Vinyl Wrapping The Roof

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Vinyl Wrapping The Roof

Post by Gary406 »

when i got my d8 back in december 2011 it had a very bad rust spot around the aerial so diceded to investigate while weathers been good.
so i removed the aerial to find bathroom black silicone sealant inside the base of the aerial.
for good sakes why did sum1 do this. this is the reason all the paint and metal started to rot. DO NOT USE HOUSEHOLD SILICONE ON CARS IT WILL EVENTUALLY ROT ITS WAY THROUGH THE PAINT.
anyway the aerial base was also rotten and snapped so a trip to local scrap yard today and got me a nice shiney newish one.

i chipped all the pitted rusty metal off to find a huge space . so i sanded and sanded till i come to shiny clean metal then put 2 coats of ku rust on it. then applied a few coats of filler over the top and now its ready for paint,. but paint is gonna cost about £17 to get it made same colour and then i will still end up with a patch or different reds so i dont wanna go that route.

i was thinking ov covering the whole roof with red carbon fibre vinyl wrap this will definately stop water from getting to it in the future to stop it returing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320862205616? ... 1423.l2649
heres a pic of the work so far as you can see its a good sized patch that needed repair.

2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
midsdaz
3.0 24v

Re: Vinyl Wrapping The Roof

Post by midsdaz »

I just brought some of this stuff to do few interior bits they rekin it comes with a 7 year life span for exterior panels so prob would be worth while and atleast it will be all one colour it seems
Easy enough
To
Put
On but I have only done small parts but I suppose with a bit of patients should be ok
2.1 glx p reg d9 half leather electric seats d9 centre console leather steering wheel front lag splitter de badged front end strut brace all grey bits of interior is now black
Things to do finish off fitting leather door cards,coil overs,window tint, fit wolfrace wheels with 20 mm spacers 225.45.17 and the list will continue
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

ive ordered a small peice for £1.50 as a sample. i may just cover the patch yet . it may just look like the aerial is sat on some kids of base. will see how it looks.
but i like the idea of wrapping the whole roof. could be tricky tho , mine has a sunroof :?
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

It would look very retro with a vinyl roof, the last time they were the whole go they were sitting on top of ford granadas and austin princesses :cheesy:

Although on a more serious note if putting vinyl on a 406's roof its not too bad, the vinyl just stops at the door edges under the top seal which is easy to get tidy, even round the sunroof with a heat gun it could be shrunk to fit although the sunroof may push the vinyl out of the road after time. The back of the car has no line for the vinyl to hide into which could be tricky i.e. where does it stop and it would need a tidy cut line where it finishes.
A bit of spray around the area wouldn't be too bad, is it an area of the car looked at that often? and the sun should fade the paint fairly quickly until it blends in, even using a bit of t cut once its dried will help.
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

i can get it professionally done for £90 but that would be silly. i can get the whole roof sprayed for £50 .
but i dont wanna start re-painting whole panels cos nowadays they never do it properly and 2 years down the line it will start bubbleing .

i will probably make a small square with the red vinyl ive ordered and just sit the aerial on it. so it will just look like the aerial has a base thingy if u get me.

i'll have a closer look today around the front and rear screens to see were i could tuck it into .... its only 17 quid for a full roof peice so may be worth a shot at it.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

£50 sounds very good value for respraying the roof, my spoiler cost £100 to spray.
some places it might bubble after a while but a decent paint shop wont leave it able to bubble and if rust eater was used and there is a good correct sealant under the aeriel it shouldnt rust.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Mask the car up and rattle can it, for a small area like that it wouid be fairly easy,
especialy this weather as the paint will dry as quick as it goes on
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

ye could do but i think it would be noticable so may as well just stick a patch of vinyl on it which will be patchy as well but will save a few quid trying to spray i supose.

still thinking of wrapping the whole roof. think it would look good.

if the little sample ive ordered looks good i'll buy a full sheet and do it all i think
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

A bit off topic but yesterday a saw Porsche 911 in Aylesbury totally chrome wrapped,looked like a bloody spaceship!
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

grasmere59 wrote:A bit off topic but yesterday a saw Porsche 911 in Aylesbury totally chrome wrapped,looked like it had been comprehensively ruined!
Fixed that for you.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.