Interior bulbs.

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

clarkey1984
1.8 8v

Interior bulbs.

Post by clarkey1984 »

Hi everyone, i have had a quick check on mycarbulbs and found out what all my exterior lights take, and have ordered silvatec style for the front and rear indicators and the side repeaters, as well as clear side repeater lenses, and also 2 pairs of H7 super white headlight bulbs and the 501 capless for the sidelights to match (i cant stand the standard yellowy light) and now i want to sort the interior too.

In my last 3 cars (mk1 MX5, E46 and E36 BMW) i replaced every single interior bulb for the much cleaner looking (and power saving) SMD LED white items, it brightened up the cabin so much compared to the dingy looking glow from the regular bulbs, and i wish to do the same to the 406, but i dont have any idea whats what in this car. I did it by trial and error in the past on those cars but i bought so many bulbs that were either too long too short or too fat to fit into the holder (most were festoon type) and id really rather not go through that all again if i can help it.

Does anyone know what fits where on these by any chance?
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Interior bulbs.

Post by mjb »

I believe the bulbs are the same (courtesy, map reading, glovebox, boot) and a tight fit. If you've got a D9, be aware that LEDs could cause BSI-related problems
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
clarkey1984
1.8 8v

Post by clarkey1984 »

I see, cheers. Im not familiar with BSI, but if its anything like the canbus system that my old E46 had then i know only too well, i swapped the sidelights and number plate lights for LED ones and as soon as i put the ignition on all 4 corners lit up on the dash bulb warning thing as blown, i then had to re replace everything again with the error free ones :(
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

clarkey1984 wrote:I see, cheers. Im not familiar with BSI, but if its anything like the canbus system that my old E46 had then i know only too well, i swapped the sidelights and number plate lights for LED ones and as soon as i put the ignition on all 4 corners lit up on the dash bulb warning thing as blown, i then had to re replace everything again with the error free ones :(
It's kinda the equivalent of BMW's GM module, with added LCM, CCM, RLS and a bit of IKE (which, incidentally, communicate over I-BUS, not CAN). The BSI is relatively fragile electrically speaking and is sensitive to the amount of current and voltage drop on the lighting circuits
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

My car came with l.e.d. interior lights fitted and be aware they only worked with ignition on, very bright but not much use when trying to fasten kids in when its dark so I swapped mine back to standard bulbs.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

I have LEDs in my interior lights, and they are fine. However, it did take a bit of hunting to get pure white ones. Most of them have a blue-ish tinge which I do not get on with as, purely my opinion, they cast a strange shadowy light which I don't like. I got hold of them a few years ago from an EBay shop on Jersey is all I remember about the source. (I am still trying to find them as I also had a pair from them in the sidelamps, which were good as well. Unfortunately, I forgot to take them out when I got rid of it.)
1998 2.1 GLX TD