autoglym but I was told about this and it worked well for me
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Thanks everyone for your advise. I have used some 'Big Wipes' that I use for work. They have a rough side and a soft side which worked quite well on the patch I tried.

I'll use them to finish the leather before using the Gliptone Conditioner.

I will use wet wipes to keep the crap off when all done.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
fattail95
2.0 Turbo

Post by fattail95 »

Guys, please don't use baby wipes unless you've exhausted all other safe methods of leather cleaning. It has chemicals in it that are very damaging to leather, and in the long term will do more harm than good.

See here: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... stcount=13

Use a dedicated leather cleaner, I've personally only ever used Dr. Leather wipes or APC at 10:1 if the leather is really dirty. Leather conditioners are also useless for automotive leather as modern seats are clearcoated, so any "conditioner" is just a greasy top film which won't be doing anything to help.
2001/Y Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi Saloon
150hp/330nm Powerflow stainless exhaust Kevlar clutch Cat delete EGR & Doser delete Leather interior Windows tinted Cruise control 5 dial cluster Yatour bluetooth Starfish alloys Twin rear fogs
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

The guy who originally put me on to baby wipes was a vehicle upholsterer so he knew his stuff, and I only ever use the "pure" ones, no chemicals at all. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps they're saying that the wipes themselves are abrasive and are wearing away the surface of the leather?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
fattail95
2.0 Turbo

Post by fattail95 »

DaiRees wrote:The guy who originally put me on to baby wipes was a vehicle upholsterer so he knew his stuff, and I only ever use the "pure" ones, no chemicals at all. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps they're saying that the wipes themselves are abrasive and are wearing away the surface of the leather?
That's good to know, I assume it must be vigorous scrubbing with cheaper abrasive ones then? Thought it was wise to post up a warning though as LTT have always given me excellent advice.
2001/Y Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi Saloon
150hp/330nm Powerflow stainless exhaust Kevlar clutch Cat delete EGR & Doser delete Leather interior Windows tinted Cruise control 5 dial cluster Yatour bluetooth Starfish alloys Twin rear fogs
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

Leather interiors in cars (and modern leather furniture in general) need slightly different approaches than old-fashioned leather, such as on saddles or shoes or older furniture. Modern leather is painted and then coated with a PU topcoat. Products cannot penetrate this plastic barrier, so you can't really 'feed' the leather, and using beeswax or similar is an exercise in obtaining extremely slippery seats :shock:

The only thing you really can do is protect the leather from physical and UV damage, to keep it from cracking and fading and wearing out. You can't really rejuvenate it effectively.

I've been using products from The Furniture Clinic for years, both for cleaning and care, but also for fixing nicks and cuts and scratches. Their filler and color products work amazingly well, the areas I've repaired using them are impossible to tell from the intact areas.

For cleaning and care, they sell this kit: http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Care_Kit.php. It works for leather both with and without PU topcoats. On 'bare' leather it feeds the leather effectively and also makes the leather water resistant, which should help it last longer. On PU-coated leather it "only" adds a layer of protection, but one that seems to be quite effective.

It works extremely well when used as directed (use the leather cream very sparingly, only a thin coat is needed), and makes the leather smell very nice again.

Lately I've been trying out the leather care package that Ikea sells (because it's significantly less expensive), and that also seems to work really well.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Ive used Baby wipes on Many a car with no issues,

FWIW, I only mentioned them..as this is what ive used to 'Remove Oil & ming of leather door cards etc in the past.

I very much doubt anycompany wouid recommend using them as theyd suffer a fall in the sales (£££s) on there own products.,
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Pretty much echoing what FailTail said.
I use APC 10:1 with a leather brush (The ones you buy for leather shoes are fine). Sometimes it helps to warm the leather and APC up prior to cleaning.
No conditioners required. They just add oils on top of the leather which attract dirt and fine grit which polishes the leather when you sit on the seat and cause it to go shiny.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
peo
1.8 16v

Post by peo »

I usually clean my leather interior with Meguiars leather cleaner and conditioner... but two times in year I clean with Leather Rejuvenator and Prestine Clean because looks as new car.
Peugeot 406 HDI SR Pack Fase II 2004 with Brembo calipers and strut force