white dash lights. with pics and guide

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

CBDSonline
1.8 8v

white dash lights. with pics and guide

Post by CBDSonline »

2002 406 Rapier 90 HDi Dash LED colour change

first off this is easy if you know how to solder and have a real temp controlled iron or hot tweezers.
If you have a £5.99 halfrauds soldering iron with a tip like a donkeys you know what then give up now please.

LED's. This board uses 10 x 3528 led's (the size of the led's) for the dial backlight.
2 x 3528 led's for the lcd backlight and 4 x 0608 or 0805 sized led's for the needle lights. ( i did'nt measure them ooops)

If you fancy ya chances at doing it then here goes..

Start by removing your dials.. nice and easy. there is a tute on the forum how to do it.

Ready to get going

Unclip the front Clear plastic to get access to the needles and dials.
Remove the needles (use a pair of spoons to gently lift them up)

Remove the dials they should just lift off once the needles are gone.

NOW a wee tip. up to you if you use it tho.

take a black marker and colour the top of the led's marked with the arrows (it will help later on)

Closer images of the LED's to change

Now you are ready to remove the white plastic housing.
Turn the unit over and with a pair of pliers straighten the metal clips (these hold the millage lcd in place)

Turn the unit front side up and gently remove the small metal bracket the holds the lcd in place.
Gently lift the lcd up and it should release with the rubber contact bridge still attached to the lcd. (put it somewhere safe)

Once its safely out of the way turn the unit back over and un-clip the circuit board from the White Housing

This leaves you with the circuit board ready to de-solder the led's and solder in your new led's

I used a green marker pen and it was difficult to see in the picture so i suggest as above to have used a black marker.

Images of the led locations with arrows to help out if you didnt use the black marker pen tip..

To change the lcd colour there are two led's that sit directly behind the lcd screen (that you removed and marked earlier)

If you want to change the needle colours you have to press the center of the pins thru from back to front on the 2
clips that hold the small needle servo to the board. Under each servo you will find a tiny poss 0608 sized led.
I cheated here and put a small bit of coloured lighting gel over the led ( as in spotlight colour filter gel)
Refit the servo and push the pins back thru from the front of the servo to lock it back in place.
( be careful not to push the pins right thru but push them in so they are flush with the back of the servo clip)

Once you have changed all your led's over to your new colour rebuilding is just the reverse process.
Clip the circuit board back into the white housing.
place the lcd screen back into the correct place and put the metal holder back on then bend the clips on the back side of the board.
place the dial plastics back over the needle holes and make sure to seat the middle part of the tacho and speedo dials.
line your needles up and gently push them home.
Place the front glass back over the dials and it should be job dun.

Hope it might help out if anyone decided to have a try.

Chris
406 D9 2002 in Met blue . Full leather interior. Fully working puddle lights (LED's). Both interior lights work from the front switched light (LED's). Door handle Lights (internal LED's). Yup i love LED's but not as much as the BSI does .
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Re: white dash lights. with pics and guide

Post by OdinEidolon »

Good job! I've always wondered why none of my needles lights up at all...
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Fantastic guide, one for the KB.
What sort of soldering iron do you have, I've been using a weller heat gun with new tips for most work, and it is good but around small circuits there is no control over the heat and its not as precise as a conventional soldering iron. Any links for a good iron?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Fp.
ican get you a soldering iron thats come out of a mobile phone shop,
ive not got aclue what it does but its a profesional jobbie,
the tips are missing tho,
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

A phone shop that would be good, though i have a lidl temperature controlled jobbie and the tips can't be acquired I've looked in lots of places whereas the weller is really easy to get tips for although it seems to get through them very quick
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

FarmerPug wrote:A phone shop that would be good, though i have a lidl temperature controlled jobbie and the tips can't be acquired I've looked in lots of places whereas the weller is really easy to get tips for although it seems to get through them very quick
ive not a clue if you can get tips for this thing mate,
ijust picked it up when i cleared out a Mobile phone /computer shop along with aload of other junk,

the tips where most probs there and got left behind,

ipresume it was for repairing mother boards and phones etc,

carnt find one on ebay, but found one on the www. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2871
Parm
1.8 16v

Post by Parm »

Where did u buy the lights from? :cheesy:
Peugeot 406 2.2Hdi Coupe '02' Plate
Metallic Black(silver & black edition)
Manual, Rear Tints.
Adroxxx

Post by Adroxxx »

What do I do with the orange piece of paper on the back?
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Hey Chris great post,
Any details / guide on doing the led puddle lights & door handle lights as I would love to do this to mine 8)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
DocOctober

Post by DocOctober »

An excellent guide, currently in the middle of changing the dash lights myself (white for the dials, red for the needles, blue for the LCD)

When measuring the small LEDs below the servos, I noticed that their actual size was 2214 instead of your 0605 or 0805.