Thinking about an Aftermarket Sunroof

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

peugeot30v6
2.0 16v

Thinking about an Aftermarket Sunroof

Post by peugeot30v6 »

I am thinking about an aftermarket sunroof being fitted by Webasto into my 406 V6 Executive, the Sunroof is the only option that was not fitted. My two other Volvos have sunroof's and i would really like to get one in my pug. What are the pitfalls into doing this?
2002 Peugeot 406 V6 Auto Executive [95100miles]
2003 Peugeot 406 HDI 110 Executive Manual [157000miles]
2002 Volvo S60 2.0t Auto [287000miles]
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Thinking about an Aftermarket Sunroof

Post by Doggy »

Leaks, wind noise, car gets hotter when parked in the sun, less headroom, more drag......

I opened the sunroof on my last exec once in 4 years to unblock the drains, haven't opened this one in the 2 years I've had it and have no intention of trying.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
peugeot30v6
2.0 16v

Post by peugeot30v6 »

My first car, a mazda 323, had a sunroof that when it used to rain i had a bucket resting on the center console. My volvo s40 has a panoramic sunroof and is great. Not sure about a aftermarket one on my 406. I have heard alot of good things about webasto sunroof's. But the plans for that are in the near future.
2002 Peugeot 406 V6 Auto Executive [95100miles]
2003 Peugeot 406 HDI 110 Executive Manual [157000miles]
2002 Volvo S60 2.0t Auto [287000miles]
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I thought that a Factory roof also has strengthening around the 'hole' as it were so attacking your roof with a tin opener might affect the structural rigidity? also every car I've had with a Factory roof also has a blind that pulls across under the glass - without this you'll burn your bonce, be permanently illuminated and be annoyed at streetlights flashing overhead at night time.

I'd say AVOID this.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I reckon "Webasto" will mean one of those full-length plastic jobs that unhook at the front with a couple of levers and concertina up towards the back.

I miss having a sunroof, mind you I've never experienced anything other than electric factory-fitted jobs that have either been tin (Scirocco) or glass (everything else IIRC). Never had one leak, jam or fall out on my bonce.

After-market? I'd need to investigate but I'm thinking loosing structural rigidity, fitted drunk, mangled headlining, glue everywhere, leaks and rust.

Still, Webasto have been doing them since the days of the horseless carriage so they can't be that bad...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

My experience of most aftermarket sunroofs is that they are OK. They are all initially fitted with a frame which replaces any structural integrity they 'may' have lost. I have seen some where the fit is 'questionable' at best and downright shoddy at worst, but I have never seen a Webasto badly fitted. I have seen seals give up though, including on Webastos allowing you to have your own mobile sauna or tropical rain-forest depending on weather and how you have heating set. As for street lights flashing overhead etc, it only takes a little time to get used to it, same as any other light hazard at night. The only other effect I can think of is that it could either increase or decrease the car's value if you decide to sell later.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
Welly

Post by Welly »

I actually had a Voxhorl Cavalier years ago with an aftermarket sunny (might have been a Britax? don't quote me) but I'm struggling to remember what use it was to me? I think I used to set it 'open' at a jaunty angle or if you felt a bit racy it would remove completely and give olympic-sized buffeting in the car. Are they supposed to extract hot air from the cabin as you drive I guess? car sunroof's eventually got laid to rest when a/c became the norm although 'Panoramic' roofs seem all the rage now.
Cars in my care:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

My Suzuki had an aftermarket sunroof in it's removable hard top :roll: . It had been sealed with lashings of clear silicon and leaked like a sieve when I first had it, after a bit of fettling it was fine and never leaked again.

The Volvo is the first proper car I've had in 15 years or more that doesn't have a factory fitted sunroof, I don't miss it at all. Occasionally opened the one on the Pug but that was for novelty factor more than function. :D
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly

Post by Welly »

DaiRees wrote:My Suzuki had an aftermarket sunroof in it's removable hard top :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cars in my care:
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

The sunroof in my car is great. I get the fresh air and ventilation,
but without all the wind roar of opened side windows.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

The sunroof is a bit of a gimmick, but nice to have on the 406 as the cover slides over it so it doesn't cause any annoyance. The 305 on the other hand had an alfa romeo sunroof installed, apart from the fact it doesn't really fit in with the grooves of the roof, it was impressive that it didnt leak.

But it was a bit rubbish, it only popped up about 2 inches, and my dad who has a bit less thatch on the top of his head had to wear a hat while driving the car on a sunny day to avoid getting sunburn.