window tinting

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

grasmere59
3.0 24v

window tinting

Post by grasmere59 »

Has anyone experience of window tinting,i want to tint out the boot area side windows on my estate as i have a new dog and want to protect him from the sun when travelling in the back,i have fitted a rear blind to the tailgate glass so thats not a problem but i've been quoted silly money for just doing the 2 windows which aren't even openers,i was going to have a go myself but has anyone out there done it and if so how hard was it and what make of tint film did you use?
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: window tinting

Post by lozz »

its easy to do mate,
15mins per window 8)
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

lozz wrote:its easy to do mate,
15mins per window 8)
Spill the beans then i'd like to do it for the same reasons.
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

for the tint,
iuse this company, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Window-Ti ... 43a9f5916a

ive orderd alot off them in the past never had a problem with it,
and its cheap especialy as its a kit, halfords charge 10quid or so just for the squeege and triming knife,
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

its apeice of cake,

1st thing you need a spray bottle, get some johnso'ns baby shampoo make up a soloution not too soapy atable spoon is enough,
clean glass, not just the insides, out sides as well,

the Glass has to be totaly spotless any specks or remants of stickers and it will look amess, (Clean with meths if you have anything sticky on the glass)

you work on the out side of the glass not the inside, all the cutting is done on the outside,

Left window becomes right window inside tint , if you get me :roll:

also as your pulling the backing off the film use two peices of cellotape one peice either side of the film to get the backing off or it will tear,
as your pulling the backing off do it slowly and spray water on it as its coming off if you dont you will end up throwning it in the bin :roll:

Make sure you soak the glass this will allow you to move the film around, once its in position, get the squeege supplied with the kit and work the water and air bubbles out of the film, iused a peice of toilet paper folded neatly on the squeegy this stops the film getting scratched,
Last edited by lozz on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

I was looking at the back windows and as they have a black border around them anyway i would have thought the wouldn't have ti be that precise as it would be lost into the black border?
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

grasmere59 wrote:Has anyone experience of window tinting,i want to tint out the boot area side windows on my estate as i have a new dog and want to protect him from the sun when travelling in the back,i have fitted a rear blind to the tailgate glass so thats not a problem but i've been quoted silly money for just doing the 2 windows which aren't even openers,i was going to have a go myself but has anyone out there done it and if so how hard was it and what make of tint film did you use?
These guys did mine:

http://www.mastertints.com/

& they did all windows (including a light tint on the front) for less than £200. There's actually a pic of my car in the bottom right hand corner of their gallery of window tints. Most companies were quoting £350 just for behind the B-pillar & wouldn't touch the front. The guys that have seen my old Pug can testify that they did a very good job.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

no mate, it dosent need to be bang on,
but if you apply it to the outside glass and do the cutting outside, it will end up straight,
ijust used a Mobile phone top up card as a guide to cut across, gives anice straight cut no tears that way
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Demondriver

Post by Demondriver »

I tint windows for alot of people i know, the above guide is pretty much spot on however with the boot window as it has curves in it, it becomes alot harder job.
You need to put the film on the outside as always cut it down so you have approx 1/4 f an inch left over (the black border) tape each corner down to stop it moving
get the edges flat down so you have all the fingers on the top and bottom.

use a hot air gun on top and underneath the film so shrink it to the shape of the glass. use the squeegee to push the film down

dont heat it too muh at any time in oneplace as it will burn and you will throw it away.

take your time on boot windows and read up/ watch videos before hand! they will help alot.

I have already done the side windows on my estate however i have not yet done my boot window so i will take pictures as doing that one at each stage and build a how to for it:)

if you need any help tinting any windows pm me and i will advise as best as i can
if you dont have a hot air gun, a hair dryer is ok
Syncros
1.8 8v

Post by Syncros »

I plan to do my front 2 windows to the legal limit and the rest slightly darker. I've had cars done professionally previously and although the results are amazing (and you get a material warrantee etc) i just can't justify the expense. You can get pre-cut tint for £40-£50 of fleeBay, which is the route i think i'm going to take on my 406.
Diablo 99' 406 HDi 110 Executive 8)
boombang
1.8 16v

Post by boombang »

Just to mention that insurers may well view this as a modification.

Admiral and their group charge something like £30 a year more if you have them fitted.

I only know as Admiral claimed I had them (from a quote obtained from Bell apparently) so took £30 from my credit card, without consent. In case anyone interested I did get my money back, an apology and a goodwill gesture, but given their previous error of cancelling insurance without telling me it's the final straw.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Window tinting shouidnt Affect the insurance idont think,
obviously if the fronts get tinted they Might see that as a Risk,

Ive Tinted loads of cars, And My insurers have never charged Me any Extra,
If anything id say Window Tints Make window Glass Slightly safer. at least if for what ever reasons it Gets Shatterd there wouid be less spread of the Glass or splinters of it,

Also ithink if a car has Rear tints it Makes it less atractive for the likes of Opertunist theives looking for a quick smash and grab of something thats left in clear view,
boombang
1.8 16v

Post by boombang »

I agree but then I'm not the insurer, just passing on info.

Just beware if you fit it and don't declare it, it's another excuse for them not to pay out - can see them using it if you claimed for a break in.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Yeah good point mate,

always best to Declare it or even Ask before fitting it in the First place to see if they Whack you with any extra fee's