Rear passenger foot well wet

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

joee
1.6 8v

Rear passenger foot well wet

Post by joee »

Hi all,

just noticed my rear passenger foot well is wet, no where else is just here behind the seat. Its not wet as in you can see the water but when you touch it its brave and damp. Almost soaked through a laptop bag that had been sitting all day.

cheers again for any help
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: Rear passenger foot well wet

Post by highlander »

Checked the spare wheel well in the boot? That's a favourite place for water to pool up. If it is brim-full, any time you brake, you'll send rainwater down the back of the seats and into the passenger cabin where it will be absorbed by the carpet and by the sound insulation material between the carpet and the body shell.

Don't allow this to continue under any circumstances - else you'll risk rust and mouldy velour/leather. Also, if the water pools up too much in the rear, then it will spread into the front foot wells. Under the front footwell carpeting you'll find various important electrical connectors, which don't like getting wet. Electrical gremlins abound.

If the spare wheel well is dry, other possible places for water leakage are:

- the radio aerial
- through any rips in the weather-proof sheeting behind the door cards
- through any perished rubber on the door seals
- through any holes in the body shell underneath the carpeting

Hope you get this sorted out soon!
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
joee
1.6 8v

Post by joee »

cheers for your post

I checked the spare wheel and it was done dry thankfully.

Checked also round the aerial which comes in at the front/middle of the windscreen. No damp round that area and seal looks grand around the aerial.

Checked round the doors as well and nothing obivous. the carpet is dry up along the sill, its more to the middle of the floor/under the seat.

I also gave a look under neath her and didnt seen anything but will look again in day light.

Think the next step is to pull the carpet up and see whats going on
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

Pull the carpet and sprinkle some talcum powder around the area,hose the car down and if there is any water ingress you will see the tracks in the talcum powder,that is the method the garage used on my BMW when i had a leak in the boot after a bodywork repair.
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

you also need to remove the door cards.
once you remove them you will notice a sponge type sheet stuck to the door , this is the door seal that stops water coming into the car that runs down the window and inside the door.

under each door are a few drain holes . open the door and look under it on the bottom edge you will see them. if these get blocked water will build up inside the door and seep into the car.

also the seal could have been took off in the past to maybe fix the door lock inside the door and never put back correctly.
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
DonJFO

Post by DonJFO »

Hi all,

did you get this one solved?
I have the exact same problem.

Any help regarding this matter would be highly appreciated!
Can't figure this out on my own..

Thanks ! :)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Wasn't there something in the past about water leaking in around the rear lights?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

DaiRees wrote:Wasn't there something in the past about water leaking in around the rear lights?
yep thats where it used to get in on my saloon

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
hammerman
2.0 Turbo

Post by hammerman »

Check the rear door seals.Mine leaked once from the left rear door.Near the hinge,the water was running in,over the plastic kick trim onto the carpet.I cut a small hole through the top of the seal,& the water drains away.Carpet all dry still after years,but dont konw why it did it :?
2003 Hdi Est SE
DonJFO

Post by DonJFO »

Hi everyone,

the problem is, that mine's a coupe :D
No rear doors :)

I managed to narrow this down into a few possible causes today(it has been dry all summer, exept for once!!)

1. Water does not appear after heavy rain into the footwell.
2. water does not appear after washing the car with normal hose.
3. water does appear after pressure wash

Since there was no water at all where the spare tyre is, could it be the rear passenger window?
Even though, everything is dry and looks ok, maybe the water is coming somehow past them?!